Protege5 Headlight Intake Project

(u_u) ...zZzZzzz
Thought I'd share this. After swapping out my P5 with sedan headlights, I had extra units laying around and decided to take on a project of building a headlight intake for my friend. Since this driver side lens is already busted, it was good to use for practice. Figure it'd be interesting to share and most likely get tips too.

Parts and pricing so far:
* Headlight: Free
* Revotech aluminum air inlet 63mm opening: $21 shipped (ebay)
* 2.5" flexible duct hose, 2ft long: $28 shipped (ebay)
* Hole saw bits: $10

Goals for end product:
* Cut high beam area on reflector piece for hose
* Cut headlight lens. Practice on busted lens. Get new one later
* Get a driver side outer amber reflective piece, friend want's it there
* Paint chrome bezel flat black
* Figure out a method to glue or secure flexible hose to air inlet
* Make sure headlight is properly sealed so no water gets back in
** Air inlet comes with double side tape but I will be using clear silicone to seal it up as well since our lenses are somewhat curved

I'll update the list if I require more things.

The inspiration comes from here:

attachment.php

12aec5d8a0750077ea845579460d0368.jpg

Last edited:
On to the photos! So I found my caliper after buying the hole saw bits lol. I thought I needed 2.5" but really i need something closer to 2.75" or 3". You can see the air inlet not going in all the way in the second picture. I worked with what I had to at least make the air inlet fit today. The lens is surprisingly thick.

IMG_2562-XL.jpg

IMG_2563-XL.jpg

IMG_2567-XL.jpg

IMG_2570-XL.jpg

IMG_2568-XL.jpg

IMG_2571-XL.jpg

This is going to be sweet! Going to take before and after MAF intake temp readings?

Definitely subbed. Always loved DIY projects like this.

You*re going to have to ask my friend that I*m making it for lol. He*s actually going to route it towards his oil cooler I believe.

Have you considered using PVC or something like that for the tubing instead of the corrugated stuff? I would think the corrugated inside of the tube would play hell on airflow

It is a possibility that I did not mention in the original post but yes, I have considered using a leftover 2.5* fmic piping but it appears challenging because of the way the air inlet sits on the headlight leaves it at an angle. I will prolly still play with it to see if I can use a hard pipe. Might just have to use an angled silicon coupler.

Looks interesting, I've always thought about routing the intake through the foglights, but through the headlights that's really thinking outside the box. Subbin

If you show me where I can buy that sort of thing I will consider it.

EBay,.. You can buy anything on eBay...

But on second thought, the hot exhaust gases may defeat the intended cooling effect ??

I will let you know if my friend approves since the product is for him lol

The most important part of this is that you want the piping from the headlight to the throttle body as short and straight as possible without using any 90 degree bends. Ive seen a bunch of people do this same idea and its all cool looking but functions all the same.

Mine are staying original........that being said, I have a nice pr of Canadian black'd out sedan lights if anyone interested. Not going on mine.

Canadian sedan/MSP H4 singles like OP is playing with, not h7/9005 P5 ones...................

Is that a 3* hole saw? Can I borrow it tomorrow and can you drop it off pls. Thank you

Back