Chirping sound, when I touch the gas pedal

Absolutely this. Just replaced mine a few weeks ago and problem solved. Mine likewise chirped when I gassed it, but more often when I gassed it and then AC was also on.

I was thinking about turning off the AC, and try it out that way also.
I only have, 44k miles on my car.
Good call on the tensioner. How easy is to replace?

I was thinking about turning off the AC, and try it out that way also.
I only have, 44k miles on my car.
Good call on the tensioner. How easy is to replace?
Not sure. I paid a shop to do it as I wasn't comfortable messing around with that as a bit of a noobie.

I see on Rockauto, that they sell aftermarket ones. Anybody tried these? The factory one, doesn't look like, it lasts to long.
These tensioners are oil filled, they start leaking and they lose their tensioning ability? They don't have a spring in them?

These tensioners are oil filled, they start leaking and they lose their tensioning ability? They don't have a spring in them?

I guess. Mine was completely covered in leaked oil. I'll be keeping an eye on it from now on.

I have looked at the tensioner, and is completely covered, with oil and dust.
Ordered a new one and a serpentine belt. Mazdaswag had the cheapest, $124.80 shipped.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180826_185403.jpg
    20180826_185403.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 1,131
I have looked at the tensioner, and is completely covered, with oil and dust.
Ordered a new one and a serpentine belt. Mazdaswag had the cheapest, $124.80 shipped.
attachment.php
While youre there, might as well replace the water pump drive belt at the same time.

Why should I do that? I have only 44k miles on it. How often has to changed?
The same reason you're replacing the serpentine belt - since you're there. Belt's life is hard to predict and the water pump drive belt is not expensive anyway. Two new belts can give you another 50K ~ 100K worry-free miles.

The same reason you're replacing the serpentine belt - since you're there. Belt's life is hard to predict and the water pump drive belt is not expensive anyway. Two new belts can give you another 50K ~ 100K worry-free miles.

Water pump is probably good for at least another 60k miles, probably the same for the belt.

Water pump is probably good for at least another 60k miles, probably the same for the belt.
I didn't say to replace the water pump but the drive belt for the water pump. There're 2 belts for our SA-G 2.5L. The water pump belt is inside of the serpentine belt which drives alternator and AC compressor. Replaceing the water pump belt while the serpentine belt is off is the best time to do it for preventive maintenance.

1. Serpentine Belt - PY01-15-909A List Price: $36.40
2. Water Pump Belt - PY01-15-908 List Price: $17.65

0e45e53e71bd06b35def3f8f7004153a.png

The lifespan on rubber belt is hard to predict as I said. This one snapped at 50K miles:

Serpentine Belt snapped at 50k miles?!?

The serpentine belt, has seen some slippage and maybe it is glazed, or has some more worn areas, then in other areas, due to slippage. Maybe has seen some oil too, from the tensioner.
These days, a belt should last about 100k, no?
Another thing is, that I'm trying to do the job from above, and the water pump belt requires lifting the car, removing the bottom shields, etc.. To much work.

The serpentine belt, has seen some slippage and maybe it is glazed, or has some more worn areas, then in other areas, due to slippage. Maybe has seen some oil too, from the tensioner.
These days, a belt should last about 100k, no?
Another thing is, that I'm trying to do the job from above, and the water pump belt requires lifting the car, removing the bottom shields, etc.. To much work.
Water pump belt is driven by the same crankshaft pulley, I believe the difficulty of access is the same as serpentine belt. Once the serpentine belt is off, water pump belt is right there and should be very easy to be removed.

Last edited:
As I wrote in the other thread, by replacing the belt tensioner and the serpentine belt, the birds are gone. (yes)

As I wrote in the other thread, by replacing the belt tensioner and the serpentine belt, the birds are gone. (yes)
As I suspected at the beginning of this thread, loose belt by bad tensioner could be the culprit. ;)

While you're there, did you really think it's difficult to replace the inner water pump belt?

I don't like to replace stuff, just to be replaced. When the time comes, I will replace it.
In my opinion, at 45k I should not have to replace belts yet.
As I said, even the serpentine belt looked really good.

I don't like to replace stuff, just to be replaced. When the time comes, I will replace it.
In my opinion, at 45k I should not have to replace belts yet.
As I said, even the serpentine belt looked really good.
Yep, your serpentine belt should be still in good shape, but you replaced it anyway. I can see your point and I was having the same attitude when I was younger with more energy. Now I'd want to replace everything which has some suspicion of failure with possibly most reliable OEM parts just to avoid spending my time to do the same work again. :)

Back