2013 CX-5 Touring AWD high pitch whine above 60mph

nb4tracy

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
Hello, I am feeling at my wits end because I have already spent $5500 to fix this issue at the dealer and just 2 days ago the whine is back. Any advice you can provide would be greatly helpful. This is my first time posting on a forum.

I have a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD with 71k miles on it I purchased it the Seattle area and now live in Florida as May. This is important because the noise did not start until I arrived in Florida this year (summer heat). In 2015, I reported a soft thumping sound that could only be heard when coasting with the windows down. After a few trips to the dealer the rear differential was replaced under warranty. Two other repairs made that in my opinion should not be needed with miles so low were a new water pump and airbag sensors in the passenger seat (this one was $1200).

After driving this car across country with no issues at all and putting about 7000 miles we started to notice a high pitch whine coming from the front of the car, right about where the dashboard is. It would only occur above 60mph and would happen after being warmed up for no more than 20 min of driving at that speed. The noise would come and go and no other activity would increase it or decrease it. I tried no A/C, braking, swerving etc. Multiple passengers who rode with me could hear it.

Knowing that I needed an oil change after all this driving I took it to a dealer in Orlando for this oil change and to investigate the noise in August 2018. They came back with two issues: transfer case is leaking and the noise is coming from the rear diff. They heard this noise while the car was on the rack. So, I paid for both to be fixed totaling about $4k. My 100k/72 month warranty just expired in April. Before they realized that the warranty was expired the warranty company did expect the issue on site and would have approved the repairs if the warranty was in place. At this point I have no reason to not to trust their assessment but to find it odd that the rear diff is being replaced again. Because I am now in Florida and most CX-5 are not AWD this dealer doesn't see a lot of rear diffs.

A week later for the first time since the repairs are made I am driving on the freeway beyond 60mph and the whine is back. So loud, it stops my sister-in-law from talking and she says "that doesn't sound very good". We had only been driving for about 20 min and most likely was driving closer to 70mph. The next day I take it back to the dealer to complain and I do a ride along with the same technician. I was able to replicate it again after 10-20 of driving and he does admit that is not the same noise he heard while the car was on the rack. After a few days they determined it was bearing in the transmission causing the noise when it shifts to the last gear (I might have that detail not quite right). They were great with providing me a discount and replaced the transmission for $1500.

Since then we driven it from Orlando to Boca Raton (3 hours of freeway driving) with no issues. However, just 3 days ago we heard the noise again in the same location and the same sound at the same high speeds. This drive was in the heat of the day (90 degrees) and we heard it about 10 min into driving.

So at this point I am not sure what to do. I need to drive this car starting a new job next month with a 30-40 commute on the freeway.

My questions are:

Do I have a lemon? And who I contact about this?
How do I know that the dealer or any mechanic is not pulling one on me?
Any idea what this could be? I have read through this post and one person fix was the Axel seal failure. Would this have been resealed when the rear diff was replaced?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
There is a TSB for the early transmissions. A bearing is causing the noise. Maybe someone will add more information. Ed

Welcome. Props to posting in the correct subforum.
Have you ever contacted Mazda NA about these issues; specifically before you paid out of pocket for the last repair? Your warranty booklet details the process, which is basically dealer, Mazda NA, then mediator. If you are trying to get some recourse from Mazda, that's the order.

There is a TSB for the early transmissions. A bearing is causing the noise. Maybe someone will add more information. Ed
I found a location to look up TSBs. Do you know of one specially I could reference?

Last edited:
No I haven't tried to contact Mazda about these repairs and will review the warranty booklet as suggested. Thank you

I did see this thread earlier before submitting the post. It is similar however I am still hearing the noise. So either my husband and I are hearing things, the new transmission is faulty or it is something else entirely. I am going to bring it back in if the problem continues. We will be driving a full hour tomorrow on the freeway so that will be a good test. Before I do take it back in I would like to come with more options and not let them call the shots.

I did see this thread earlier before submitting the post. It is similar however I am still hearing the noise. So either my husband and I are hearing things, the new transmission is faulty or it is something else entirely. I am going to bring it back in if the problem continues. We will be driving a full hour tomorrow on the freeway so that will be a good test. Before I do take it back in I would like to come with more options and not let them call the shots.
Front input bearings on your 2013 automatic transmission and rear differential will produce high pitch whine when they*re failing and both have TSBs to cover the fixes of problems and the casing design on both hence has been modified to prevent the failure. Your current high pitch whine IMO is coming your transmission again as I suspect for $1,500, your dealer put in a used transmission as a properly rebuild or a new one would cost you at least $4,000! The other thing is if your dealer keeps using the transmission or rear differential with the same old part number, you would still get the old version with no revision on front casing where the front input bearing could fail eventually!

I don*t know what to say at this point but try to contact Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations about your endless expensive issues. Those Mazda dealers should be aware the revisions on transmission and rear differential, and should get you revised version for those expensive repairs.

You should really dump this 2013 AWD CX-5 long time ago!

Back