How do you find your CX-5 highway acceleration to be?

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I've been reading a lot (and asking some questions here) as I shop for a new car, and the CX-5 Grand Touring is on my short list.

I know that no affordable mid-sized SUV is going to remind me of my '67 Camaro (which is a good thing at the gas pump), but my one test drive left me underwhelmed at the highway acceleration (we were doing 75MPH). In fact, I wondered if some maximum speed setting had been engaged (the car had been driven to the dealer from their out-of-state location.) There was no roar of the engine...just nothing. This is on my list of things to pay particular attention to when I go back for another test drive, and is also noted in some of the reviews I have read.

I live in a very rural area...very little traffic and nearly all 45MPH-55MPH winding roads (and some with no posted speed limit), with some excursions on the 70MPH interstate. It's feeling safe when passing on the 55MPH roads (one lane each direction) that concerns me a little, and slightly less so with being on the interstate where average speeds are 80MPH.

What is your experience? For all the positive things I read here and other forums about them, no one (outside of the on line reviews) has mentioned lack of power at highway speeds significantly affecting their enjoyment or their feeling safe behind the wheel.

Some people wold want you to think the CX-5 is a pig in this department.

Its adequate for the highway. I have no problem merging onto the autobahn.

2c797446748965a9d7cdea4591c601c4.jpg

I have no issues here on the motorway. Max speed limit here is 110km/h (68.35mph) and has enough power to get to that speed especially merging from an on-ramp.

On a few occasions, I've had to gun it from 110km/h to avoid wayward i̶d̶i̶o̶t̶s̶ drivers and it had more than enough to get to 120km/h-130km/h (74.56mph-80.73mph) and this is without using sport mode.

Some people wold want you to think the CX-5 is a pig in this department.

It*s adequate for the highway. I have no problem merging onto the autobahn.

2c797446748965a9d7cdea4591c601c4.jpg

Well. That picture answered that!

I saw a couple of vids of Mazdas on the AutoBahn, but one was the diesel engine and the other was a 6 speed manual and not the automatic.

Forgive my ignorance, but I see your speedometer is calibrated in MPH. Is that common over there? The vids I saw were all KPH (I believe they were traveling 220 KPH). But they were also 2015/2016 models.

I have no issues here on the motorway. Max speed limit here is 110km/h (68.35mph) and has enough power to get to that speed especially merging from an on-ramp.

On a few occasions, I've had to gun it from 110km/h to avoid wayward i*d*i*o*t*s* drivers and it had more than enough to get to 120km/h-130km/h (74.56mph-80.73mph) and this is without using sport mode.

Thanks, Xeler8ting. That was what I was concerned about...the other <strike>idiots</strike> drivers on the road. I was going to ask about how Sport Mode might assist this.

How do you find your CX-5's highway accelertion to be?

I see your speedometer is calibrated in MPH. Is that common over there?

Its a US CX-5. I work for the US Military

My HUD is set to KPH because speed limits. [emoji23] and highway signs indicating distance in km.

Thanks, Xeler8ting. That was what I was concerned about...the other <strike>idiots</strike> drivers on the road. I was going to ask about how Sport Mode might assist this.

No problem.

Sport mode will help as it keeps the engine in the optimum rev range by locking out the higher gears.

Sport mode is useful when passing.

Thanks for that.
I had thought it might.

Perhaps some of the safety settings prevented me from doing what I tried to do during the test drive. We were in moderate traffic. The guy from the dealership was sitting next to me and I mentioned it, but then something else came up. I really need to take a more extended drive.

Thanks for that.
I had thought it might.

Perhaps some of the safety settings prevented me from doing what I tried to do during the test drive. We were in moderate traffic. The guy from the dealership was sitting next to me and I mentioned it, but then something else came up. I really need to take a more extended drive.

The only safety setting that maybe on is ASL:

ny9pwg.jpg

2pspu6f.jpg

v7gys2.jpg

1532rzm.jpg

4gm4j4.jpg

Otherwise none of the other safety settings should affect your driving unless Mazda Radar Cruise Control is on and there was a vehicle in front of you

Last edited:
The only safety setting that maybe on is ASL:

ny9pwg.jpg

2pspu6f.jpg

v7gys2.jpg

1532rzm.jpg

4gm4j4.jpg

Otherwise none of the other should affect your driving unless Mazda Radar Cruise Control is on and there was a vehicle in front of you

It was the ASL I wondered about. The car I test drove had JUST arrived from another location the dealer has that's almost 300 miles away, so I wondered if that had been set.

It was the ASL I wondered about. The car I test drove had JUST arrived from another location the dealer has that's almost 300 miles away, so I wondered if that had been set.
Possibly.

Take another one for a test drive but make sure ASL is off. Print off my manual extracts and take it with you so you know how to turn it off :)

When I test drove to CX-5s, I did not have the luxury to test them on the motorway. But I was able to gun it and it responded well.

Just over 3 months of ownership and lives up to my expectations performance wise including on the motorway.

It is fine. People here will complain that there 300 HP Lexus feels faster and that their CX-5 feels unsafe. But honestly, it is fine.

I've been reading a lot (and asking some questions here) as I shop for a new car, and the CX-5 Grand Touring is on my short list.

I know that no affordable mid-sized SUV is going to remind me of my '67 Camaro (which is a good thing at the gas pump), but my one test drive left me underwhelmed at the highway acceleration (we were doing 75MPH). In fact, I wondered if some maximum speed setting had been engaged (the car had been driven to the dealer from their out-of-state location.) There was no roar of the engine...just nothing. This is on my list of things to pay particular attention to when I go back for another test drive, and is also noted in some of the reviews I have read.

I live in a very rural area...very little traffic and nearly all 45MPH-55MPH winding roads (and some with no posted speed limit), with some excursions on the 70MPH interstate. It's feeling safe when passing on the 55MPH roads (one lane each direction) that concerns me a little, and slightly less so with being on the interstate where average speeds are 80MPH.

What is your experience? For all the positive things I read here and other forums about them, no one (outside of the on line reviews) has mentioned lack of power at highway speeds significantly affecting their enjoyment or their feeling safe behind the wheel.

Mine does just fine, and if your 67 Camaro was stock, is probably just as fast as it was.

Lol. My car goes faster when I waxed it within a week too.

Nah..thats your MazdaSpeed decal. [emoji23][emoji23]

But seriously, it holds gear longer so, at least it feels like, it provides more torque for passing.

Depends what you are coming from. We do mostly highway driving and have to quickly accelerate on them merging with 75+ MPH traffic. Our 2014 just doesnt cut it and is a dog executing this safely, meaning no one cuts you a break where I live merging! Again if your used to slow you will think its fine. :D I just think a great handling SUV with a smooth shifting 6 speed transmission deserves a more powerful sport trim that makes it fly. I sure hope Mazda stays away from going CVT as other than Subarus execution of one, they sound and feel horrible during acceration. Drive a Nissan Rouge to get my point.

I used to have a BMW M4 as my DD and I dont find the Mazda exceptionally underpowered for what it is on the Autobahn. :shrug:

Back