CX-9 Steering Wheel Wrap

tennishsu

:
Mazda CX-9 2018 Touring
After repeatedly telling myself I will never wrap another steering, here's number 4. Even though wrapping a steering wheel takes blood, sweat and tears, oh did I mention multiple hours to complete, it's one of the few mods you can truly enjoy on a daily basis. Even after 4 steering wheel wraps, this project still took me roughly 3 hours to complete with the most difficult part was stitching the 3 and 9 position flaps, but overall I am very satisfied with the final results. Here's to never wrapping another wheel! (drinks)

The wrap is the perforated microfiber style with OEM matching gray stitching.

wak9k5.jpg

2vmhy88.jpg

Wow!! That looks very well done, almost like it came from the factory like that (it should have..). I saw these all over eBay but doing my own stitching seemed so daunting. Any tips for someone who might want to try it someday?

Wow!! That looks very well done, almost like it came from the factory like that (it should have..). I saw these all over eBay but doing my own stitching seemed so daunting. Any tips for someone who might want to try it someday?

I would begin by watching as many steering wheel stitching tutorials on YouTube and give yourself a full weekend for the project.

Tips:
  • Ensure the wrap is perfectly lined up before stitching
  • To reduce neck strain, rotate the steering wheel so you're always stitching at a downward comfortable position (I don't like to dry steer, so I opted for stitching at all angle route).
  • Use a headlamp!
  • Using double sided tape to secure the wrap to the OEM steering wheel is not necessary
  • Always keep tension on the previous stitch

Have fun!

That looks really good! OEM like as sm1ke mentioned. My complain with the OEM is not thick enough and material is slippery. This wrap probably solves my complain but I'm not skilled enough to tackle such project.

really nice ,looks great i was looking to get one but can't find who makes wrap like that , i have previously bought from redlinegoods for my cx7 and was great but they dont make for 2016 cx9 , what brand or where did you find it?

Not sure if this is the one he went with, but looks very similar. Very nice for a wrap/cover. It definitely looks OEM. Wish they made one like this for the Miata.

Eiseng DIY Genuine Black Leather Steering Wheel Cover Custom Fit for 2017 2018 Mazda 3 Mazda 6/2017 2018 Mazda CX-5/2016 2017 2018 Mazda CX-9 38CM 15inches Stitch Interior Accessories (Red Thread) https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

While this looks nice in our weather esp now that it's cold then I fear I won't be able to utilize the heated stering wheel function...i need this function more than the aesthetic and feel of the wrap. In places where you won't really use the heated function then this wrap looks good!

While this looks nice in our weather esp now that it's cold then I fear I won't be able to utilize the heated stering wheel function...i need this function more than the aesthetic and feel of the wrap. In places where you won't really use the heated function then this wrap looks good!

They claim its 100% genuine leather... why would you think you wouldnt be able to use the heated steering wheel function? Im guessing heat would still transfer through the wrap; or wouldnt it?

It'll definitely transfer through. I currently have a steering wheel cover on mine and whenever I use the heated steering wheel function, I can still feel it through the thick cover. A stitched wrap like this shouldn't make any difference when comparing with the OEM wheel.

Back