2017~2024 P0524 Check Engine Light on 3 Month Old 2018 CX-5 AWD Touring

Maybe they'll kaizen some improvements into the 2020 year. Was looking forward to it, too. Sounds like it's turning out to be a dud.
Actually the Dynamic Force 2.5L and 8-speed auto on RAV4 have been out for more than a year since 2018 Camry. I wouldn't worry too much on reliability for the drive train. The noisy engine during idle is a surprise but shouldn't affect the reliability. 203 hp feels a little stronger than my 2016 CX-5. And the main thing for me is the fuel economy on this new drive train. Based on EPA FE estimates and real-world data from Fuelly on 2018 Camry, a better fuel economy than my CX-5 is real. Honestly with everything considered, I may have to re-consider a 2019/2020 CX-5 Signature as it'd be cheaper than a full-loaded RAV4 Limited AWD. Between 2 devils (for me) of cylinder deactivation and turbo charger, I may choose turbo. But fuel economy on 2.5T is pitiful.

Actually the Dynamic Force 2.5L and 8-speed auto on RAV4 have been out for more than a year since 2018 Camry. I wouldn't worry too much on reliability for the drive train. The noisy engine during idle is a surprise but shouldn't affect the reliability. 203 hp feels a little stronger than my 2016 CX-5. And the main thing for me is the fuel economy on this new drive train. Based on EPA FE estimates and real-world data from Fuelly on 2018 Camry, a better fuel economy than my CX-5 is real. Honestly with everything considered, I may have to re-consider a 2019/2020 CX-5 Signature as it'd be cheaper than a full-loaded RAV4 Limited AWD. Between 2 devils (for me) of cylinder deactivation and turbo charger, I may choose turbo. But fuel economy on 2.5T is pitiful.

Guess I'll have to decide for myself next model year and check them out. I like the fact that you can choose which AWD mode that you want.

Guess I'll have to decide for myself next model year and check them out. I like the fact that you can choose which AWD mode that you want.
Yeah we have to set our own priority straight as theres no perfect car available for us. My first priorities are reliability and fuel economy. I dont care too much on power as the power of my current 187hp 2.5L 2016 CX-5 is good enough for me. Therere many configurations on new RAV4 with different AWD setups. Unfortunately we cant find any AWD in Texas unless the trim level has AWD as the default. Ive to decide between RAV4 Limited or CX-5 Signature which will only come with AWD.

There is a TSB for this and it is strickly for 2018 CX 5 with VINS lower than JM3KF******406225. These have a manufacture date before May 7, 2018.
The issue is software code that controls the engine oil valve and causes it to work too slowly in certain situations. This results in engine oil pressure rising too slowly and setting a low oil pressure OBD code PO 524.
Dealer will check oil pressures and as long as it meets spec, the update to the PCM with be performed. TSB was issued 10/18/2018 TSB # 01-020-18

here are the normal oil pressures excpected

RPM Normal oil pressure
650 50 kpa (7 psi) or more
1,500 110-175 kpa (16.0 - 25.3 psi)
4500+ 300-430 kpa (43.6 - 62.3 psi)

it can be viewed through obd.

Thanks for this thread.

Wife was driving to Milwaukee this morning and out of no where the oil light popped on, so having no idea had her drive it home to be safe. Then found this thread.

2018 Mazda CX-5 with VIN ending 323***, called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for today. Will loop back.

There is a TSB for this and it is strickly for 2018 CX 5 with VINS lower than JM3KF******406225. These have a manufacture date before May 7, 2018.
The issue is software code that controls the engine oil valve and causes it to work too slowly in certain situations. This results in engine oil pressure rising too slowly and setting a low oil pressure OBD code PO 524.
Dealer will check oil pressures and as long as it meets spec, the update to the PCM with be performed. TSB was issued 10/18/2018 TSB # 01-020-18
Ha this TSB somehow makes me believe this's related to cylinder deactivation from 2018 CX-5! We have no such issue before, and started happening from MY 2018. And the falling rocker arm problem is also related the oil pressure been adjusted too low, at least according to Mazda although IMO there's definitely more involved but Mazda is just not willing to tell.

Thanks for this thread.

Wife was driving to Milwaukee this morning and out of no where the oil light popped on, so having no idea had her drive it home to be safe. Then found this thread.

2018 Mazda CX-5 with VIN ending 323***, called my dealer and scheduled an appointment for today. Will loop back.
How many miles on your 2018 CX-5? Have you changed factory oil yet?

Actually your situation is DIFFERENT from what was described in this thread. Those with problem in this thread had only CEL with P0524 error code, but they didn't have Low Oil Pressure Warning light. Yours has Low Oil Pressure Warning light on without CEL, which is definitely more serious!

You should use free Mazda road service and tow your CX-5 to your dealer as you never know what is going on when the low oil pressure light is on. And when this light is on, it means your engine has low oil pressure which will damage the engine. The owner's manual says don't drive, tow it to the dealer.

Thanks for this thread.

Wife was driving to Milwaukee this morning and out of no where the oil light popped on, so having no idea had her drive it home to be safe.

That was not the safe decision. When the oil pressure light goes on STOP THE ENGINE. To keep driving risks a seized engine. You were lucky this time.

Oil pressure light did not stay on nor did it come back after restart. Oil level was fine. 12000 miles and had its first oil change at 7500.

That was not the safe decision. When the oil pressure light goes on STOP THE ENGINE. To keep driving risks a seized engine. You were lucky this time.

Some of us werent born yesterday like you but thanks. Oil level was fine, light went off and has not come back.

Some of us weren*t born yesterday like you but thanks. Oil level was fine, light went off and has not come back.

Have a bad day today? No need to be offended. If you had said that in the first place, this ancient one would have understood your situation. You left it up to the imagination.

You see, I knew a girl once who did that, and it wasn't pretty. She seized the mains. She wasn't stupid or born yesterday, she was young and just didn't know anything about engines.

But you're right, I should have more faith in people's good sense, like the guy in your avatar.

Back