Thread: Help removing paint from body trim

Registered Member

2009 CX-9 Grand Touring

Question Help removing paint from body trim

Long time lurker, first time poster. My wife recently took our '09 CX-9 out for a day at the lake with the kids. There was a lot of tan splatter marks on the tires, wheel well plastics, mud flaps, and trim at the bottom of the front and passenger doors. I assumed she had driven through some mud and she was planning on taking it to the car wash the next day. Well, the tan crap didn't come off and it turns out she drove though some tan paint that someone had spilled on the road. (gah) The car is white with black trim, and it now has a permanent off-road look to it (could be worse, I guess).

I've never had to deal with removing paint from my cars before. Have any of you dealt with this before and do you have any tips? I'm concerned about using something that will remove color from the trim as well and ending up with gray spots along the trim.

Lacquer thinner, terry cloth towels, blue ScotchBrite non scratch pads, spray bottle filled with dawn & water and HD Goof Off Remover. I just fixed what the owner thought was GA mud on his Blue Tacoma. Coverage area was the same as your plus it had chrome step bars. Any way don't use the lacquer thinner on plastic trim or rubber, just the paint. On the splash shields and mud flaps you can use the HD Goof Off and the dawn mix along with a scuff pad.

For the paint just pour some in to the towel and start wiping. It will take a few tries to get the paint off since its splatter, Open the doors and wipe off the bottom of the inside door and any paint in the jambs/rockers.

Saturate the splash shields with the HD Goof Off and let it dwell for a few minutes. See what comes off and repeat as needed and also add some of the dawn/water spray mix and scrub it with the scuff pad. Same procedure on the tires.

Lay on a towel when doing the sides at the bottom or sit on a comfortable pad. You are going to be at it for a while but depending on the coverage area its definitely a one day job, including a wash and wax or sealant if you had either on the paint beforehand.

The paint I removed was the same color. You can get everything you need at Walmart or Home Depot. Just throw away the towels afterwards.

Good luck

Registered Member

2009 CX-9 Grand Touring

Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTR View Post
    Lacquer thinner, terry cloth towels, blue ScotchBrite non scratch pads, spray bottle filled with dawn & water and HD Goof Off Remover. I just fixed what the owner thought was GA mud on his Blue Tacoma. Coverage area was the same as your plus it had chrome step bars. Any way don't use the lacquer thinner on plastic trim or rubber, just the paint. On the splash shields and mud flaps you can use the HD Goof Off and the dawn mix along with a scuff pad.

For the paint just pour some in to the towel and start wiping. It will take a few tries to get the paint off since its splatter, Open the doors and wipe off the bottom of the inside door and any paint in the jambs/rockers.

Saturate the splash shields with the HD Goof Off and let it dwell for a few minutes. See what comes off and repeat as needed and also add some of the dawn/water spray mix and scrub it with the scuff pad. Same procedure on the tires.

Lay on a towel when doing the sides at the bottom or sit on a comfortable pad. You are going to be at it for a while but depending on the coverage area its definitely a one day job, including a wash and wax or sealant if you had either on the paint beforehand.

The paint I removed was the same color. You can get everything you need at Walmart or Home Depot. Just throw away the towels afterwards.

Good luck
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Donated: $5

might just be able to get it off with a pressure washer