2018 Touring Trim Level Owners: Beige vs Black Interior

derklink

:
CX-5
Hi all,

My wife wants beige with the suede inserts (buying, no lease). Is it a nightmare to live with (especially with a dog, but would put cover down anyway) or will they hold up over time?

Thanks for letting me know!

I did the black leatherette in my '18 Touring. I'm not a fan of the "ageing process" of light colored interiors. While I make my best effort to keep the interior clean, invariably the edges and frequently-sat or slid-upon places get worn or stained into a different color. Black may shade to gray, but I don't think it looks "dirty".
Of course interior color, etc. is a personal choice and I would recommend agreeing with your wife...whatever she picks.

Having owned a beige CX5 and driven a loaner black CX5 - the black one looks dark / depressing to look at. The Beige works well with the contrast around the cabin and actually looks and feels more expensive. I will choose a Beige interior even if i have to compromise on the exterior color of the car. Sit in both interiors and you will feel the difference. My 16 CX5 with cloth in touring trim has held up very well to abuse / food thrown etc. I have used generic turtle brand cleaner to get stains out and its been no problem.

Black is my choice. I have never felt that beige and brown interiors in cars age particularly well, and I'm overall not a fan of those colors personally. Where's the wood trim to go with it? (cryhard)

Agreed, personal choice. That's just my opinion.

I'm looking at a Grand Touring, so my choices are white or black.

There are points to be made for & against each.

I watch vids/read articles on cleaning the light colored interiors, and there are stories of blue jean-stained seats (you can see the blue hue) along with admonitions to stay on top of them so the stain does not set. Then others here say they have had white interiors and have not had any issue.

For that reason (and other aesthetics with the Mazda white interior), I like black. But as some have said, the black is depressingly dark when you enter the vehicle. You go from a sunny day into a cave...I've noticed it. I test drove a CX-5 with black interior a couple of times, and when you're driving you don't notice it because you're looking out the windshield. Passenger experience of the interior may be different.

The dog-impact on the interior color decision would be driven by the color of its fur. There are lots of doggy seat cover options out there for the dirt & skin oils.

All that being said, when I feed all the variables it into my computer, and include your marital status, the output says:

Get what <i>she</i> wants ;)

My wife and I had the same debate when we bought our 2018 grand touring--she wanted beige and I preferred the black. Because we felt that the black interior would age better than the beigh, we went with the black. The black leather is a light black and actually looks more like a dark gray. Its a nice interior color.

Last 2 vehicles I've owned have come with black leather. No option to choose any other colour.

This time I actually had the choice and again went with black. Hides grime/dirt/dust etc along with most stains much better than a lighter colour.

Mine is black. I really wanted the light colour inside, but I saw lots of photos of it cracking, staining etc. Reluctantly chose black, but Im glad I did. I saw inside a CX5 on the street with beige interior and it really looked aged.

I went with the black seats on my '18 GT. I never even considered the parchment color because I had a tan leather interior on an Accord a few years back that got heavily stained by my denim pants.

Update: My wife decided on her own that, though she likes the look of beige better, she will go with black because it will hold up better.

I am currently wrestling with the black versus parchment dilemma myself. Living somewhere where it breaks triple digits with some regularity in the summer, a black leather interior seems like a really bad idea

The light color interior seems light and airy and cool compared to closed in and dreary black, here in Florida. Ed

I am currently wrestling with the black versus parchment dilemma myself. Living somewhere where it breaks triple digits with some regularity in the summer, a black leather interior seems like a really bad idea*

Just cover your front seats with a towel and problem solved!

A black leather interior is like entering a hot cave, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Black interiors are easier to maintain since you don't really have to worry about stains, and if the leather is cracked, black hides it better. Black is also very, very common in most cars.

Lighter interiors feel more "open", and will be slightly cooler in the sun. They are harder to maintain due to the risk of staining and cracking over time. Lighter interiors also appear more upscale because they aren't as common as black leather.

Whatever you have, clean, condition, and protect the leather to keep it in the best shape possible.

Last edited:
I just came from a 2014 Ram 1500 R/T with all black interior. One of the main reasons for the CX-5 was the Parchment interior. Light, airy, fresh is the way i see it.
The black was boring and HOT!

I love the look of lighter interiors, but having had them, the leather does show dirt a lot more. Most can be cleaned, but over 100k miles the lighter color will look more worn then the darker.

We don't eat in our cars, just normal wear and tear from what we have seen.

I have black, but I would have opted for beige if available, even knowing what i know.

Enjoying my parchment interior. It will require more maintenance than black but well worth it for looks, atmosphere and thermal comfort.

Not sure how much hotter black actually gets but they feel hotter than heck.Owned a black interior years ago and decided never to do that again.

Glad Mazda sticks with black for seatbelt, carpet, etc.

Back