Mazda 5 generations - worth getting the newer one?

n8_

:
mazda
I can't find a rundown of the first gen vs. second gen Mazda5. This would be a car for my wife & kid. Is the 2nd gen significantly safer? I just test drove a 2nd gen and liked it pretty well. Just curious if there are any downsides besides being slightly older. I sorta like the look of the 2nd gen despite it appearing to be kinda controversial.

I bought my second gen new in 2011

Just passed 102k miles

Aside from oil changes it wasn*t needing anything till about 80k Miles

Had to replace all shocks then (leaking) and 2 door lock actuators

I plan to keep mine till 150k miles which is two more years at which point will replace with a Honda/Toyota product

Even though the vehicle was cheap and cost me $21k new, I am tired of the poor quality, lack of NVH, poor mpg for what it is, and lack of storage when third row is up

I don't know about saftey, but the newer generation has better gear ratios and more engine power as well as the Nagare styling which is awesome.

I can't find a rundown of the first gen vs. second gen Mazda5. This would be a car for my wife & kid. Is the 2nd gen significantly safer? I just test drove a 2nd gen and liked it pretty well. Just curious if there are any downsides besides being slightly older. I sorta like the look of the 2nd gen despite it appearing to be kinda controversial.
Same safety features. Just like any mfg, the newer car will have updated/revised components; the newer the car the more reliable it is (generally speaking). If you like the appearance, go for the newer one. I personally think the '09 GT is the cream of the Mazda 5 crop. Whatever year you choose, save for the GT trim! thank me later :)

I don't know about saftey, but the newer generation has better gear ratios and more engine power as well as the Nagare styling which is awesome.
I guess this depends on your definition of "newer". AFAIK, '08-'15 have the same 5 sp auto. The 06-07 has a 4sp auto. Styling thing is subjective but I can say Mazda killed Nagare very quickly (ended sometime 2010).

Last edited:
Back