2016 roof rack: remove crossbars?

Dual

:
2016 CX-5 Grand Touring
First newbie post here, just bought my wife a 2016 Grand Touring. We negotiated a full OEM roof rack package but I really would like to remove the crossbars and only install them when needed (not often).

I understand that the rear trim piece for the rail(s) has to be removed so as to slide out the crossbars- I'm just not sure how to do it. There's a slot for a flathead screwdriver- do I snap UPWARDS to remove the trim piece, or is it a different mechanism? (Also wondering what those tiny green rubber bands are for.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
First newbie post here, just bought my wife a 2016 Grand Touring. We negotiated a full OEM roof rack package but I really would like to remove the crossbars and only install them when needed (not often).

I understand that the rear trim piece for the rail(s) has to be removed so as to slide out the crossbars- I'm just not sure how to do it. There's a slot for a flathead screwdriver- do I snap UPWARDS to remove the trim piece, or is it a different mechanism? (Also wondering what those tiny green rubber bands are for.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Try these installation instructions.

https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5crossbars.pdf?t=1534185727&

Back