water pump

jshaf57

:
mazda protege 5 hb
I put a timing belt kit with water pump at 115,000 miles on my sons protege 5. Now after only 55,000 more miles the water pump has decided to leak. Do I really have to go thru the timing belt process to change this pump?

Wouldn't think so, should be able to remove drive belts and then just the wp.......did it come with plain paper gasket or that blackish tar paper type or oem kind with the seal lines in it? Is it leaking from the snout or at gasket surface by block? Either way sux to have to deal with it again this soon.

Last edited:
Unfortunately yes, you have to got through the entire process again. The pump is buried behind all the belts.

You may be able to use some stop leak if you want but some say it gums up the whole system. Plus if it's leaking through the bearing it probably won't work.

If you replace the pump make sure you don't over tighten the belt or it will strain the bearing.

This is what the service manual says,... I don't think there is any shortcuts. The T-belt is in the way.

Can you tell who hasn't done their timing belt yet?......or even stared under the hood recently enough to know? Yeah, that'd be me..............Got to be the slowest runup to 100k of any car I've ever owned. Like 98k and going on 15yrs of ownership come January 2019......new from dealership.

Just reported myself in this post for not driving my car enough so no one else would have to. :D

Last edited:
Thinkin it's just as ready timewise as mileage........like my oil changes, based off time instead of miles, lol..............have already loosely been eyein parts to put together everything I need. Already have a NIB oem wp IIRC, lol.....have to hunt it down in parts rack or attic. Broke down and actually bought a battery tender jr. due to infrequency of use just the other day. Love the car, hate the sketchy roads and debris on them. Still haven't pulled the front back off yet and paint bumperskin and MSP lip that got there as result of unavoidable road debris in traffic with nowhere to go around taking out the original and windsplitter. Diggin the lip setup much more, just needs to be 22v not primer black and yellow lip.

Last edited:
.. Broke down and actually bought a battery tender jr. due to infrequency of use just the other day...

I installed a 2.5 W solar panel under my sunroof to keep my battery charged.

I only drive to the grocery store once a week. I can walk to the liquor and beer store.

(this is Canada... We have to go to the beer store)

It seems to be working,.. I've had the same battery in the car since I bought it 9 years ago and the battery was old when I got it.

Does that mean my car is modded ??

Last edited:
I installed a 2.5 W solar panel under my sunroof to keep my battery charged.

I only drive to the grocery store once a week. I can walk to the liquor and beer store.

(this is Canada... We have to go to the beer store)

It seems to be working,.. I've had the same battery in the car since I bought it 9 years ago and the battery was old when I got it.

Does that mean my car is modded ??
That's cool...........and yes, it's modded now.

Just chiming in here to say I thought that was a good one...Haha...Saw the report and thought "what the what"...Then saw your reasoning...;)
oops sorry, didn't think that one thru enuff......kinda like calling 911 as a joke.....I won't play. I'll stick to "I should report myself" post instead.......

Yes, you do. It sucks. You also will need a new valve cover gasket. My sedan would chew through water pumps not made by either Mazda or Beck Arnley. Everything else, the bearings in the water pump pulley would fail. Had one fail in 5k miles.

I piece that service togetherDayco on the timing kit, Beck Arnley on the water pump and Fel Pro on the valve cover gasket.

Back