Burnt Clearcoat

Heh, re-read his posts. His company has a guy who washes them twice a week.

Re-read it again. "The guy washes here two times a week, I wash it around three weeks intervals. Longer in the winter(no salt here).
He waxed it, two times each year."
That means the guy is there twice a week washing employee cars. OP has the guy do his every third week.

Re-read it again. "The guy washes here two times a week, I wash it around three weeks intervals. Longer in the winter(no salt here).
He waxed it, two times each year."
That means the guy is there twice a week washing employee cars. OP has the guy do his every third week.

From his first post on the matter...

We have a guy at work, who washes and waxes our cars, two days a week.

I think he means that guy does it twice a week, and then he does it himself every three. He also asked the guy about it. Although apparently the waxing is twice a year, not twice a week.

My thinking is there isn't much wax on the paint from all this washing and only occasional waxing (and its unknown the type of wax this is). If you look at sun damaged cars the damage is usually a little uneven - lots of variables I'm sure. I wonder if sun gets focused on that area naturally from the shape. Wash guy probably uses a power washer too. I've always preferred as little pressure as necessary to avoid scraping particles on the coat.

Quality wax has UV protectant in it and will absolutely help avoid this kind of issue.

Last edited:
There is a misunderstanding here. That guy washes cars, at the workplace twice a week, I wash my car, once a month.
That guy, even offered to call the dealership, and pretend to be me.
I can't ask him, to do that for me.

Chris, can I ask you please a favor? Could you please fix the title of this thread?
Thanks

With the way factory paintbooths work, there would be hundreds of vehicles with this, or more. That's why I'm very skeptical.

Paintbooth has nothing to due with defective clear coat, moisture getting in the air line etc. Stuff happens all the time when you are painting via robot or hand held gravity feed spray gun. It usually shows up right away or over delayed time.

I appreciate your skepticism and cannot say for certain. But having a car that sits in the sun all of the time, pressure washing when washing and painting several vehicles and understanding bad reactions I'm skeptical that it was caused by his detailer, the sun or over washing. Some posters do not seem to understand the nature of paint and clear coats. Its cause can also be vandalism in which someone sprayed something on the roof. Don't know but to me its an easy fix no matter what caused it.

The sun will definitely do that over time, but seems a little premature for the age of the car. But then again, bright colors like blue and red tend to suffer the most.

Was it ever properly hand waxed? Car wash solutions or detailing sprays with a wax additive don't offer much protection. If it*s out in the California sun all day, it really should be hand waxed 3-4 times a year. Especially the parts that never see shade, like the roof.

My bright Yellow Mica '03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege has spent it's entire life outside in the California sun, a block from the pounding surf (read: saltwater all over it constantly).
Nothing like that ever, and I don't even religiously wax it. I mean I guess I did for the 1st 5 years or so, but not anymore. I wax the MSP about 3 times a year if it's lucky. The only corrosion on the car is under the weird plasti-dip like coating that's on the B-pillars; probably from 15 years of my grubby mits grabbing it there.

That looks like a defect in the paint.

Everybody keeps saying the waxing. My previous cars, never been waxed(while I have owned them) and they never had this issue.
I have purchased my first car in this country in 96', it was a 88' Volvo 760T in pristine condition, which was 10 years old. It was in like showroom condition.
Later on, I have purchased a 95' Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas, which was 9 years old, in pristine condition.
I have purchased a 94' Mazda MX6-LS, for my wife, which was 7 years old, in pristine condition(only had a bad motorized antenna).

Everybody keeps saying the waxing. My previous cars, never been waxed(while I have owned them) and they never had this issue.
Me too. Never waxed the last two cars, owned for 8 and 6 years, and they both looked great the day I sold them.

here is how I keep my paint on my cars looking like new-->always hand wash at home/Never use electric buffer/ keep them in a garage/ apply Zanino Z2 every other wash/ only wash when car looks dirty. Simple and effective.

I would also vote that it looks like someone was too aggressive with the electric buffer on the OP's car. But never hurts to see if Mazda would help you out

Back