Lightweight crank

:
83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i
I have been thinking about getting the hydra motor sports lightweight crank pulley and was curious what kind of gains I would see. I already have a decent amount of mods to help my lil NA FS!

I have been thinking about getting the hydra motor sports lightweight crank pulley and was curious what kind of gains I would see. I already have a decent amount of mods to help my lil NA FS!

I'm also interested in picking one of these bad boys up. Seems like a better deal than a UDP, since it doesn't mess with your belt sizes, and theoretically shouldn't harmonically unbalance the crankshaft (at least I don't think it will).

I've read that the UDP/Lightweight Pulley add some nice low-end grunt. It's good to couple it with the OBX header, since the header moves the power up to 4kRPM and beyond. The two in tandem are a sweet deal for our cars!

Been running UR UDP and lightened wp/alt/ps pulleys for 8 yrs or more. Shorter belts, no big deal. No ill effects of any kind.

Been running UR UDP and lightened wp/alt/ps pulleys for 8 yrs or more. Shorter belts, no big deal. No ill effects of any kind.

I didnt know there were more light weight pulleys other than the crank. Give me some suggestions and links! I also have the spooled up 4-1 header which should be the same as the obx right?

The lightened pulleys came from vendor on here yrs ago, They'd be unicorns about now I would think........4-1 headers will all be similar, main thing is the egr port being parallel with flange for correct fit for egr tube. I think vendor was medieval or somethin like that. Here's pic of pulleys and blue UDP crank..........

100_1215.jpg

the ps one actually had a do over and ended up like this................

323f_Ngin.JPG

I have yet to install mine. I will report gains or impressions of after it gets installed.

It is SO much lighter than stock it's silly.

There is also an underdrive OBX pulley ( underdrive = smaller than stock ).
d2dac98f4c0fa6bc3253295314dfb602.jpg

Thanks, looks better without the scorched purply header and old faunky intake. Those pics just show pulleys/UDP.............looks like this now with 505zoom intake, WeaponR overflow tank and ceramic coated OBX header..............

323F_mtr_01.JPG

My concern with an under drive pulley in general with our car specifically is that it slows down our alternator pulley even more.
So if you're idling with the stereo cranked and our 70 Amp alternator is putting out something like 4 amps your gonna stall or kill your battery.

Only time I notice any of that is idling with AC running, brights and low beams(HID) and fogs, running windshield wipers and oem stereo at half vol all at same time - volts drop to 12.3. Driving like that stays at 13.8 and idling with nothing on = 14.5 - 14.62. oem alternator & 5yr battery. Non-issue for me...............I do have full ground kit installed...must help it out.

From what I*ve experienced, the gains aren*t noticeable with lightened pulleys alone and my (more objective) friends have also said the same.

However, when I converted my Type R to a track only car (no A/C) and taking into account lightened flywheel and lightened pulleys, you do notice that the engine revs up very freely. Did it make a difference to lap times? No.

Pcb is right abou the underdrive pulley though - you dont want to be running that if you have a whole bunch of extra electrics (like sound system).

In my case, lightened pulleys and UDP were but a coupla small things to do to NA sportauto in a bigger scheme of things to make it tolerable.....P&P IM, VTCS removed, hdr, hiflo catted midpipe, catback, 505zoom intake, tranny cooler, 1.8 coils, zfr plugs......etc etc etc all combine to make a nice difference.

That*s right - it*s all part of a bigger picture, and they add up. Did you find that the UDP probably gives more results than the lightened pulleys?

Back