Knock sound from rear of CX-5 when cold start and accelerating

:
Mazda, 2017 cx-5, GT
Any one has this?
It happened for me around a month now for my 2017 cx5
Only when I parked my car (turn off the car) and let it cool down for a moment (at least 10 minutes) and next time when I start and shift to drive and pressing the gas pedal slightly (low speed) the car start moving I can hear a very minor click/knock sound from back (or middle??) of my car, and this only happens once each time, but when I drive on the road, stop or even I move to Park it will not has this sound again.
I dropped to the dealer today and they can't replicate this issue for the test drive, but it's really annoying for me as it's still a new car.
Any one has experience for this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Any one has this?
It happened for me around a month now for my 2017 cx5
Only when I parked my car (turn off the car) and let it cool down for a moment (at least 10 minutes) and next time when I start and shift to drive and pressing the gas pedal slightly (low speed) the car start moving I can hear a very minor click/knock sound from back (or middle??) of my car, and this only happens once each time, but when I drive on the road, stop or even I move to Park it will not has this sound again.
I dropped to the dealer today and they can't replicate this issue for the test drive, but it's really annoying for me as it's still a new car.
Any one has experience for this?

Thanks

I had the same exact issue ! it's like a loud clicking sound coming from the middle of the car under the driver seat right ?

I have a felling it's your rear break pad peg not lined up with the groove of the rear driver piston groove.

see my post #22 here in this link : https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861563-Maintenance-Mode-for-2016-2017-CX-5-electronic-brakes&p=6596526#post6596526

Have the dealer check out the rear pads especially the pad in contact withe the caliper piston, I bet the groove is not completely lined up correctly, mine was off from the factory.

The clicking sound your hearing I think is the groove pushing and slipping on the brake pad peg.

I had the same exact issue ! it's like a loud clicking sound coming from the middle of the car under the driver seat right ?

I have a felling it's your rear break pad peg not lined up with the groove of the rear driver piston groove.

see my post #22 here in this link : https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861563-Maintenance-Mode-for-2016-2017-CX-5-electronic-brakes&p=6596526#post6596526

Have the dealer check out the rear pads especially the pad in contact withe the caliper piston, I bet the groove is not completely lined up correctly, mine was off from the factory.

The clicking sound your hearing I think is the groove pushing and slipping on the brake pad peg.

Thanks very much!! I will definitely let them check that!

Hi, I just bought my 2018 Mazda CX5 a couple of months ago and I am having the exact issue that you have.

Did you end up getting it fixed and how?

Thank you.

Hi, I just bought my 2018 Mazda CX5 a couple of months ago and I am having the exact issue that you have.

Did you end up getting it fixed and how?

Thank you.

Sorry haven't login for long time, no still have this sound, did you figure out?
I let the dealer checked several times and nothing they can found.
It only happens the first time car move forward and accelerating, then it's gone and it will not happen again during any drive.
But if I shutdown the car for 10 mins and start again same thing will happen.

Are you using the Hold feature of the parking brake? if Yes, try disabling to see if this fixes the situation.

Are you using the Hold feature of the parking brake? if Yes, try disabling to see if this fixes the situation.

What feature is that? You're not talking about auto hold, are you?

Exact same issue! Had my CX5 in the dealership not too long ago and everything checked out. They dug up this bulletin, which explained the noise that I was consistently getting; it's an ABS check. See attached (published a few years ago, but still applicable all the way to 2019 models) https://mazda.oemdtc.com/38/clunk-b...orward-movement-after-sitting-2004-2015-mazda

So I guess this is normal? and nothing need to be done?

My noise started after 6 months I bought my 17 CX5, also if I just stop my car and shut off for less than 1 minute it will not have the sound, but if I parked a little longer I will hear the sound again.

Yes. I was referring to the Hold feature.

Try turning it off. (Best explanation is that the pads semi stick to the rotors after sitting for a bit and the hold feature is designed to keep them engaged until it senses motion to disengage)

I manually engage/disengage the emergency brake when I park. I used to hear that clunking noise when moving off but found it was because I was too hasty after disengaging to start moving. You can hear the motor in the caliper disengage when you release the parking break for a split second.

OP, turn off the hold feature and if safe to do, do not engage the Parking Brake when parked and see if the noise disappears when you move from Park next time.

Last edited:
Yes. I was referring to the Hold feature.

Try turning it off. (Best explanation is that the pads semi stick to the rotors after sitting for a bit and the hold feature is designed to keep them engaged until it senses motion to disengage)

I manually engage/disengage the emergency brake when I park. I used to hear that clunking noise when moving off but found it was because I was too hasty after disengaging to start moving. You can hear the motor in the caliper disengage when you release the parking break for a split second.

OP, turn off the hold feature and if safe to do, do not engage the Parking Brake when parked and see if the noise disappears when you move from Park next time.

Sorry how to turn off the hold feature?
thanks

You know, auto hold doesn't operate the EPB. It just applies hydraulic pressure to the brake lines.

The EPB does set automatically when you remove your seat belt if auto hold is on, but it shouldn't have any effect on "how" the brake is applied, just "when".

Back