2.5T CX-5 Update Coming To Australia In November 2018

Umm... they will be offering full version of turbo. Have done so on Mazda 6 already.

Mazda lost it's Zoom-Zoom image a long time ago and the company has no soul. It's sad to see how slow they are to react to market demand. It's as if their trying to fail. The CX-5 desperately needs more power and the public has been telling them this so years but they know what's good for us. This mentality has and will cost them more market share as they manage themselves into a corner of wimpy gutless uninspired engines. If they do eventually wake up and offer the Turbo, you can bet they will mess it up and only offer low output version. After all, they know what's good for us! This comment is coming from a current Cx 5 owner (our 2nd) and last Mazda. we like the platform but just cannot do the wimpy power anymore. Looks like we're going to an Escape Turbo or another compact SUV with at least a Turbo 2.0 or better.

Yes, and the car is having its best sales year EVER with an almost 25% increase in sales. The sales volume is so high that it can basically make up for the the poor sales of the Mazda cars. Yeah, what a disaster by Mazda.

Mazda lost it's Zoom-Zoom image a long time ago and the company has no soul. It's sad to see how slow they are to react to market demand. It's as if their trying to fail. The CX-5 desperately needs more power and the public has been telling them this so years but they know what's good for us. This mentality has and will cost them more market share as they manage themselves into a corner of wimpy gutless uninspired engines. If they do eventually wake up and offer the Turbo, you can bet they will mess it up and only offer low output version. After all, they know what's good for us! This comment is coming from a current Cx 5 owner (our 2nd) and last Mazda. we like the platform but just cannot do the wimpy power anymore. Looks like we're going to an Escape Turbo or another compact SUV with at least a Turbo 2.0 or better.

You realize its the worst kept secret that the Cx-5 is getting a turbo later this year, right?

Also, Mazda nailed its market with the CX-5. From what I understand, its quick at city driving (lower speeds) and loses its zoom at highway speeds. That obviously hit the mark to be their best selling car.

As for Mazda losing its soul, thats true for every brand thanks to strict emissions and fuel efficiency rules. The people on BMW and Mercedes forums gripe about the same thing. Car companies have been put in an impossible position and must make compromises or go under.

icecube-byefelicia-552ff9880d97d.gif

You realize it*s the worst kept secret that the Cx-5 is getting a turbo later this year, right?

Also, Mazda nailed it*s market with the CX-5. From what I understand, it*s quick at city driving (lower speeds) and loses its zoom at highway speeds. That obviously hit the mark to be their best selling car.

As for Mazda losing its soul, that*s true for every brand thanks to strict emissions and fuel efficiency rules. The people on BMW and Mercedes forums gripe about the same thing. Car companies have been put in an impossible position and must make compromises or go under.

RE: losing soul, I agree when we're talking about hp/tq numbers. But Mazda has made great strides in many other aspects that tie in to the driving experience (safety and handling come to mind). They are definitely behind when it comes to tech, and probably always will be, because it seems that they'd rather put more focus on driving vs. tech.

If you can't make a car fast, make it fun at slower speeds..

I am not a Mazda fanboi but Mazda has been very very astute in terms of how their research dollars are spent. Saying otherwise is stupid. Mazda has 1 dealership for every 5 Toyota dealerships - accessibility is an issue upfront. Plus more power wont do didly squat if sales dont come - see Sonata Turbo.
Finally - I dont know why - you are exactly the kind of "enthusiast" that lacks understanding of auto world- car makers keep evolving all the time. A lot of old Acura / Subaru buyers wont touch their cars anymore - but there are 100s of dog owners who will because you cannot see a Subaru ad without a dog in it. And for some reason - I am willing to bet you drive a 5 year old CVT equipped Civic and thats where you enthusiast badge ends.

I am not a Mazda fanboi but Mazda has been very very astute in terms of how their research dollars are spent. Saying otherwise is stupid. Mazda has 1 dealership for every 5 Toyota dealerships - accessibility is an issue upfront. Plus more power wont do didly squat if sales dont come - see Sonata Turbo.
Finally - I dont know why - you are exactly the kind of "enthusiast" that lacks understanding of auto world- car makers keep evolving all the time. A lot of old Acura / Subaru buyers wont touch their cars anymore - but there are 100s of dog owners who will because you cannot see a Subaru ad without a dog in it. And for some reason - I am willing to bet you drive a 5 year old CVT equipped Civic and thats where you enthusiast badge ends.

