Thread: Missing towing eyelet?

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Missing towing eyelet?

So, in MB, I need to display a front plate. I don't want to drill into the front bumper, so I wanted to purchase a license plate mount that would be secured to the front tow point. Basically, instead of installing the towing eyelet as shown in the attached picture, I would simply install the license plate mount.

Capture.JPG

Unfortunately, my car didn't come with a towing eyelet in the tool bag, and I assume this is because I didn't purchase the OEM hitch accessory. Can anyone confirm this fact?

Also, anyone who has the eyelet, please PM me as I'd like to ask for your help in measuring a few things before I order the license plate mount.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5

The eyelet should be there. It is a recovery item, not an option for towing.
    2018 CX-9 Grand Touring
    2010 Mazda5 Sport Manual
    2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
    2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3 PSD
    1991 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by pkthomas View Post
    The eyelet should be there. It is a recovery item, not an option for towing.
    Is it in your tool bag (by the spare tire)? Because it isn't in mine. I also chatted with a Mazda Service Rep, who confirmed that the eyelet is not included on certain models, and that Mazda stopped including it on all vehicles sometime in 2014. There is a possibility that I overlooked it in the trunk, as I only looked in the bag that the manual references. The eyelet on the CX-5 has a cutout in the foam material surrounding the spare (see picture), so I wonder if it could be the same with the CX-9 (but the CX-9 manual suggests otherwise).

tiedownagff.JPG

I agree with you, the eyelet should be there regardless of what trim/package the car comes with as it is a recovery item unrelated to towing a load, but the rep had no answers for me. Apparently the part is available for purchase, but I don't know what the P/N is or how much it will cost.
    Last edited by sm1ke; 08-21-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

The parts list shows two "tow hooks":
    Front KD53-50-EJ1B
    Rear KD53-50-EJ2B

I agree with PK, it is for getting your car pulled out of a ditch, not for towing a trailer.

2016 CX-5AWD GT+Tech/ 2018 CX-9AWD GT

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I also chatted with a Mazda Service Rep, who confirmed that the eyelet is not included on certain models, and that Mazda stopped including it on all vehicles sometime in 2014.
    This is the information I've been given as well, holds true for both Mazdas I currently have.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

You can make the eyebolt. The thread is M20-2.5. I'd use an eye nut plus a threaded stud of a suitable length.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#eyebolts/=1eab32n

Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    The parts list shows two "tow hooks":
    Front KD53-50-EJ1B
    Rear KD53-50-EJ2B

I agree with PK, it is for getting your car pulled out of a ditch, not for towing a trailer.
    Thanks for the P/N PT, looks like the same tow hook is also used for the 2017 Mazda CX-5. This helps a lot!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Went to a dealership and picked up the eyelet on Friday. Cost me $30 CAD ($23 USD). Thanks for all the help everyone!