Lame Mazda commercial, Feel Alive!

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white
Anyone else feel that the new Mazda 'Feel Alive' (how else are you going to feel?) ad campaign is seriously lame?

I haven't seen the TV spot (thank goodness) yet as I've been working on siding my garage and I listen to Pandora while I'm working. That stupid Mazda ad comes on several times an hour and I just couldn't stand it any longer. I had to shut that s*** off.

Chase the sun and feel alive my friends! (puke)

Call me old fashioned but shouldn't a car commercial say something about the car?

I hate it too. Despise actually.
Zoom Zoom
Driving Matters
Feel Alive????
Seriously might be one of the worst in history. And not just Mazda History. Lol

Yes, I think it is pretty generic... not sure if it is limited to just Mazda though.

Here are Toyota's last 40 years...

YskzxZ

"You asked for it, you got it!"
"Oh what a feeling!"
"Who could ask for anything more?"
"I love what you do for me."
"Everyday"
"Get the feeling"
"Moving forward"
"Let's go places"

Last edited:
SAAB and VW had great advertisements many years ago. They appealed to the driver and those interested in the mechanics of the vehicle. Ed

Saab was one of the best back in the day. Even the first 2 or 3 GM campaigns were excellent.

Yeah pretty lame.

Zoom Zoom was really fantastic. They have sort of lost sight of that though let's be honest.

I know a lot of folks here like the new econo (fake) "luxury" design language they are going with now. I for one am not impressed. I guess this marketing is just to go with their new image.

Just like I don't want a rugged Jeep to be some luxurious car, I likewise don't feel it is the right move for all of Mazda's lineup. They need more sports cars and MazdaSpeed cars, etc. If driving matters so much why do I care about all these lame ass nanny features and other crap. Meh.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty lame.

Zoom Zoom was really fantastic. They have sort of lost sight of that though let's be honest.

I know a lot of folks here like the new econo (fake) "luxury" design language they are going with now. I for one am not impressed. I guess this marketing is just to go with their new image.

Just like I don't want a rugged Jeep to be some luxurious car, I likewise don't feel it is the right move for all of Mazda's lineup. They need more sports cars and MazdaSpeed cars, etc. If driving matters so much why do I care about all these lame ass nanny features and other crap. Meh.

+1.

The 'business' Mazda simply markets their product line based on the potential buyer. Hate to say it, but the Gen X'ers are now in their 30's and I'll bet the 'typical' buyer cares more about their gaming system and phone than the car. To the vast majority of them, a car is only a way to get from point A to point B.
But Mazdas LOOK good at a reasonable price so they buy.(bang)

FYI: us GEN X'ers are past our 30's now, bro. LATE 30's to early 50's.
You're thinking of Gen Y.

"There are no precise dates for when Generation X starts or ends. Demographers and researchers typically use birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s to the early 1980s."

Yeah pretty lame.

As Ive said elsewhere, cars are becoming feature rich to compensate for the regulations that are killing fun performance. All companies are dealing with it. Since its a numbers game, most companies stay above the law by selling a ton of bland cars and making smaller number of performance variants. Mazda is one of the few who doesnt go full-bland, and the result is that their cars stand out as the sportiest in each class unless you start comparing apples to oranges. Be thankful for that, because without Mazda, all that is left in this class are yawners like Tucson, Rogue, RAV4, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty lame.

Mazda will always bleed customers no matter what they do. One reason is humans and their thinking changes / evolves with time - Brands and their direction changes too. If somebody could chime in how much Toyota makes selling the 86 vs a Lexus ES350 - what Mazda is doing makes sense. There is some credit to be given as the new Miata is a stunner and it takes a lot of work to best the NC / NA miatas. Plus you need to understand that US car buyers value 0-60 a lot more than low end torque or ability to corner as the roads are straight. Mazda was being compared to Volvo in EU till Volvo went batshit crazy with luxury in 2017 and are now a notch above.

There is no money in base models or cheap cars - mitsubishi sells a loaded mirage for the sticker of base mirage - no point in Mazda competing with it - and you never see the same discounts on a Sport that you see on GT. All dealers here in DFW carry 3 GTs for every Sport they carry.
Bottom line is Mazda can only make 1.6 million cars are year and if they can get more profit per car from going a bit Lux with NVH improvements over mpg etc. - it makes more sense.

Last edited:
As I*ve said elsewhere, cars are becoming feature rich to compensate for the regulations that are killing *fun* performance. All companies are dealing with it. Since it*s a numbers game, most companies stay above the law by selling a ton of bland cars and making smaller number of performance variants. Mazda is one of the few who doesn*t go full-bland, and the result is that their cars stand out as the sportiest in each class unless you start comparing apples to oranges. Be thankful for that, because without Mazda, all that is left in this class are yawners like Tucson, Rogue, RAV4, etc.

You can also thank Mazda for pushing the automakers to add things like HUD etc, which was never heard or known in this segment before. Yes Toyota has more resources than Mazda but they know which side their bread is buttered. As more govt. encourage and reward hybrids they are selling a hybrid CHR etc in EU. Infact in EU top 3 selling hybrids are Toyota's. If we get a Mazda hybrid thats sporty and can keep up with 45 mpg - that would be such a great alternative.

I guess I'm the weird one here...I actually love the new commercials. Although the Coalition of National Zombies Association (CNZA) are outraged!!!

"*'Feel Alive' will be a celebration of human challenge, inspiration, exhilaration and potential and there's no better moment to reveal it than Championship Monday," Mazda North American Operations' Chief Marketing Officer Dino Bernacchi said in a statement."

I like the new campaign though "Zoom Zoom" is classic.

The music on Mazda's 'feel alive' commercial is enough to make me puke.

It sounds like some sissyfied Phil Collins crap.

I liked the "feel alive" idea when they presented it at the last press con, but I'm not really a fan of the implementation. The new commercials are lame.

They should just go back to the previous commercials. The one with the CX-5 and the family with a newborn baby was great. The one with the Miata where it showed the driver going through college, getting a family then coming back to the now ND Miata. I love those commercials. They had a story and it connected with me.

They should just go back to the previous commercials. The one with the CX-5 and the family with a newborn baby was great. The one with the Miata where it showed the driver going through college, getting a family then coming back to the now ND Miata. I love those commercials. They had a story and it connected with me.

I thought those commercials were good as well. Showed how one can grow up through their lineup.

Back