How many miles before you replaced your original tires?

My local tire shop is recommending the Toyo Open Country Q/T and Michelin Premier LTX. They thought he Open Country should be a noticeable improvement over the OEM Toyo A23's. I'm hesitant about the Michelin Premiers based on all of the negative reviews on Tire Rack about poor tread life, so I'm leaning towards the Toyo Open Country.

My local tire shop is recommending the Toyo Open Country Q/T and Michelin Premier LTX. They thought he Open Country should be a noticeable improvement over the OEM Toyo A23's. I'm hesitant about the Michelin Premiers based on all of the negative reviews on Tire Rack about poor tread life, so I'm leaning towards the Toyo Open Country.

Installed the Michelins on my 2016 CX-5 last march and love them, so much quieter than the stock Toyos. As far as tread life, When new tread depth is 8-1/2 /32". After7700 miles all four measure at 8/32". That to me projects out to a pretty good tread life. These tyres at fantastic on wet roads

My dad's CX-5 had 25,000 miles on it when he bought it and it had brand new tires on it. So I assume the originals wore out around 25k miles. It has Yokohama Avid Ascends on it now and they are pretty nice for all seasons. My 2015 Subaru Outback came with Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport All Seasons and they were AWFUL. Noisy, hard riding, didn't grip well, and bald before 25k miles. I put General Altimax RT43s on it after that and they were marginally better, now I have Hankooks on it, I forget what model and they are pretty nice. They are quiet, soft riding, grip pretty well for an A/S, and they are wearing nicely. I forget what model they are but I want to say Optimo.

Mine have 115 miles -- I bought slightly larger Sumitomos as soon as the car was delivered.

I'm still trying to sell/give away the original tires... Anyone?! They're like new and just taking up space. Just take them!

Mine have 115 miles -- I bought slightly larger Sumitomos as soon as the car was delivered.

I'm still trying to sell/give away the original tires... Anyone?! They're like new and just taking up space. Just take them!

Where are you located? Id be interested if you're just gonna give them away.

After posting my oem yoko's for sale (cheap) at work for 2 days and finding out how tightass well paid people can be,I donated them to a local charity.I shoulda went there first.My conscience even felt better. Jmaz

Where are you located? Id be interested if you're just gonna give them away.

NYC. Let me know if you want to meet up; they're yours since you have 1st claim.

After posting my oem yoko's for sale (cheap) at work for 2 days and finding out how tightass well paid people can be,I donated them to a local charity.I shoulda went there first.My conscience even felt better. Jmaz

I tried $80 for the set initially but now it's just please take them!

My tires were replaced 23K miles or so. The life is bad for Yokohamas though performance was good and grip was good too.

dc16 - setup an eBay and do a local pickup for tires. Provide pics of thread and post the information. I see $30 a pop for bad quality used tires - 4 for $80 should sell on eBay in NYC no problemo due to high population density. Do local cash on delivery and don't take Paypal. Also read up about protecting yourself. eBay can pay you top dollar for small and big stuff. Good lurk!

dc16 - setup an eBay and do a local pickup for tires. Provide pics of thread and post the information. I see $30 a pop for bad quality used tires - 4 for $80 should sell on eBay in NYC no problemo due to high population density. Do local cash on delivery and don't take Paypal. Also read up about protecting yourself. eBay can pay you top dollar for small and big stuff. Good lurk!

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't sold on eBay in a while, but did use Craigslist to sell tires a few years ago in a cash exchange at a CVS parking lot.

These are recent completed/sold listings for Toyo A23 225/55/19 on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Not considering condition and wear, it looks like the going rate is about $65 a tire.

I do have a thread going in the for sale section here, but I may list on eBay as you suggest.

But first, I'm going to give a little time for JRM1022 to respond because I did say that he could have them for free local pickup/meetup.

OE Toyo A23 225/55R19 on gen-1 CX-5 used to cost $269.31 each. 225/55R19 A36 on gen-2 CX-5 now is about $120 each. I guess very few vehicles are using this size, and you couldnt sell them on Craigslist for only $80 on 4 such odd-sized brand-new tires.

NYC. Let me know if you want to meet up; they're yours since you have 1st claim.

I'm in Pittsburgh, New York is about 6 hours. I visit New York a couple times a year but I was just there about about a month ago. Go ahead and list them up, if you still can't get rid of them, let me know and I'll make a trip. Thanks!

I do have a thread going in the for sale section here, but I may list on eBay as you suggest.

