Can't play DVDs

Hedge

:
Mazda CX-5 2.2 AWD
Hi there,

Anyone know why I can't play DVDs in my CX-5?
CDs play just fine, but DVDs just get ejected ad sometimes say "Disc error".
I've tried a few different DVDs of different regions but none of them work.

I have a 2018 CX-5 2.2 diesel AWD

Any ideas would be great.

Thank you.

Hi there,

Thank you.
I believe very few countries the CX-5 comes with a DVD player. If you don't see the "DVD" symbol on the player itself like this one, you don't have DVD player.

attachment.php

IMG_9824.PNG

Hi there,

Thank you.

If the DVD is "burnt", you need to make sure the format is correct including all the relevant specs of the DVD match what the unit can take.

I think that DVD is only for Japan. If there is no DVD symbol on the unit then you can't play DVD's.

The manual says it plays DVDs, but mine doesn't (uhm)

Mazda has so many regional variants (I don't know about other manufacturers).

I'm in the process of buying a CX-5 and I linked to an owner's manual on Mazda's website while researching break-in recommendations. During a test drive, I encountered an issue, and subsequent research lead to a <i>different</i> CX-5 owner's manual on Mazda's website that discussed the car's Automated Speed Limiter function (which I erroneously believed caused the behaviour I observed).

The ASL feature is not listed in the first manual I found...turns out that ASL is not a USA Market feature.

-Both manuals are titled CX-5 Owner's Manual.
-Both manuals are in English.
-Both manuals are on Mazda's website.
-There is nothing in the URLs that indicates country of applicability, other than one is on MAZDAUSA.com and the other is on MAZDA.com

I was taken to each manual via a web search, and did not think to verify beyond it being in English...I just started reading

It initiated an interesting conversation on my second test drive when I asked the salesman to disengage the ASL feature!

Last edited:
Mazda doesn't put DVD players in countries where watching tv or movies on the screen in view of driver is illegal (or mostly illegal..it varies in the USA state by state). It's illegal in the UK.

Mazda doesn't put DVD players in countries where watching tv or movies on the screen in view of driver is illegal (or mostly illegal..it varies in the USA state by state). It's illegal in the UK.

Gee, then what's the sense of having cruise control?

So you can sit in the back seat and look out the window whilst it drives by itself (wink)

When Cruise Control was first introduced, there were stories of drivers in vans (or RVs) setting it and then walking to the back to get a drink/attend to crying babies/etc.

I figure we may as well update it for modern technology.

Wait so if you have a DVD player you can literally put in a DVD movie and it plays on the infotainment screen??

Wait so if you have a DVD player you can literally put in a DVD movie and it plays on the infotainment screen??

In my GX you can play a DVD movie as long as the emergency brake is set... aftermarket options allow greater flexibility but with legal implications.

Yes, just like those DVD player found in the minivan and gen-1 CX-9 for rear seat passengers.

I'm afraid to look to see if 12vdc popcorn machines are available.

Back