Thread: CX-9 Steering Wheel Wrap

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 2018 Touring

CX-9 Steering Wheel Wrap

After repeatedly telling myself I will never wrap another steering, here's number 4. Even though wrapping a steering wheel takes blood, sweat and tears, oh did I mention multiple hours to complete, it's one of the few mods you can truly enjoy on a daily basis. Even after 4 steering wheel wraps, this project still took me roughly 3 hours to complete with the most difficult part was stitching the 3 and 9 position flaps, but overall I am very satisfied with the final results. Here's to never wrapping another wheel!

The wrap is the perforated microfiber style with OEM matching gray stitching.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Wow!! That looks very well done, almost like it came from the factory like that (it should have..). I saw these all over eBay but doing my own stitching seemed so daunting. Any tips for someone who might want to try it someday?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 2018 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Wow!! That looks very well done, almost like it came from the factory like that (it should have..). I saw these all over eBay but doing my own stitching seemed so daunting. Any tips for someone who might want to try it someday?
    I would begin by watching as many steering wheel stitching tutorials on YouTube and give yourself a full weekend for the project.

Tips:
    • Ensure the wrap is perfectly lined up before stitching
    • To reduce neck strain, rotate the steering wheel so you're always stitching at a downward comfortable position (I don't like to dry steer, so I opted for stitching at all angle route).
    • Use a headlamp!
    • Using double sided tape to secure the wrap to the OEM steering wheel is not necessary
    • Always keep tension on the previous stitch

Have fun!

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

That looks really good! OEM like as sm1ke mentioned. My complain with the OEM is not thick enough and material is slippery. This wrap probably solves my complain but I'm not skilled enough to tackle such project.