How do you find your CX-5 highway acceleration to be?

But this daggone Soul Red Crystal Metallic. It's like a girl with a bad reputation, and I know what she's gonna do to me, but there's just something about her....

It is a GORGEOUS colour. Just on another guys car IMO... haha

Another bonus about a silver car (besides that they don't look as dirty as fast) IMO is that it also makes you a touch more inconspicuous to the po-lease and such ;)

As for y'all and your manual modes.... you guys should just buy sticks and maybe they'd be less of a dying breed :p

The only 'manual mode' I need or want:

2017_Mazda3_interior_026.jpg

Another bonus about a silver car (besides that they don't look as dirty as fast) IMO is that it also makes you a touch more inconspicuous to the po-lease and such ;)

As for y'all and your manual modes.... you guys should just buy sticks and maybe they'd be less of a dying breed :p

I was looking at other Mazdas that have manual shift. But I'm down-sizing from a truck and still need to be able to pull a utility trailer and take trash to the drop-off center.

But I get what you're saying. I've always preferred stick. That morphed a little when the area I lived in (Northern Virginia) grew so much that even Saturdays were stop & go traffic. Automatics made that kind of driving a whole lot easier.

If I had another reliable vehicle I could haul stuff around in and throw all my gear in to drag to the beach for a week, I'd be looking at a Miata...and not an automatic one!!!

The majority of drivers, a big majority I would guess, have no clue about riding a gear down an incline.

The gearbox does automatically change up a gear when one is going down an incline whilst pressing the brake

I was looking at other Mazdas that have manual shift. But I'm down-sizing from a truck and still need to be able to pull a utility trailer and take trash to the drop-off center.

But I get what you're saying. I've always preferred stick. That morphed a little when the area I lived in (Northern Virginia) grew so much that even Saturdays were stop & go traffic. Automatics made that kind of driving a whole lot easier.

If I had another reliable vehicle I could haul stuff around in and throw all my gear in to drag to the beach for a week, I'd be looking at a Miata...and not an automatic one!!!

Fair enough. I wish we could get a (not bare bones) CX5 (or 6 wagon) with a manual shift in North America. Mazda would have sold me a higher profit vehicle if they did.

I live in one of worst traffic rated cities in North America and I still drive a stick you wuss :p

Tried talking my wife in to letting me get an MX5 to commute with and have her car for getting the family around but no dice lol

FWIW, I've been towing one of these:
jumping_jack_trailer_3ft_awning_1144822_1_og.jpg

With one of these:
2011_Suzuki_SX4-Crossover_5-Door-Hatchback.jpg

...for 4 years. I'm upgrading to a Mazda 3 (later today in fact). Same engine as the CX5, lighter and more aerodynamic (albeit smaller/less trunk space) and with a manual.

CAC80MAC172C121003.png

Fair enough. I wish we could get a (not bare bones) CX5 (or 6 wagon) with a manual shift in North America. Mazda would have sold me a higher profit vehicle if they did.

I live in one of worst traffic rated cities in North America and I still drive a stick you wuss :p

Tried talking my wife in to letting me get an MX5 to commute with and have her car for getting the family around but no dice lol

With one of these:

...for 4 years. I'm upgrading to a Mazda 3 (later today in fact). Same engine as the CX5, lighter and more aerodynamic (albeit smaller/less trunk space) and with a manual.

CAC80MAC172C121003.png

So you have a frame hitch on that car?

The gearbox does automatically change up a gear when one is going down an incline whilst pressing the brake

Umm...don't think you are understanding what he means. The idea is to keep it in a specific gear (say 2 or 3 for example) to avoid using the brakes.

Extreme example being when I was descending from the top of Pikes Peak in Colorado. You'll burn your brakes out if you don't pop it into manual mode. Pop it into manual mode at keep it on 2 and descend without having to use your brakes except around the sharp bends. Otherwise you will be constantly using the brakes as the car decends and goes into gears 4 and 5 as an example.

Last edited:

With one of these:

CAC80MAC172C121003.png

In the USA market, the CX-3 only offers the 2.0L, regardless of trim package.
The Mazda3 4 door and 5 door hatchback offer the 2.0L and the 2.5L, depending on the trim package.

So much of this escapes reason.
And it's not only Mazda.

Umm...don't think you are understanding what he means. The idea is to keep it in a specific gear (say 2 or 3 for example) to avoid using the brakes.

