2017 Grand Touring - City Mileage Only Should It Be Better?

Nyrjoe

:
2017 CX5 GT
Hi everyone,

Have 6k miles on the vehicle. Most of the mileage till now has been combined, getting around 23, 24. For the last 500 or so miles it's been pure City driving. Doing 3 mile trips daily with A/C on and getting 15-16. Checked tire pressure and all is OK, also have tried getting gas from different stations. I know avoiding A/C and being more light footed could improve these #'s. My hope when getting the car was to be closer to 20 for City. For those who are using the vehicle for City driving only, are you getting better?

3 mile trips is not enough for you to get better mileage.

In order to get better fuel efficiency, you would need to minimum double that or the duration needs to be greater.

Anything under 15 minutes in stop/start traffic won't improve the figures

Over 12,500 kms on mine, mileage for the last three or four fuel ups has been at approx. 12 L/100km (19.6 MPG). All driving done in a city with no freeways, with a couple of short stretches of 80 km/h (50 mph) roads on my commute. Most roads are 50 to 70 km/h. I'm no granny driver either, and the A/C is almost always on.

EDIT: s***, just realized this was posted in the CX-5 section. Disregard and carry on, lol

I do 12 kilometre (7.45 miles) commute which takes about 20 minutes once a week. My speed varies as follows depending on traffic:

6.8 kilometres (4.23 miles) at 50 km/h (31.07 mph)
3.8 kilometres (2.36 miles) at 70 km/h (43.50 mph)
1.4 kilometres (0.87 miles) at 60 km/h (37.28 mph)

The official urban fuel consumption figure here is 9.2 L /100 km (25.57 US MPG)

I average between 8.2 L / 100 KM to 8.8 L / 100 KM (26.73 US MPG to 28.68 US MPG) on this trip due to the combination of distance as well as duration (including variable traffic conditions).

If this trip was shorter in distance and duration, I know I would be getting more than the official urban fuel consumption figure.

I do 12 kilometre (7.45 miles) commute which takes about 20 minutes once a week. My speed varies as follows depending on traffic:

6.8 kilometres (4.23 miles) at 50 km/h (31.07 mph)
3.8 kilometres (2.36 miles) at 70 km/h (43.50 mph)
1.4 kilometres (0.87 miles) at 60 km/h (37.28 mph)

The official urban fuel consumption figure here is 9.2 L /100 km (25.57 US MPG)

I average between 8.2 L / 100 KM to 8.8 L / 100 KM (26.73 US MPG to 28.68 US MPG) on this trip due to the combination of distance as well as duration (including variable traffic conditions).

If this trip was shorter in distance and duration, I know I would be getting more than the official urban fuel consumption figure.

Hi mate , what's your overall fuel consumption with a tank of fuel and how many km's are you averaging with a tank?

Ive purchased a 2018 Akera and averaging 13.5km/100 and am not impressed at all at this stage .

Hi everyone,

Have 6k miles on the vehicle. Most of the mileage till now has been combined, getting around 23, 24. For the last 500 or so miles it's been pure City driving. Doing 3 mile trips daily with A/C on and getting 15-16. Checked tire pressure and all is OK, also have tried getting gas from different stations. I know avoiding A/C and being more light footed could improve these #'s. My hope when getting the car was to be closer to 20 for City. For those who are using the vehicle for City driving only, are you getting better?

As people have said, the Mazda engine uses tons of gas until warmed up. In 3 miles, your car almost never warms up and am actually surprised you got that high of a figure.

As people have said, the Mazda engine uses tons of gas until warmed up. In 3 miles, your car almost never warms up and am actually surprised you got that high of a figure.

This, I am primarily city driving these days as well, but I can get 25-26 MPG because each trip is about 20 miles and 30-45 minutes.

This, I am primarily city driving these days as well, but I can get 25-26 MPG because each trip is about 20 miles and 30-45 minutes.

When I would use the remote start, I could literally see the MPG numbers on the computer drop. It was basically a timer, going down 0.1 MPG every minute it was warming up.

Back