Took First Road trip in our 2018 CX-5..36.1 MPG!

Just finished my first "road trip" in my 18 From CT to NJ on mostly the Merritt Parkway which if any of you know is very twisty and has lots of elevation change. I averaged 35.2 over 314 miles at an average speed of probably around 60 using the ACC. I'm extremely impressed!

So its is not just me that has noted unexpectedly high MPG on a road trip in a 2018. It must have to do with the cylinder deactivation.

Just did a 72km trip and combined average was right on the mark - 7.4L/100km

Last edited:
Idk guys fuelly numbers i just checked don't seem to support anything substantial post CD nor the epa obviously. I know the Merritt well it does have some nice movement to it esp through Greenwich though not what I'd consider a lot of elevation change but certainly not I95 flat either but its only about 40 miles long so not sure how that road alone accounted for the majority of a 300+ mile road trip. I also know that despite a 55mph posted limit anything under 70 is almost a road hazard..but i still do have a few questions:
1. Tire pressure..checked/known?
2. Stock 19" w/t?
3. AC running?
4. How slow were you really going?;)
5. Was 35.2 displayed fe verified via miles traveled/gallons refilled?

Idk guys fuelly numbers i just checked don't seem to support anything substantial post CD nor the epa obviously. I know the Merritt well it does have some nice movement to it esp through Greenwich though not what I'd consider a lot of elevation change but certainly not I95 flat either but its only about 40 miles long so not sure how that road alone accounted for the majority of a 300+ mile road trip. I also know that despite a 55mph posted limit anything under 70 is almost a road hazard..but i still do have a few questions:
2. Stock 19" w/t?
3. AC running?
Tire pressure was checked. Stock 19s. AC was on second lowest fan speed. There was quite a bit of traffic in both directions so 65 was about the fastest I went. Not a speed demon. It isn't worth it especially with the short entrance ramps there.

And no I wasn't calculating manually but if memory serves me right I have about 5/8 of a tank left when I filled up before the drive back. I've calculated past commutes and like most others the computer is pretty much dead nuts.
Tire pressure was checked. Stock 19s. AC was on second lowest fan speed. There was quite a bit of traffic in both directions so 65 was about the fastest I went. Not a speed demon. It isn't worth it especially with the short entrance ramps there.

Re my above post today:

but i still do have a few questions:
36psi, checked last weekend
2. Stock 19" w/t?
Stock 19" tyres with "Pizza Rims"
3. AC running?
No

15.8 kilometres (9.87 miles) at 40-60 km/h (24.85-37.28 mph) first stage
43.8 kilometres (27.21 miles) at 80-110 km/h (49.70-68.35 mph) second stage
12.9 kilometres (8.02 miles) at 60-70 km/h (37.28-43.50 mph) final stage

Regarding what I posted above forgot to at the conversion rate. 7.4L/100km equates to 31.79 US mpg.

Also did the trip home the same way and combined average was 7.5L/100km (0.1L off the official figure) which equates to 31.36 US mpg

And no I wasn't calculating manually but if memory serves me right I have about 5/8 of a tank left when I filled up before the drive back. I've calculated past commutes and like most others the computer is pretty much dead nuts.

So what were the pressures? Up or right at recommended in doorjamb?
Mine- while close tends to be consistently optimistic.. ie 29.x displayed ends up being 28.x- typically within 1.0. Regardless that is outstanding FE- I've certainly never sniffed 35 in mine even when trying but I don't drive 60ish either and I do know it gets quite a bit better if you do. I'm thinking the diesel will let me drive as I normally do- @75 moderately aggressive and still return low 30s.. jury's still out on that one.

Last edited:
I use the door jamb but that number escapes me.
So what were the pressures? Up or right at recommended in doorjamb?
Mine- while close tends to be consistently optimistic.. ie 29.x displayed ends up being 28.x- typically within 1.0. Regardless that is outstanding FE- I've certainly never sniffed 35 in mine even when trying but I don't drive 60ish either and I do know it gets quite a bit better if you do. I'm thinking the diesel will let me drive as I normally do- @75 moderately aggressive and still return low 30s.. jury's still out on that one.

I just did a roughly 1600+ mile journey up the east coast (I-95!) and with the associated around town driving at the destination still averaged 29.3 MPG for the trip. This from my 2014 GT with over 100K miles.

Still very happy with the MPG for this car.

I verified my dash calc with reality when I first got the car, and was pleased to see it overestimated only 0.2 MPG.

A year later, and it's lying its ass off to the tune of 2+ MPG over reality.

If you didn't hand-calculate after filling up the exact same way as the prior fill, you don't have any clue how good or bad your mileage is.

2. Stock 19" w/t?
3. AC running?

I know this question isn't for me but I wanna play too.....lol.

I calculated my 8.52l/100km's when I arrived home. I saved all my gas receipts and used trip A for my road trip. I didn't use the onboard calculator.

My tire pressures were checked the day before and were 36psi.
Mine has the stock 17" wheels (Canadian GS model)
AC was on high almost the entire 5500km's
Cruise set between 105-115km/h most of the trip. Some parts of the trip the speed limit was 120km/h so...that's what I did. The last day of the trip I was cruising at 120-130km/h most of the time.

I'm sure I could have done a lot of things and achieved a MUCH better fuel mileage, but I'm happy with it.

Just did a 72km trip and combined average was right on the mark - 7.4L/100km

Just did the same trip again but with 3 people on board, with air conditioning running and several times had to floor it whilst already doing 100km/h (62mph) to overtake wayward ̶i̶d̶i̶o̶t̶s̶ drivers on the motorway - 7.6L/100KM. I am pleased :D

Last edited:
Just did the same trip again but with 3 people on board, with air conditioning running and several times had to floor it whilst already doing 100km/h (62mph) to overtake wayward *i*d*i*o*t*s* drivers on the motorway - 7.6L/100KM. I am pleased :D

About 31 MPG, that is good. I got ~29 MPG over 1600+ miles where the speed limit was anywhere from 55 o 70 mph. I generally drive 9 miles faster than the posted speed limit (so speed varied between 55-79 mph). The only issue is the road noise, which as I get older, bothers e more.

Fair enough. Road noise was at a minimum for most of the trip. On occasion it was a bit more due to road surface type but compared to my previous Mazda 6 which had done the same trip, the CX-5 is still much quieter.

Back