Decision...2018 CX-5 vs Tiguan

derklink

:
CX-5
Hi all,
Im new here and looking for a little advice. My wife needs a new car and wants a mid-size crossover. Were planning on having a kid in the next 1 or 2 years. She also likes sitting up higher and the extra space vs a sedan. We also have a smaller dog that really enjoys car rides.

We have narrowed it down to the 2018 CX-5 Touring with the Preferred Equipment Package vs the 2018 Tiguan SEL. The Mazda would come in at about 26.5k and the VW at about 28.5k. We test drove both several times but its a head to head.

Mazda arguments: better design, better interior quality, more comfortable seats, quieter ride, simpler and proven engine (no turbo), better engine & transmission combo (test drive with Tiguan revealed some turbo lag and a lot of shifting of the 8speed auto), overall more reliable (?), less expensive.

Tiguan arguments: more space, bigger moon roof, nicer entertainment system w/AA and ACP, torquier engine, better warranty, full pleather seats (suede seat inserts on Mazda probably harder to clean with dog hair/kid), newer model (2019 Mazda w/changes coming soon, though 2.5T engine not a must have for us maybe will be reserved for the new signature trim, anyway?).

I know this is a Mazda forum and you can guess why Im posting here (leaning towards the Mazda ;-))

I had a conversation with a Mazda sales guy. He basically said that VW makes quite some money on repairs and that they price their cars higher just so they can provide bigger "discounts". Also said that out of warranty repairs are more expensive than Mazda. I have family over in Germany and quite a few driving VWs. They all sooner or later had issues with their cars.

Thank you for your comments!

Hi all,
I*m new here and looking for a little advice. My wife needs a new car and wants a mid-size crossover. We*re planning on having a kid in the next 1 or 2 years. She also likes sitting up higher and the extra space vs a sedan. We also have a smaller dog that really enjoys car rides.

We have narrowed it down to the 2018 CX-5 Touring with the Preferred Equipment Package vs the 2018 Tiguan SEL. The Mazda would come in at about 26.5k and the VW at about 28.5k. We test drove both several times but it*s a head to head.

Mazda arguments: better design, better interior quality, more comfortable seats, quieter ride, simpler and proven engine (no turbo), better engine & transmission combo (test drive with Tiguan revealed some turbo lag and a lot of shifting of the 8speed auto), overall more reliable (?), less expensive.

Tiguan arguments: more space, bigger moon roof, nicer entertainment system w/AA and ACP, torquier engine, better warranty, full *pleather* seats (suede seat inserts on Mazda probably harder to clean with dog hair/kid), newer model (2019 Mazda w/changes coming soon, though 2.5T engine not a must have for us * maybe will be reserved for the new signature trim, anyway?).

I know this is a Mazda forum and you can guess why I*m posting here (leaning towards the Mazda ;-))

I had a conversation with a Mazda sales guy. He basically said that VW makes quite some money on repairs and that they price their cars higher just so they can provide bigger "discounts". Also said that out of warranty repairs are more expensive than Mazda. I have family over in Germany and quite a few driving VWs. They all sooner or later had issues with their cars.

Recently went through as similar quandary with the Mazda 3 Sport and a VW Golf Sportwagen.

Mazda's more reliable, cheaper to buy and maintain, nicer interior and drivetrain (as you mention)...and in my case the 3 came in at ~$7000 less (after taxes) after some discounts, rebates etc...so a bit of a no brainer for me.

The VW had more space, more bells and whistles (though at extra cost to get comparatively equipped things like BSM and LED headlights).

Sure would have like the extra space and AWD of the GSW though.

Hi all,
I*m new here and looking for a little advice. My wife needs a new car and wants a mid-size crossover. We*re planning on having a kid in the next 1 or 2 years. She also likes sitting up higher and the extra space vs a sedan. We also have a smaller dog that really enjoys car rides.

We have narrowed it down to the 2018 CX-5 Touring with the Preferred Equipment Package vs the 2018 Tiguan SEL. The Mazda would come in at about 26.5k and the VW at about 28.5k. We test drove both several times but it*s a head to head.

Tiguan arguments: more space, bigger moon roof, nicer entertainment system w/AA and ACP, torquier engine, better warranty, full *pleather* seats (suede seat inserts on Mazda probably harder to clean with dog hair/kid), newer model (2019 Mazda w/changes coming soon, though 2.5T engine not a must have for us * maybe will be reserved for the new signature trim, anyway?).

