Do you change the washer when engine oil chage - where do u get it from?

:
mazda
I am going to change the engine oil
Wonder if yo u replace the washer when engine oil change - where do u get it from?

5qt jar oil is enough? Using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic

Curious, what is the fact recommended interval for oil change?

Note:
2013 M5 Sport 89k current mileage
Currently has regular oil - want to move to Mobil 1

Last edited:
Replace the crush washer each time. Get from your dealer, online, or even as a multiple 5 combo pack, get 5oil filters/5washers together if you plan on keeping for a while...

5 qt container will be more than enough.

Not sure what year yours is, but with synthetic, I don't think that you can go wrong with the 6 mo / 5k city / 7,500 hwy change interval.

If you wanted to be a more frugal and eco-friendly, after break in, you could stretch it to a 12 mo / 7500 city / 10000 hwy. (be sure to use a proper extended duration synthetic, and be sure to check level occasionally) (RTM)

Replace the crush washer each time. Get from your dealer, online, or even as a multiple 5 combo pack, get 5oil filters/5washers together if you plan on keeping for a while...

5 qt container will be more than enough.

Not sure what year yours is, but with synthetic, I don't think that you can go wrong with the 6 mo / 5k city / 7,500 hwy change interval.

If you wanted to be a more frugal and eco-friendly, after break in, you could stretch it to a 12 mo / 7500 city / 10000 hwy. (be sure to use a proper extended duration synthetic, and be sure to check level occasionally) (RTM)

2013 M5 Sport 89k current mileage
Currently has regular oil - want to move to Mobil 1

Last edited:
mazdadude gave solid recommendations.

If you are interested in switching to M1, look up https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions. For example, there is a promotion right now of up to $17 off for a 5 qt purchase.

At your mileage and location and given how easy on oil this engine normally is, you can use just about any oil brand of just about any grade: 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 etc. It's more about price and availability. Well, and preference to a degree. But for 5-7k miles, any M1 fluid will work assuming no racing, towing, and other extreme use.

And I use Hyundai crush washers on my 5. I got a bunch for my Hyundai 2.4L via eBay or some other source some years ago and realized during one oil change that they are either identical to Mazda's or very close. It's just probably one of the more popular sizes so likely other manufacturers spec this washer. Anyway, if you find a good deal on Hyundai part 21513-23001, go ahead and buy as they will fit Mazda 2.5L! It's best to replace this washer any time you remove the drain plug.

Last edited:
mazdadude gave solid recommendations.
It's best to replace this washer any time you remove the drain plug.
What he said is true.

I've never replaced a crush washer in a good decade and a half on my previous car and have never in Mazda since it was new in 2012 doing oild changes about 2-3 times a year.
Probably not a good thing to do, me bad, bad boy! (drive)

What he said is true.

I've never replaced a crush washer in a good decade and a half on my previous car and have never in Mazda since it was new in 2012 doing oild changes about 2-3 times a year.
Probably not a good thing to do, me bad, bad boy! (drive)

I actually don't replace those washers every time -- me bad, too! -- but should. I did the last time I changed oil. :)

I tried doing it myself on this 2013 model and failed.
I could not jack it up properly on the front - so went to the side to jack it up - it was hard, perhaps my 2.5 ton jack is not good enough. I could not crawl under nor see the bolt.

Youtube videos are not clearly showing the location - mine seems to have a splash cover almost everywhere - but videos shows otherwise. Gave up. Previously I asked for a video but no luck.

OK I got it done at a shop using Mobil 1 0w20, new wix filter and washer.
Given I plan on driving less than 5k in 12months, when should be my next service? Thanks

OK I got it done at a shop using Mobil 1 0w20, new wix filter and washer.
Given I plan on driving less than 5k in 12months, when should be my next service? Thanks

In my opinion, you should be ok for another year, esp. if the M1 oil you used was of the Extended Performance variety. Even with M1 Advance Fuel Economy 5k/12 month should be just fine. If you are afraid of one-year interval for whatever reason, then you could perhaps cut it to 6-9 months. It's not much fun changing oil in the winter but you're in Northern California, right? So no biggie. :)

And I've never jacked up my 5 for oil changes - I use ramps. I prefer that over any other option. Same for the transmission fluid service.

Back