Flashing red key icon on dash?

taimysho0

:
mazda cx5
I have an 04 Mazda 6S and for the last week and a half a new issue has occurred where my car randomly decides to not want to start (no turning over). There is a red flashing key icon on the dash. The first time it happened, I waited a few days and was able to start the car (the flashing key icon disappeared after i put key in). I took it to a shop and all mechanicals are fine (starter, battery, alternator, etc).

Today, it happened again. I was driving for 2 mins and the dash started flickering and the motor turned off. I had to wait 2 hours before the car could start again. Any idea what issue may be? I've searched some threads and there are similar issues where the trunk antenna was malfunctioned and dealer replaced it. Since my car has 140k miles and 2006 I dont think there is warranty but if anyone knows the part number for this antenna, please let me know :)

By the way, both times the issue happened I was stranded and had to call tow truck company.

If it was just the transponder, that shouldn't kill the engine, just stop it from starting. I'd begin to suspect the ignition switch itself.

Back