Extreme example being when I was descending from the top of Pikes Peak in Colorado. You'll burn your brakes out if you don't pop it into manual mode. Pop it into manual mode at keep it on 2 and descend without having to use your brakes except around the sharp bends. Otherwise you will be constantly using the brakes as the car decends and goes into gears 4 and 5 as an example.
I understand perfectly. After it shifts up a gear, I can step off the brake and use the engine to control the speed going down the incline. Done it numerous times on the 6 and now on the CX-5. It either drops to 4th or 3rd gear.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that.
Uhh...yeah I'm gonna second this.

When you're at a constant steep downward incline for miles, not sure how that's supposed to work Xeler8. In fact it absolutely does not work like that.

Yer my boy blue! Here's my issue..as much as I've enjoyed driving manuals since I learned how to drive (sans the past 34mo) what I'd miss even more is Rwd. Fun car absolutely must be rwd(or rear biased awd..no fwd)with a usable back seat. Add a manual and a 35k budget to that equation and the options shrink faster than my sack at a charity polar plunge..holding out hope for the g70 which likely will pierce the budget some but..turbo4 only if I go manual and from what I've gleaned so far that manual well it ain't the best. Which leads me to my final point a bad manual and/or clutch and/or rev hang can make a good responsive auto(not cvt) with paddles look like Cristy Lee pretty fast. So much props on your choice its a great little rig for sure but for a fun car it just doesn't quite get there for me..the Veloster N(I know I said no fwds) will still be looked at with a proper manual..still waiting to see pricing on these.

Last edited:

When you're at a constant steep downward incline for miles, not sure how that's supposed to work Xeler8. In fact it absolutely does not work like that.
I didn't say for miles. Short distance incline such as going down a hill and then reaching a traffic light. I get to the incline and start going down. Speed is 50km/h. I brake to hold speed. CX-5 up shifts from 5th to 4th/3rd. Engine revs rise and speed tapers and/or remains near 50km/h. Engine braking. As I said occured on my 6 and now here. Different to manual mode down an incline.

Anyway....

Last edited:
The above is different to braking via gears in manual mode. I get that.

I didn't say for miles. Short distance incline such as going down a hill and then reaching a traffic light. I get to the incline and start going down. Speed is 50km/h. I brake to hold speed. CX-5 up shifts from 5th to 4th/3rd. Engine revs rise and speed tapers and/or remains near 50km/h. Engine braking. As I said occured on my 6 and now here. Different to manual mode down an incline.

Anyway....

Ah...I understand now. That makes more sense.

All good, my friend! (thumb)

No, but it works initially, and gives you plenty of time to slop the shifter over and "manually" maintain it.

Yer my boy blue! Here's my issue..as much as I've enjoyed driving manuals since I learned how to drive (sans the past 34mo) what I'd miss even more is Rwd. Fun car absolutely must be rwd(or rear biased awd..no fwd)with a usable back seat. Add a manual and a 35k budget to that equation and the options shrink faster than my sack at a charity polar plunge..holding out hope for the g70 which likely will pierce the budget some but..turbo4 only if I go manual and from what I've gleaned so far that manual well it ain't the best. Which leads me to my final point a bad manual and/or clutch and/or rev hang can make a good responsive auto(not cvt) with paddles look like Cristy Lee pretty fast. So much props on your choice its a great little rig for sure but for a fun car it just doesn't quite get there for me..the Veloster N(I know I said no fwds) will still be looked at with a proper manual..still waiting to see pricing on these.

Yeah the RWD was one of the (faint hope) reasons I was hoping my wife would go for the Miata plan lol

Here's hoping they make the next gen 6 (and 3 for that matter) available with AWD and a manual. That might better fit your criteria.

But yeah, the options in North America for something that hits all my check boxes is pretty much non existent (Fun to drive, manual, Hatch/wagon/CUV, room for 4 + dog, AWD) So I had to compromise on the FWD (and a bit on space) to get something close. Wouldn't have hated a touch more power either but again...when your options are compromise or...nothing.

And the extra space and AWD is why we were originally leaning towards the VW GSW. That and you can pretty easily tune those for over 200 HP and Tq. But I didn't like it $7000 more (or the higher maintenance costs and lower reliability).

Picked up my new silver beaut last night :)

Last edited:
Did motorway trip yesterday and couple of times had to avoid trucks coming into my lane (changed to fast lane) and have to say up shifted a few gears and performance was there.

Back