But first, I'm going to give a little time for JRM1022 to respond because I did say that he could have them for free local pickup/meetup.
Not sure how much would cost to ship a tire nowadays. But I do believe UPS or USPS would be expensive to ship a tire. If you're willing to ship, it'd be very easy to get rid of them. I may also be interested because my OE Toyo A23's are down to 4/32" on tread depth.

Not sure how much would cost to ship a tire nowadays. But I do believe UPS or USPS would be expensive to ship a tire. If you're willing to ship, it'd be very easy to get rid of them. I may also be interested because my OE Toyo A23's are down to 4/32" on tread depth.

I think it cost me $20 a tire from Tire Rack but the rep said that they have deal with UPS given their volume.

The tires are a somewhat rare size despite the number of CX5s on the road.

I just put a Craigslist posting up... JRM1022, when do you think you'll be in NY next time?

I think it cost me $20 a tire from Tire Rack but the rep said that they have deal with UPS given their volume.

I just put a Craigslist posting up... JRM1022, when do you think you'll be in NY next time?
When I tried to return a very light-weight (8 lbs) carry-on wife didn't like, UPS Store said it'd cost me $58 to ship due to the size! Tire Rack and other major online stores definitely have special much lower rate than us for shipping. Amazon even has created its own shipping company skipping UPS and Fedx apparently trying to lower the cost of shipping.

If you're willling to check out the cost of shipping to Dallas, please PM me as I'm soon in the market getting a new set of 225/55R19 tires.

Yes, 225/55R19 is an odd-sized tire it'd be harder to find a buyer other than Mazda CX-5 owners.

If I were JRM1022 and I'd make a special trip to NYC very soon. But I believe his parent's CX-5 just had a new set of tires based on his post, and he isn't in urgent need for it.

I was planning around early June. That's subject to change, but if you can get something for them on Craigslist, don't hold off on my account.

When I tried to return a very light-weight (8 lbs) carry-on wife didn't like, UPS Store said it'd cost me $58 to ship due to the size! Tire Rack and other major online stores definitely have special much lower rate than us for shipping. Amazon even has created its own shipping company skipping UPS and Fedx apparently trying to lower the cost of shipping.

If you're willling to check out the cost of shipping to Dallas, please PM me as I'm soon in the market getting a new set of 225/55R19 tires.

Yes, 225/55R19 is an odd-sized tire it'd be harder to find a buyer other than Mazda CX-5 owners.

If I were JRM1022 and I'd make a special trip to NYC very soon. But I believe his parent's CX-5 just had a new set of tires based on his post, and he isn't in urgent need for it.

Yeah, both my Outback and my Dad's CX-5 have nearly new tires in them. If I was in urgent need of them, I'd be on my way to New York right now.

Does anyone actually buy tires from their Mazda dealer? Price aside, mine is only giving me a choice of Toyo A36, and a couple of Yokohama's. I'd never buy Toyo's since the originals only lasted 25K, and the Yoko's don't seem to be anyone's favorite on here. Right now I think its between the Michelin Premier LTX; General Alltimax of the Pirelli's, none of which my dealer even mentions.

Don't have a ton of faith in my dealer anyway, but also tough to find a local tire shops with a good reputation.

In my previous CX5 my oem Toyos wore out way to quickly, as others have said. After some research I was told that Mazda has the original Toyo's made specifically to their specs for the CX5.....that is to have low N,V &H as well as to really grip the road. No wonder it handles so well!! In addition the tread depth is slightly less that the same tire you would buy from a TOYO dealer. The trade off is really short tread life.

In looking for a replacement I had considered some of the same brands as others on this thread....Michelin, Pirelli, Continental. NOW, Mazda recommends a V rated tire(at least for the GT) and if you read the paper sticker on some Pirelli's it says that if you install a tire with a speed rating lower than that recommended by the car manufacturer Pirelli will not honor the tire warranty. For that reason I opted out of the Pirelli's. In the end after a lot of research I went with the Michelin Premier LTX which I really loved and had great success with over the remaining 2 years I had my 2014 CX5. BUT, now I'm back to Toyo's again as I traded up to a 2108 CX5 in January. A small consolation, but at least I know I'll have a great ride for the next 2-3 years on my new Toyo's until they prematurely wear out as expected!! After that....I'll take another look at the Michelin Premier LTX, although my connection at COSTCO says that he has a better Michelin tire in mind for me. Can't remember the model but I'll report back with some info.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back