How many miles before you replaced your original tires?

Arcticshade

Contributor
:
2017 CX5 GT AWD w/ PP & 2016.5 CX5 GT AWD w/ Tech and Nav
Hi all,

My 2016 GT AWD is just past 30k miles and I was wondering how many miles did you get out of your original set of tires? I'm assuming I should get about another 10k, but wasn't sure if you could go further.

Bonus points if you have 19" rims and AWD for comparison purposes.

Thanks!

19 AWD. My oem Toyos are toast at 20k miles. Just under 4/32 all around. Trying to make it till its time to mount the Blizzaks. Will replace in the spring.

Different stock tires on mine (2014 Touring AWD) which had the 17" Yokohamas. They had to go at 18.5k miles due to developing sidewall bubbles, but their wear wasn't great either.

Neither the Yokohamas or the Toyos are long lasting tires at UTQG ratings of 280 BA and 300 AA respectively.

As for whether or not you can keep going, just get a tire gauge or penny and see what your tread is at.

My Toyos made it to about 35k. I consider this decent for an OEM tire.

19* AWD. My oem Toyo*s are toast at 20k miles. Just under 4/32 all around. Trying to make it till it*s time to mount the Blizzaks. Will replace in the spring.

There is someone on the tire section who got $240 to be used towards a new set of tires. His wear was about same as yours. You can check with Mazda and Toyo.
Yokohama on the other hand has 0 miles warranty. If you roll off the dealer and measure the tires next day and it reads 4/32 - they are going to politely ask you to bugger off.
I am replacing the s*** Yokohama Tires at 23K miles. In rain at this point - they are awful and unstable.

19* AWD. My oem Toyo*s are toast at 20k miles. Just under 4/32 all around. Trying to make it till it*s time to mount the Blizzaks. Will replace in the spring.

Wow that is crazy fast. Any special driving conditions that made them wear so fast?

Wow that is crazy fast. Any special driving conditions that made them wear so fast?

Probably half those miles are road trip or freeway driving, much at 75-85 mph. I do punch it on launch, but never burn rubber. Cant remember any emergency stops/skids. So, no, normal metro driving for the most part. Just crappy OEM tires I guess.

Probably half those miles are road trip or freeway driving, much at 75-85 mph. I do punch it on launch, but never burn rubber. Can*t remember any emergency stops/skids. So, no, normal metro driving for the most part. Just crappy OEM tires I guess.
With "300 A A" UTQG, our OE Toyo A23 225/55R19 99V tires should last about 30,000 miles. At 4/32" tread right now mine have 28,000 miles on them.

Like Kaps said, you should call Toyo directly complaining about your situation. You may get "goodwill" credit from Toyo like SBMongoos did earlier. $61.xx credit per tire for any tire purchase is an excellent deal. Don't waste your time and call Mazda North American Operations as OE tires are warranted by tire manufacture directly. And there's no mileage warranty on OE Toyo tires, but if you are lucky enough and talk to a right person (hopefully not Debbie) she or he may give you goodwill credit for your early wear-out on your Toyo tires.

The tires that came on my 2016.5 CX-5 GT, I'm told, are at 4/32. I drove off the lot on 10/31/16. The odometer recently hit 19k. These are the Toyo A23 I believe. I prefer Discount Tire based on location to my home and they always give me the best price (been doing business with them about three decades). I pinged Mazda out of curiosity about the warranty of the A23s and they had me ping Toyo. Toyo called Discount to confirm the 4/32 and the mileage. Discount now says that Toyo is offering me 35% off and I can use that on whatever I want.
I just swung by DT. I'm getting a $61.x per tire credit from Toyo and they already have it in the system and saved with some tires (we can change to whatever tire I choose). But the more miles I put on the more that credit will be impacted.

Last edited:
Hi all,

My 2016 GT AWD is just past 30k miles and I was wondering how many miles did you get out of your original set of tires? I'm assuming I should get about another 10k, but wasn't sure if you could go further.

Bonus points if you have 19" rims and AWD for comparison purposes.

Thanks!

Recently Ive replaced all my CX-5s before new tires were needed. [emoji23]

2016 GT AWD 19". Stock Toyos were down to 3/32 at 25000 miles. Replaced them with Michelin Premier LTXs

Maybe Texas roads are easier on tires :p They do the official wear testing out in the western part of the state after all...

Thank you for all the responses. It looks like I'm lucking out at 30k miles as is. Probably going to have to change them in a couple of months. Any recommendations for tire/brand?

Lol the plebs changing tires. Buy a new car already - it comes with brand new tires.

Thank you for all the responses. It looks like I'm lucking out at 30k miles as is. Probably going to have to change them in a couple of months. Any recommendations for tire/brand?

Depends on what you are looking for out of a tire really.

Depends on what you are looking for out of a tire really.

Basically looking for an all season tire, with emphasis on rain/snow tracking. Secondary concerns is good wear and quiet ride.

New Jersey climate has a little of everything - snow storms, to torrential downpours, to Sahara hot dry spells.

Back