2007-2015 CX-9 what is 1 thing you don't like about your CX-9 the most

At least change the coolant just to check that off

Right. The coolant change is a given. But, if the water pump fails, doesn't that already mean the engine is also toast? If the water pump fails and is still replaceable without any harm to the engine, then it doesn't seem too bad. But if the failure causes coolant to leak into the cylinders, doesn't that mean the vehicle needs the engine replaced, as well?

There is always a risk of having coolant getting into the engine and also overheat which would be the major issue. So it is owner's risk. But if you think like this then there is a whole bucket list of parts to be changed if you follow the book. It is up to you whether you are willing to take a risk. Usually I would just keep an eye on temperature and do the coolant flush
Right. The coolant change is a given. But, if the water pump fails, doesn't that already mean the engine is also toast? If the water pump fails and is still replaceable without any harm to the engine, then it doesn't seem too bad. But if the failure causes coolant to leak into the cylinders, doesn't that mean the vehicle needs the engine replaced, as well?

And to answer your question on the engibe replacement again it depends what exactly happened and how severe it is. I habe seen engines seized and ruined on other cars due to water pump failure. But I have seen other cars juat overheating a bit, puking coolant out (like mine e38 bmw and w124 mercedes did) and keep going after pump change.

Back