I know this is a Mazda forum and you can guess why I*m posting here (leaning towards the Mazda ;-))

Can't speak to the seats as my 2014 Touring has cloth seats which have held up very well and clean easily.

I am at 70.5k miles on mine now. It's been cheap to maintain for sure which is a huge plus, and drives like the day I bought it (4/20/2013). The driving dynamics are great for a CUV, and I feel engaged to the road when driving it. Very happy to have gone with the Mazda.

Its an insult over here that you are comparing a new engine / with electronics VW to a CX-5. I am not going to deride you for that because hearts are children that need to be controlled by our brains.
Ask yourself and wife - what do you prefer riding - an Elephant or a Horse. There is your answer.

Depends if you are buying or leasing. If I were leasing it would be a toss up. I haven't driven a new VW in a while but my previous ones all drove very nicely. I chose the CX-5 as I tend to buy a car and hope to keep it for a while. 5-10 years. If you're in that camp, go for a Japanese reliability over german engineering. I spent so much time fixing never ending electrical and emissions related problems it soured my view on german cars full stop.

If you decide to stick with the Mazda, I would wait until the new CX-5 comes out with the 2.5T engine. It will likely only come on the GT and Signature trims (like the Mazda 6), and you'll be able to test drive it to see if it's worth the cost vs. buying a 2018 CX-5. At that point, the 2018 CX-5 will also have dropped in price due to the release of the new model.

Besides that, maintenance should be cheaper on the Mazda, and it will have more aftermarket support (if you're into go-fast bits like suspension upgrades, intake and exhaust modifications, etc.). Also, AA/ACP will be a dealer-offered upgrade in the future (some CX-9 owners have already started ordering all of the required parts in order to perform the upgrade themselves).

...and it will have more aftermarket support (if you're into go-fast bits like suspension upgrades, intake and exhaust modifications, etc.).

Not so sure about that. VW has a 'YUGE' tuning community.

Also, AA/ACP will be a dealer-offered upgrade in the future (some CX-9 owners have already started ordering all of the required parts in order to perform the upgrade themselves).

Tell me more....

I assume this would largely apply to my 3 as well...

Not so sure about that. VW has a 'YUGE' tuning community.

I just based the assumption off of a quick Google search. For the CX-5 I got hits for air intake systems, brakes, engine components, filters, performance chips, suspension systems, transmission & drivetrain.. for the Tiguan I got hits for brakes and suspension systems only. Of course, I could be wrong!

Tell me more....

I assume this would largely apply to my 3 as well...

Actually, some of the important info stems from a Mazda 3 board: https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...nics/228689-carplay-diagram-installation.html

And this is a quote from a post made on the CX-9 subforum:

Just letting you guys know that CP/AA is available for CX-9 from Next Month September 2018.

There is a minimum of 3 OEM Parts you must purchase.
1. A New AUX Hub unit
2. new USB Data Cables (pair of)
Plus you must obtain new Firmware 70.00.xxxx

First you must run the New 70s Firmware with original parts still there.
Then you pull dash apart,
Remove/Discard OLD AUX Hub and Install New TK78-66-9U0A Aux Hub
Remove old Single USB Data Cable and replace with the two new colour coded USB Data Cables which run up to the CMU Hardware under your Touchscreen.
All this you must do..

And no you can not use the old parts they must be removed and discarded.
MUST install new Firmware BEFORE you install new Hardware or it will not work.

MAZDA has schedules 2 hours to do Firmware install and Hardware install.

CP/AA Mirroring is done by Micro USB Cable from Phone to USB port on Aux Hub, Bluetooth will not work for mirroring, apparently.

CP/AA will be factory installed on new 2019 CX-9 and Mazda 6 from GT model and Up, low spec models will not get CP/AA, but can be purchased as accessory.

Basically the same parts for all Mazda's with Mazda Connect or MZD Connect....Firmware is Country Specific though.

Recently went through as similar quandary with the Mazda 3 Sport and a VW Golf Sportwagen.

Mazda's more reliable, cheaper to buy and maintain, nicer interior and drivetrain (as you mention)...and in my case the 3 came in at ~$7000 less (after taxes) after some discounts, rebates etc...so a bit of a no brainer for me.

The VW had more space, more bells and whistles (though at extra cost to get comparatively equipped things like BSM and LED headlights).

Sure would have like the extra space and AWD of the GSW though.

For 7k less, would have done the same

Can't speak to the seats as my 2014 Touring has cloth seats which have held up very well and clean easily.

