2.5T CX-5 Update Coming To Australia In November 2018

There is. It's called Volvo XC40. Even the base model under 35k has 187 ponies in a small package with Volvo seats. 55 yo will love it.

It looks like a Kia Soul on steroids (body wise anyways). Ugh, No...

It also may be a small package, but it weights the same as a CX-5. Steroid much?

Last edited:
Hard to argue they are selling well I'll concede that! I perhaps should have been more clear; there IS a market for more power in this platform. Perhaps not all or even close to 1/2 would want one (or want to pay for it), but I would consider buying one. As for if I have driven a 2018, no I have not, but I do own a 2017 CX-5 GT and had a 2015 before that. I admit, I am that guy who wants more torque and HP. Clearly not everyone does.

No, I don't think you are alone. Heck, I was all on board for the CX-5 diesel because of the 310 lb/ft of torque and 40 MPG! I will also be the first to buy the CX-5 2.5T if it ever shows up. You are not alone. But I think we are in the minority. As people have pointed out, the "Performance" version of cars like the RAV4 and forester actually never sold well. Heck, even for the CR-V, almost 30% of all the sales of that car are the base LX version - the car without the 1.5T, which I personally think is a great engine.

I agree or at least what you have posted seems to apply as I have been watching YouTube reviews for the Porsche Macan and similar. Though I can afford to jump up to that class I am not sure I will when the time comes and I know 100% my wife would not agree. I just don't see any other smaller CUVs that satisfy my desire between the CX-5 class and the Porsche Macan class and the Macan spec'd like I would want would be the Turbo w/ Performance Package. That model starts near $90K.

For a just a touch more HP and torque in the CX-5 class would get my attention, but I realize that I don't fit the mass buyer CUV demographics. A very impatient 55 YO with no kids. Even when I buy power tools I tend to go with the more powerful tools. I get extremely frustrated with things that do not perform well and yet there are many that will gladly pay $20 for a B&D drill that will barely drill through a piece of 1/4" plywood.

AMG offers something in the mid point, and if you buy CPO, it's mid 40's. 0-60 in well under 5 seconds, blahblahblah.

No, I don't think you are alone. Heck, I was all on board for the CX-5 diesel because of the 310 lb/ft of torque and 40 MPG! I will also be the first to buy the CX-5 2.5T if it ever shows up. You are not alone. But I think we are in the minority. As people have pointed out, the "Performance" version of cars like the RAV4 and forester actually never sold well. Heck, even for the CR-V, almost 30% of all the sales of that car are the base LX version - the car without the 1.5T, which I personally think is a great engine.

The Forester is a hippie car. The Performance version didn't sell well because hippies don't care about less fuel mileage coupled with more power. They want to get to Point A to B by killing less trees. (cheers2)

The Rav4. Those folks go ahead and get a more basic model and bigger with same power basically in a 4Runner. Tons of those things running around...

I too would be first in line for a 2.5T, just not anymore, not in this new body style, but you can still count my vote as a model that is needed/wanted...

Honda 4 cylinder engines are the best made, sans the 1.5T platforms. Throw the old Yota SR22 in the mix as well...

If any body wants proof of how well 2.5T will sell look at Mazda6 numbers. It outsold Camry / Accord for first time. CX5 with 2.5T might sell half a million and compete with F150.

It looks like a Kia Soul on steroids (body wise anyways). Ugh, No...

It also may be a small package, but it weights the same as a CX-5. Steroid much?

Its on Steroids literally as Drive E does 6.2 secs to 60. It has great amount of space almost like a CX5 except cargo. Info system is really good. Very quirky as well. If you dont need the size of a CX5 this one is great option. I cant imagine all in lease at 800 dollars for an XC40. seems expensive.

AMG offers something in the mid point, and if you buy CPO, it's mid 40's. 0-60 in well under 5 seconds, blahblahblah.

Absolutely :)

2019 AMG GLA 45 at $53K
0-60 4.3 seconds
torque 350 lb-ft
HP 375

But as it goes with your other post some of us start separating into a different class altogether based on desire. I am getting to the point where I really do not need as much and do not haul as much. With the house paid off/debt free and at a point where we have very few home projects that we can do I don't need as much cargo. On a cycling forum several mentioned putting bikes in a Golf R with the seats flipped down. I don't have kids and rarely have passengers so I always keep the seats down in the CX-5 for bike gear and have excess cargo area.

If any body wants proof of how well 2.5T will sell look at Mazda6 numbers. It outsold Camry / Accord for first time. CX5 with 2.5T might sell half a million and compete with F150.

Where did you buy your crack?

Can you post a link please (uhm)

If the 2.5T comes to the CX-5 here, I would believe that it might push the CX-5 into the top 3 of all vehicles sold here.

Its on Steroids literally as Drive E does 6.2 secs to 60. It has great amount of space almost like a CX5 except cargo. Info system is really good. Very quirky as well. If you dont need the size of a CX5 this one is great option. I cant imagine all in lease at 800 dollars for an XC40. seems expensive.

Way to go from $35k base model to $45k real quick. Totally new line up to look at completely in that price range.

Thing still looks like a refined Kia Soul as stated, and I actually like Volvo*s a lot. Put some work in already at the new facility here in SC, and it*s amazing...

Was reading online and seems the 2.5T has been listed on a Australian government database (extract below) which means it's coming:

2u8utuf.jpg

Back