He is proposing to buy a Ford Escape Turbo. What more do you want to know?

It was only 2012 when Mazda brought out the CX-5 diesel already euro6 with an engine that blow the opposition away, it had more torque than the 4 pot BMW or volvo etc.
Even today most 4 pot don't give more than 400nm against 420nm for the mazda which is soon to be 184ps with 445nm in the UK.

So engine wise its still competitive IMO.

However the Mazda hasn't developed enough for me in other areas for yet another to be bought, I believe the diesel would benefit from an extra gear, a greatly improved screen to a minimum of 8" with enhanced resolution with AA.

Although Mazda say AA is coming and I'm sure it will delays have prompted me to try a VW, my first, in fact I have only had one VAG group car before an Audi.

One thing that has really turned me away from the CX-5 for 2019 is the kerbweight of 1820kg for my model, I expect the Tiguan I've ordered to be under that and it has 190ps so a little quicker.

Mazda needed to bring more power out quicker to offset the constant increases in weight, I'm afraid the push to go premium has stunted performance and economy for me.
And I really dislike the 35.5K list price, the stuck on screen on top of the dash, and the new looks of the updated model.

I think my 2015 car is better in most areas.

Another thing I like with the Tiguan is the hidden towbar option which I have gone for, its a shame the Tig doesn't have the Mazda diesel as I think I will miss it....

I like the MZD Connect screen where it is currently

I also like it where it is currently. Don't have to take my eyes off the road to see the display, color doesn't get washed out in the sun, and it's easy to navigate the menus with the Commander knob when you don't have to look down at the display.

It would have been nice to be able to fold down the display, either manually or automatically during engine start up and shut off.

I also like it where it is currently. Don't have to take my eyes off the road to see the display, color doesn't get washed out in the sun, and it's easy to navigate the menus with the Commander knob when you don't have to look down at the display.

(iagree) (thumb)

Yes, and the car is having its best sales year EVER with an almost 25% increase in sales. The sales volume is so high that it can basically make up for the the poor sales of the Mazda cars. Yeah, what a disaster by Mazda.

I love it. Just waiting for the personal attacks next. My post was borne out of frustration over loving the vehicle except wanting more power. As for market share, I'm quite aware the 5 is the only car really propping up the brand. Also please post your source for 25% sales increase.

icecube-byefelicia-552ff9880d97d.gif

RE: losing soul, I agree when we're talking about hp/tq numbers. But Mazda has made great strides in many other aspects that tie in to the driving experience (safety and handling come to mind). They are definitely behind when it comes to tech, and probably always will be, because it seems that they'd rather put more focus on driving vs. tech.

If you can't make a car fast, make it fun at slower speeds..

Agree for the most part. I remember Mazda used to be badass rep in power and sportiness. It's a great car, I just want more torque and power.

Here come the personal attacks. There's always one in every group. This guy can't comprehend a differing opinion without resorting to playskool tactics. BTW I have owned multiple blown Mustangs, SVT Cobra, WRX STI, Saleen prototype, Roush Mustangs and more. Our cars have also been on the cover of MM&FF and featured in Hot Rod. I do not however own a Honda.

Last edited:
I love it. Just waiting for the personal attacks next. My post was borne out of frustration over loving the vehicle except wanting more power. As for market share, I'm quite aware the 5 is the only car really propping up the brand. Also please post your source for 25% sales increase.

Mazda sold 112,235 CX-5's in 2016, 127,563 in 2017 and are on track to sell 159,805 in 2018.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mazda-cx-5-sales-figures/

They should keep doing whatever they are doing to the CX-5.

You said this: "Mazda lost it's Zoom-Zoom image a long time ago and the company has no soul. It's sad to see how slow they are to react to market demand. It's as if their trying to fail. The CX-5 desperately needs more power and the public has been telling them this so years but they know what's good for us. "

My point is that Mazda is selling more CX-5's than ever yet YOU say it needs this and that. Have you driven the 2018 CX-5 or the new Miata? Heck, any of there cars. They still handle great and I would argue they very much have a unique feeling (would not go Soul). Mazda most likely has done their market research and found what people want in the CX-5. And I bet they wanted a quiet and nicer interior. They got that. They probably wanted a more refined feel and they got that.

