Missing towing eyelet?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
So, in MB, I need to display a front plate. I don't want to drill into the front bumper, so I wanted to purchase a license plate mount that would be secured to the front tow point. Basically, instead of installing the towing eyelet as shown in the attached picture, I would simply install the license plate mount.

attachment.php

Capture.JPG

Unfortunately, my car didn't come with a towing eyelet in the tool bag, and I assume this is because I didn't purchase the OEM hitch accessory. Can anyone confirm this fact?

Also, anyone who has the eyelet, please PM me as I'd like to ask for your help in measuring a few things before I order the license plate mount.

The eyelet should be there. It is a recovery item, not an option for towing.

Is it in your tool bag (by the spare tire)? Because it isn't in mine. I also chatted with a Mazda Service Rep, who confirmed that the eyelet is not included on certain models, and that Mazda stopped including it on all vehicles sometime in 2014. There is a possibility that I overlooked it in the trunk, as I only looked in the bag that the manual references. The eyelet on the CX-5 has a cutout in the foam material surrounding the spare (see picture), so I wonder if it could be the same with the CX-9 (but the CX-9 manual suggests otherwise).

attachment.php

tiedownagff.JPG

I agree with you, the eyelet should be there regardless of what trim/package the car comes with as it is a recovery item unrelated to towing a load, but the rep had no answers for me. Apparently the part is available for purchase, but I don't know what the P/N is or how much it will cost.

Last edited:
The parts list shows two "tow hooks":
Front KD53-50-EJ1B
Rear KD53-50-EJ2B

I agree with PK, it is for getting your car pulled out of a ditch, not for towing a trailer.

I also chatted with a Mazda Service Rep, who confirmed that the eyelet is not included on certain models, and that Mazda stopped including it on all vehicles sometime in 2014.
This is the information I've been given as well, holds true for both Mazdas I currently have.

The parts list shows two "tow hooks":
Front KD53-50-EJ1B
Rear KD53-50-EJ2B

I agree with PK, it is for getting your car pulled out of a ditch, not for towing a trailer.

Thanks for the P/N PT, looks like the same tow hook is also used for the 2017 Mazda CX-5. This helps a lot!

Went to a dealership and picked up the eyelet on Friday. Cost me $30 CAD ($23 USD). Thanks for all the help everyone!

Back