Rear brake issues.

:
'02 Mazda Protege5
I noticed that the wear level on the rear pads on the RR wheel is greater than the pads on the LR wheel. I'm gonna take it apart this weekend and change the rotors and pads all around but I would like to get an idea of what to check to see why the brakes are wearing unevenly. I have an intermittent ABS code (code 13 only- circuit failure of RR wheel sensor) and I wonder if the two might somehow be related. I also ordered a new wheel sensor and will attempt to change that as well.

Could it be a bad caliper?

maybe it's possible that the parking brake cable adjuster is too tight on the right side and it's causing the brake to drag?

also, the wheel sensor bolt head appears to have broken off, but the sensor is still tightly attached. it will have to be drilled out. but what size replacement bolt would I need?

Without seeing it or driving it, I would go right to caliper dragging a bit or adjusted tighter and the sensor fail may be from extra heat. Can't remember sensor bolt sizes, sorry.

Could it be a bad caliper?

maybe it's possible that the parking brake cable adjuster is too tight on the right side and it's causing the brake to drag?

I had my rear brakes dragging because the P-brake cable was all rusted and seized.

Make sure the cable connection point on the caliper is rotating freely.

Watch the movement while someone pulls the P-brake.

I attached a reinforcing spring to release the brakes until I got new parking brake cables.

Back