Last edited:
Mazda sold 112,235 CX-5's in 2016, 127,563 in 2017 and are on track to sell 159,805 in 2018.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mazda-cx-5-sales-figures/

They should keep doing whatever they are doing to the CX-5.

You said this: "Mazda lost it's Zoom-Zoom image a long time ago and the company has no soul. It's sad to see how slow they are to react to market demand. It's as if their trying to fail. The CX-5 desperately needs more power and the public has been telling them this so years but they know what's good for us. "

My point is that Mazda is selling more CX-5's than ever yet YOU say it needs this and that. Have you driven the 2018 CX-5 or the new Miata? Heck, any of there cars. They still handle great and I would argue they very much have a unique feeling (would not go Soul). Mazda most likely has done their market research and found what people want in the CX-5. And I bet they wanted a quiet and nicer interior. They got that. They probably wanted a more refined feel and they got that.

Hard to argue they are selling well I'll concede that! I perhaps should have been more clear; there IS a market for more power in this platform. Perhaps not all or even close to 1/2 would want one (or want to pay for it), but I would consider buying one. As for if I have driven a 2018, no I have not, but I do own a 2017 CX-5 GT and had a 2015 before that. I admit, I am that guy who wants more torque and HP. Clearly not everyone does.

Hard to argue they are selling well I'll concede that! I perhaps should have been more clear; there IS a market for more power in this platform. Perhaps not all or even close to 1/2 would want one (or want to pay for it), but I would consider buying one. As for if I have driven a 2018, no I have not, but I do own a 2017 CX-5 GT and had a 2015 before that. I admit, I am that guy who wants more torque and HP. Clearly not everyone does.

As much as I hate to say it, no, there isn't much demand.

The RAV4 V6...dead.
The Subaru Forester 2.0XT...dead.

Those two vehicles flawlessly filled the niche that a 2.5T CX5 would fill, and they are dead and gone. They wouldn't be, if that was in enough demand to matter.

Am I saying it wouldn't be awesome? No. It would be. However, most people are going up-scale when they want power. Mercedes, BMW, etc.

As much as I hate to say it, no, there isn't much demand.

The RAV4 V6...dead.
The Subaru Forester 2.0XT...dead.

Those two vehicles flawlessly filled the niche that a 2.5T CX5 would fill, and they are dead and gone. They wouldn't be, if that was in enough demand to matter.

Am I saying it wouldn't be awesome? No. It would be. However, most people are going up-scale when they want power. Mercedes, BMW, etc.

I agree or at least what you have posted seems to apply as I have been watching YouTube reviews for the Porsche Macan and similar. Though I can afford to jump up to that class I am not sure I will when the time comes and I know 100% my wife would not agree. I just don't see any other smaller CUVs that satisfy my desire between the CX-5 class and the Porsche Macan class and the Macan spec'd like I would want would be the Turbo w/ Performance Package. That model starts near $90K.

For a just a touch more HP and torque in the CX-5 class would get my attention, but I realize that I don't fit the mass buyer CUV demographics. A very impatient 55 YO with no kids. Even when I buy power tools I tend to go with the more powerful tools. I get extremely frustrated with things that do not perform well and yet there are many that will gladly pay $20 for a B&D drill that will barely drill through a piece of 1/4" plywood.

I agree or at least what you have posted seems to apply as I have been watching YouTube reviews for the Porsche Macan and similar. Though I can afford to jump up to that class I am not sure I will when the time comes and I know 100% my wife would not agree. I just don't see any other smaller CUVs that satisfy my desire between the CX-5 class and the Porsche Macan class and the Macan spec'd like I would want would be the Turbo w/ Performance Package. That model starts near $90K.

For a just a touch more HP and torque in the CX-5 class would get my attention, but I realize that I don't fit the mass buyer CUV demographics. A very impatient 55 YO with no kids. Even when I buy power tools I tend to go with the more powerful tools. I get extremely frustrated with things that do not perform well and yet there are many that will gladly pay $20 for a B&D drill that will barely drill through a piece of 1/4" plywood.
There is. It's called Volvo XC40. Even the base model under 35k has 187 ponies in a small package with Volvo seats. 55 yo will love it.

Latest posts

Back