What a difference the proper tools make..

:
02 protege5 ES 5dr
So in the past I have fought with the shift linkage pin. Pulling engine from donor car today I rattled off all the strut bracing and put a puller one it.

A little heat, a little deep creep ( penetrating oil ) and it slide right out. No cutting or other horsing around.

Just wow how easy it was...
80fdc062752f372a1626b792e70debf8.jpg

I've got the $15 Princess Auto version and it works pretty good for 90% of the jobs.
It's pretty sloppy and can fall off but it's still worth $15.

It works good on the rear brake disk and bearing.

But if the inner bearing race pulls apart and is stuck on the axle I will have to sharpen my puller arm to fit under the bearing race.

That's not actually my picture but my bearing pulled clean off the spindle and didn't leave the bearing race behind.
If it did then out comes the chisel to move the race.

Or get one of these to pop it loose.

I've got the $15 Princess Auto version and it works pretty good for 90% of the jobs.
It's pretty sloppy and can fall off but it's still worth $15.

That's the one ! I used the two fork one. But yeah got both at princess auto.

We actually have another China box store out west called Uncle Weiner's that's pretty good for some things ( seriously.. I can't make that up ).

Here is the link to prevent you from googling that and getting on some sort of watch list lol

http://unclewiener.com

Makes quick work of tie rod connectors, used with penetrating oil and heat they pop right out.

Have to appreciate that as de-gloved back portion of index finger on my brake shield doing it dry AF. Torqued to stupid amount and punched the dust shield when it released. 8 stiches later and I bought gloves. FML.
4fc700cfbd599689e3a99bca267c13fd.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not really working until I spring a leak and start bleeding.
I end up doing that every time I work on the car.

Last edited:
I threaded the nut on upsidedown and hammered on it.

What a dumbass.
Lol. Done it myself. And completely boned tierod end hehe. Figured there was a better way.

I use the kit shown for pulling pulleys. The claw type I use for everything else [emoji106]
91f4393c5770c68d125d63f86d90225f.jpg

I threaded the nut on upsidedown and hammered on it.

What a dumbass.

I have also made the mistake of pounding in a pickle fork between tierod end and control arm and again boned the boot on tierod end. Lol

I see and raise your dumbass with MEGA dumb ass lol

Oh and it IS possible to install AWR rear with out breaking that harness stud ! Who knew ??

Of course this is me pulling it out, the car it's going into I broke that stud replacing stock mount a couple of years ago.. but it is do-able. Heh.
179b5f9ff03c4971ebebdb2af81687df.jpg

Oh and it IS possible to install AWR rear with out breaking that harness stud ! Who knew ??

Of course this is me pulling it out, the car it's going into I broke that stud replacing stock mount a couple of years ago.. but it is do-able. Heh.
179b5f9ff03c4971ebebdb2af81687df.jpg

Other guys said they did it from the top with about two feet of extensions on a socket handle.
They said it was easy but I believe they had to break the stud off.

Other guys said they did it from the top with about two feet of extensions on a socket handle.
They said it was easy but I believe they had to break the stud off.
Yeah well I don't think I would even attempt to do it with out clearing engine bay. But I am sort of a pussy lol.

Do you mean removing the engine ??
Yes sir. I mean pulling engine. Lots of things can be achieved at the same time ( timing belt for one, think I will be using a stand next time, clutch/flywheel etc ).

Just don't make it the one mod you do lol. But to be honest if you need a new rear, you've been rocking your engine around in the bay and it might be a good idea to check your harness/hoses etc for damage ( when I first did my rear I had pulled that harness mount right off the firewall and pulled a vacuum hose off intake ).
28a6535e75646bdbad26f0d1c4430914.jpg

My engine is staying where it is.

For now...

Lol, well to be fair I didn't exactly plan to evacuate mine.

Figured I would make wine from sour grapes n' get it put back together better than it was previously.

Lol besides I am just practicing. For what ? Not sure but logging hours in her.

Back