2.5T CX-5 Update Coming To Australia In November 2018

:
'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver
A member of the Australian CX-5 forum on Facebook posted the following:

"From the Mazda sales manager in response to my questions confirming an October update incl the 2.5 turbo

It will be a certain update model which arrive in Australia in November as discussed. I haven't had those updates confirmed but it is possible that it could have those options you have mentioned. Generally they will give us a full specifications update the month before they arrive. You will be able to get it in a turbo 2.5 litre turbo. Unsure on price difference at this stage but we are expecting it will cost more."

So it appears Oz land will be getting another update sooner rather than later

The poster is going for current KG model 2.2 Diesel

Really have no interest in the 2.5T as I know the extra power and torque is not really worth the worse fuel economy it will have. Case in point 2.5T Mazda 6 has worse fuel economy that 2.5 NA Mazda 6 & 2.2D Mazda 6.

For context, current Sydney fuel prices:

94RON (E10 ethanol unleaded) = 144.2 cents per litre
91RON (regular unleaded) = 147.9 cents per litre
95RON (premium unleaded) = 160.4 cents per litre
98RON (premium unleaded) = 167.0 cents per litre

Last edited:
For those who want the 2.5T, power to you and as always each to their own :)

I remember when sales managers said Android Auto would be in the US Mazda CX5's in just a few months. It's certainly just around the corner, then!

Well, while I am still skeptical, that will be a car that I would want to buy!

My sales man said that Mazda will put the turbo / ventilated seats and AA Carplay in my 16 CX5 alongwith giving me a 4500 dollar discount for my inconvenience and AC vents in the rear in charming pink gloss (my fav color besides tortilla green)

⋯ Really have no interest in the 2.5T as I know the extra power and torque is not really worth the worse fuel economy it will have. Case in point 2.5T Mazda 6 has worse fuel economy that 2.5 NA Mazda 6 & 2.2D Mazda 6.
I agree with you. This SkyActiv-G 2.5T would use more gas (less efficient) even when turbo is not spinning due to its lower compression ratio comparing to non-turbo SA-G 2.5L (10.5:1 vs. 13:1). To achieve fuel efficiency on a 4-cylinder most gas turbo engines are based on small-displacement engines: 2.0L、1.8L、or 1.5L. 2.5L turbo is simply too big for a compact CUV. And most compact CUV buyers would prefer more fuel efficiency than more power for practicality reason.

CX-5 is no longer the most fuel efficient compact CUV like it just came out a few years ago. Adding turbo for more power (40 hp) but less fuel economy (3~4 EPA mpg) would only attract very few buyers. If I really want a high-power fast vehicle, I would get a sport car, not a compact CUV!

Theres no free lunch. You want more power, you feed more gas. Even the turbo is the same. Except you increase engines thermal efficiency which can increase both engine power and fuel efficiency such as Toyotas new Dynamic Force 2.5L.

Aistralian could get SA-G 2.5T soon because Mazda is going to offer it in Japan for 2019 MY, and easily to ship it to Australia because both countries are left-hand-traffic.

Not saying they won*t, hell, I*ll even say they will, but listening to a sales manager is like listening to a BS scam artist, it*s not worth your time...

Teach me your ways, oh time traveler.

AOfe40o.png

Found out some more information. Apparently this person also contacted Mazda Australia who pretty much confirmed the details.

I do find it odd though as before the KG update was announced, I had known about the pending update from January (bulletin was sent to dealers mentioning the specifics) yet when I contacted Mazda Australia, they refused to disclose any details.

(hmm)

I agree with you. This SkyActiv-G 2.5T would use more gas (less efficient) even when turbo is not spinning due to its lower compression ratio comparing to non-turbo SA-G 2.5L (10.5:1 vs. 13:1). To achieve fuel efficiency on a 4-cylinder most gas turbo engines are based on small-displacement engines: 2.0L*1.8L*or 1.5L. 2.5L turbo is simply too big for a compact CUV. And most compact CUV buyers would prefer more fuel efficiency than more power for practicality reason.

