CX5 Turbo confirmed!

Forget weights guys, a turbo CX-5 wont break sub-6 seconds because that would kill MPG. Theyre selling a daily driver, not a sports car. Theyll design/tune the engine with an explicit goal of burying all of the NA engines negative reviews about low power while sacrificing the least amount of fuel economy.

^^Agreed it would likely be a high 6 post break-in. That said the sudden rush of torque at 2k rpms makes it seem faster than it is. On the CX-9 I can get from 40 to 70 really fast. The passing power in the Mazda6 turbo and CX-9 turbo is pretty good. On the CX-9 I'm literally pressing the gas 5% to maintain a steady 65mph. If I don;t be careful I'd get to 80 without even noticing. All this on OEM tires. With higher quality tires expect more kick.

Compared to the Toyota V6 and Honda's 2.0 Turbo (powerplant from Type R) both of which are great engines read the following:

"Still, the 6*s combination of immediate torque and fewer gears has it easily ahead of both the Honda and the Toyota in 30-to-50-mph and 50-to-70-mph acceleration"

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-mazda-6-25t-test-review

This tells me from experience and from reviews that Mazda isn't competing in 0-60 wars. It wants to give you midpack power off the line but with class leading passing power when you need it.

Forget weights guys, a turbo CX-5 won*t break sub-6 seconds because that would kill MPG. They*re selling a daily driver, not a sports car. They*ll design/tune the engine with an explicit goal of burying all of the NA engine*s negative reviews about low power while sacrificing the least amount of fuel economy.

They've already designed/tuned it for the other applications so I can't imagine the CX-5 will get anything specific.. It's tuned like a diesel really which is perfect for a heavy SUV- its brilliant in the CX9, considerably less so in the turbo6 which could/should imo be a 3 series on the cheap.

Is that really a fair comparison? Promising that an AA retrofit is coming sells cars that are currently on the lot.

Dealers were making up bogus dates and timeframes for AA/CP coming to Mazda for years, so yes I do believe until you see something actually coming that they don't necessarily know any more than you or me.

The EPA tune can be remapped so you can get the full range of performance throughout he power band.. not just a peak hp to keep emission low for EPA testing. OVtune is already tuning cx-9 turbo. That aussie guy was getting 6 second 0-60 from his tuned awd cx5 diesel (not ovtuned) with a stock engine..

Forget weights guys, a turbo CX-5 won*t break sub-6 seconds because that would kill MPG. They*re selling a daily driver, not a sports car. They*ll design/tune the engine with an explicit goal of burying all of the NA engine*s negative reviews about low power while sacrificing the least amount of fuel economy.

I agree. It's all about tractability at lower RPM and on-demand passing power.

The NA engine is perfectly adequate at both of these things (I'm actually kind of impressed at how well it pulls at low RPM), but there is something about the effortlessness of turbo torque that is appealing.

Not quite.

Top spec Akera 2.5 NA weighs 1677kg whilst top spec 6 2.5T Atenza weighs 1620kg

The 2.5T engine if I am not mistaken weighs more than the 2.5 NA so the Akera 2.5T would weigh more.

Extra power and better traction (when AWD is actually used - most of the time it's actually FWD) won't be enough compensation for the extra weight.

Maybe we will see. I stand by my prediction of 5.7-6.3.

Dealers were making up bogus dates and timeframes for AA/CP coming to Mazda for years, so yes I do believe until you see something actually coming that they don't necessarily know any more than you or me.

Yes, but under the premise that if they bought a car today, Mazda would soon let them add the AA feature. That sells cars.

You cant retrofit a turbo, and you dont sell any cars by telling customers a better version is around the corner. Therefore, I dont see why theyd feel incentivized to proactively alert a customer about bogus news.

Last edited:
Yes, but under the premise that if they bought a car today, Mazda would soon let them add the AA feature. That sells cars.

You can*t retrofit a turbo, and you don*t sell any cars by telling customers a better version is around the corner. Therefore, I don*t see why they*d feel incentivized to proactively alert a customer about bogus news.

Well they told people the cx5 d was around the corner...

UK is getting the 2.5 NA in a Mazda 6 now, so who knows we could eventually see the 2.5T, at least in the 6.

Well they told people the cx5 d was around the corner...

That was an official announcement years ago, so salespeople were just reciting the company line. Again, mich different than a salesman texting customers out of the blue with bogus news about an upcoming car. Still failing to see the motive for passing uninformed info, but if a motive exists, Im all ears.

You mean in terms of inflated price?

I find the Edge annoying because I want to like it but it*s design is so stale. Dear Ford, 2007 called and they want their euro style taillights back.

Yeah, I don't want a racer boy 50K SUV. I hope they keep the MSRP of the AWD signature version to 35-36K.

That was an official announcement years ago, so salespeople were just reciting the company line. Again, mich different than a salesman texting customers out of the blue with bogus news about an upcoming car. Still failing to see the motive for passing uninformed info, but if a motive exists, I*m all ears.

What official line was my sales rep reciting when he said they were all on a ship in the bay in California just waiting for approval to be unloaded? ROFL!

Back