I am at 70.5k miles on mine now. It's been cheap to maintain for sure which is a huge plus, and drives like the day I bought it (4/20/2013). The driving dynamics are great for a CUV, and I feel engaged to the road when driving it. Very happy to have gone with the Mazda.

Good to hear you are still enjoying it and had no drama

Its an insult over here that you are comparing a new engine / with electronics VW to a CX-5. I am not going to deride you for that because hearts are children that need to be controlled by our brains.
Ask yourself and wife - what do you prefer riding - an Elephant or a Horse. There is your answer.

LOL, no intention to insult the 2.5. I prefer Secretariat over Dumbo!

Depends if you are buying or leasing. If I were leasing it would be a toss up. I haven't driven a new VW in a while but my previous ones all drove very nicely. I chose the CX-5 as I tend to buy a car and hope to keep it for a while. 5-10 years. If you're in that camp, go for a Japanese reliability over german engineering. I spent so much time fixing never ending electrical and emissions related problems it soured my view on german cars full stop.

Buying with the intent to drive it to the grave!

"
If you decide to stick with the Mazda, I would wait until the new CX-5 comes out with the 2.5T engine. It will likely only come on the GT and Signature trims (like the Mazda 6), and you'll be able to test drive it to see if it's worth the cost vs. buying a 2018 CX-5. At that point, the 2018 CX-5 will also have dropped in price due to the release of the new model.

Besides that, maintenance should be cheaper on the Mazda, and it will have more aftermarket support (if you're into go-fast bits like suspension upgrades, intake and exhaust modifications, etc.). Also, AA/ACP will be a dealer-offered upgrade in the future (some CX-9 owners have already started ordering all of the required parts in order to perform the upgrade themselves).

Need to buy asap (this week) and not going to get GT trim level, anyway, be it 2018 or 2019. Will be wife's commuter and our travel car. I have a small truck for commuting and a supercharged Mustang for the summer/for fun (drive)

I just based the assumption off of a quick Google search. For the CX-5 I got hits for air intake systems, brakes, engine components, filters, performance chips, suspension systems, transmission & drivetrain.. for the Tiguan I got hits for brakes and suspension systems only. Of course, I could be wrong!

Actually, some of the important info stems from a Mazda 3 board: https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...nics/228689-carplay-diagram-installation.html

And this is a quote from a post made on the CX-9 subforum:

Just googled 'K78-66-9U0A'... I hope that price I saw isn't what dealers are going to be charging (plus labour) (nailbyt)

Hi all,
Im new here and looking for a little advice. My wife needs a new car and wants a mid-size crossover. Were planning on having a kid in the next 1 or 2 years. She also likes sitting up higher and the extra space vs a sedan. We also have a smaller dog that really enjoys car rides.

We have narrowed it down to the 2018 CX-5 Touring with the Preferred Equipment Package vs the 2018 Tiguan SEL. The Mazda would come in at about 26.5k and the VW at about 28.5k. We test drove both several times but its a head to head.

Tiguan arguments: more space, bigger moon roof, nicer entertainment system w/AA and ACP, torquier engine, better warranty, full pleather seats (suede seat inserts on Mazda probably harder to clean with dog hair/kid), newer model (2019 Mazda w/changes coming soon, though 2.5T engine not a must have for us maybe will be reserved for the new signature trim, anyway?).

I know this is a Mazda forum and you can guess why Im posting here (leaning towards the Mazda ;-))

I'd rather deal with a Mazda than a VW long-term regarding cost to own/repair/likelihood of breaking, especially considering the fact that you plan on also adding the expense of 1 or more children (unless you're adopting, you could technically get 2-3 instead of 1...).

I would encourage you strongly to wait for the 2019 RAV4, and if you can, RAV4 Hybrid (drops early 2019), and also consider them in your hunt for a new vehicle, as well, if time permits.

If not, I'd go CX5 in this class, considering the issues the CRV is having with their 1.5L engine.

By then he's likely going to be more concerned with helping his child select THEIR car.

Buying with the intent to drive it to the grave!

Yeah, just walk away from VW unless you love working on vehicles/don't care about repair expenses. Anything German, really. Stick with common Japanese vehicles. Any spare part you need later can be sourced from the myriad of t hem in junk yards that landed there due to low-mileage accidents.

have you test drove the CRV at all? it's objectively the king of CUVs right now. I just have a lot more fun in my CX5

edit: actually, reading about the 1.5L Turbo issues with Honda I would avoid the CRV. Maybe give the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid a shot, but if you're dead set on getting something now, the CX5 is a beast if you're ok with less cargo space than the competitors.

Last edited:
Back