CX-5 is no longer the most fuel efficient compact CUV like it just came out a few years ago. Adding turbo for more power (40 hp) but less fuel economy (3~4 EPA mpg) would only attract very few buyers. If I really want a high-power fast vehicle, I would get a sport car, not a compact CUV!

There*s no free lunch. You want more power, you feed more gas. Even the turbo is the same. Except you increase engine*s thermal efficiency which can increase both engine power and fuel efficiency such as Toyota*s new Dynamic Force 2.5L.

(iagree) with your comments except on the Toyota engine.

We are currently only getting the 2.0L version in the new Corolla and reviewers say there is improvement over previous 1.8 NA but not that much.

So don't know about 2.5L version.

Mazda Australia is not commenting but looks like the details have been leaked pretty much confirming what I mentioned above.

The site below "has sighted internal Mazda documents detailing new CX-5 turbo variants for Australia, in addition to updates that will include broader safety technology across the range, with production commencing later this year"

EXCLUSIVE: BEST-IN-CLASS TURBO ENGINE LIKELY IN 2019 MAZDA CX-5 UPGRADES!

Key Points:

• 170kW/420Nm 2.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine from the large CX-9 SUV used in the CX-5 - will be optional on the GT and Akera - the two premium CX-5 grades
  • 2019 CX-5 will also introduce minor exterior changes, as well as "major" interior design changes Substantial upgrade to the CX-5's infotainment, which would see Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone mirroring technologies added to the existing capabilities of the CX-5's seven-inch touchscreen, which include navigation and DAB+ digital radio
  • CX-5 could gain a significant extension of safety technology across the range, including radar cruise control, lane keep assist, driver attention warning and automatic high beam across the range. Presently, these driver aids are exclusive features of the flagship Akera
  • The Akera will likely retain its premium positioning through interior upgrades, which are suggested to principally take the form of more upmarket Nappa leather upholstery in a dark hue. The front seats, already heated in the 2018 Akera, will likely pick up ventilation, while the second row should feature heating for the outboard seats
  • A digital driver's instrument cluster, like that seen on the 2018 Mazda 6 Atenza, should also be present on the CX-5 Akera

On fuel efficiency or lack there of I would be in the same boat.

If you concern is fuel efficiency why buy a cx5 petrol, makes no sense. Diesel for MPG and for performance 2.5T makes plenty of sense to me for towing duty, it will be a mega towcar.

Last edited:
If you concern is fuel efficiency why buy a cx5 petrol, makes no sense. Diesel for MPG and for performance 2.5T makes plenty of sense to me for towing duty, it will be a mega towcar.

Don't do enough km to get diesel.
Too much fuel use in the city for 2.5T.
2.5 NA is just right for me.

Mazda Australia is not commenting but looks like the details have been leaked pretty much confirming what I mentioned above.

The site below "has sighted internal Mazda documents detailing new CX-5 turbo variants for Australia, in addition to updates that will include broader safety technology across the range, with production commencing later this year"

EXCLUSIVE: BEST-IN-CLASS TURBO ENGINE LIKELY IN 2019 MAZDA CX-5 UPGRADES!

Key Points:

• 170kW/420Nm 2.5-litre turbocharged petrol engine from the large CX-9 SUV used in the CX-5 - will be optional on the GT and Akera - the two premium CX-5 grades
  • 2019 CX-5 will also introduce minor exterior changes, as well as "major" interior design changes Substantial upgrade to the CX-5's infotainment, which would see Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone mirroring technologies added to the existing capabilities of the CX-5's seven-inch touchscreen, which include navigation and DAB+ digital radio
  • CX-5 could gain a significant extension of safety technology across the range, including radar cruise control, lane keep assist, driver attention warning and automatic high beam across the range. Presently, these driver aids are exclusive features of the flagship Akera
  • The Akera will likely retain its premium positioning through interior upgrades, which are suggested to principally take the form of more upmarket Nappa leather upholstery in a dark hue. The front seats, already heated in the 2018 Akera, will likely pick up ventilation, while the second row should feature heating for the outboard seats
  • A digital driver's instrument cluster, like that seen on the 2018 Mazda 6 Atenza, should also be present on the CX-5 Akera

How reliable is that site? People speculate things all the time.

Back