2018 GT - Brakes after 16k?

18cx9gt

:
2108 C-X9 GT
I have an 18 CX-9 GT and after 16k miles, I am hearing squeals and slight vibration when braking. This seems way to soon to me. I have scheduled an apt at dealer to have them checked but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem or something similar?

I am not a 2 footed driver nor do I excessively brake.

A squeal can come from two causes. If the steel backing plates of the pads are vibrating against the caliper we hear a squeal. This can be fixed with cleaning and a suitable lube or sound damping product. Another cause is a squealer built into some pads when the wear is getting close to the limit.

Vibration, brake judder, is usually caused by an uneven deposit of pad material on the rotor. Rotors don't warp. This can be fixed by removing the uneven build up of pad material by sandpapering the rotor or turning the rotor. Another cause is a sticky caliper fixed by cleaning and lube.

2 footed driving is highly recommended as long as one does not rest the left foot on the brake pedal while the right foot is pressing on the gas pedal.

If this is worth fixing, try for a warranty repair. If the dealer tells you that you need an expensive brake job, get prices at local independent shops. Require any shop to show you the worn parts and why you need to buy new parts. Even if you don't now know what you're looking at, after they show you, you will know. Expect some (all?) of the shops to over sell you on parts you do not need.

I hear squeal way earlier than you

Same here on my 16 GT. Took it to the dealership and let them hear the squeal. After a couple attempts to fix by cleaning, the squeal still came back. Finally, the dealership contacted Mazda Corporate and they agreed to replace with a new set of brake pads + rotors.

The squeal still comes and goes but not as bad as it was.

Had some squealing on our 2017 GT at 12k miles. Removed pads which had over 80% of pad left.
Lubed everything and now they are quiet. Looked like pad was rubbing on the stainless hardware.

Have had my '17 Sig trim for 1.5yrs already and no such issues with brakes...my mileage is on the low side though (only 10K miles)

2 footed driving is highly recommended as long as one does not rest the left foot on the brake pedal while the right foot is pressing on the gas pedal.

This is the first time I've seen anyone advocate for two-foot driving. Conventional wisdom says - hell no.

Had some squealing on our 2017 GT at 12k miles. Removed pads which had over 80% of pad left.
Lubed everything and now they are quiet. Looked like pad was rubbing on the stainless hardware.

did the dealer cover this? or do you have to pay for it yourself? thanks

Sorry, but no, just no.
There is nothing more irritating than driving behind somebody who has their left foot on the brake pedal.
Either the brake lights are on all the time, or they constantly flicker with every bump in the road (as the drivers left foot moves with every bump).
I don't care how careful you say you are not to depress the brake pedal while driving, but if your left foot is there, you'll activate that brake light at some point or other, pissing off the driver behind you.

did the dealer cover this? or do you have to pay for it yourself? thanks

I lubed the brakes myself, took about an hour. Just wanted to see what was going on with my own eyes.
I would assume that dealer would cover it, however they may consider it brake maintainence.

So dealer checked on Friday and wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Said brakes were fine and no abnormal wear or warped rotors.

That being said, I still hear it. But I figure I took it in and they now have notes in their system for it.

Ill have to look into lubing them like Zoom49 mentioned. I have never heard of that nor done that on any of my other vehicles before.

There are multiple brands of disc brake caliper lube for the metal-to-metal moving parts of the caliper & pad backing plate. Look especially for any points that are shiny from rubbing together.
20353.jpg

I lubed the brakes myself, took about an hour. Just wanted to see what was going on with my own eyes.
I would assume that dealer would cover it, however they may consider it brake maintainence.

Thanks, you're right. Called a dealer to schedule an appointment, and was told that it's not covered, since it's been 15k, and it falls normal tear and wear.

So dealer checked on Friday and wasn't able to reproduce the issue. Said brakes were fine and no abnormal wear or warped rotors.

Hello 18cx9gt,

Precious few dealers are going to have much desire or motivation for solving this problem for you. This is the unfortunately state of affairs involving most Dealer Networks nationwide. Having said that, Brake Maintenance and Replacement is something that you can learn to handle yourself.

My brand new 2018 Signature began squeaking in the front after 15k miles. I've read other CX-9 owners all the way back to 2016 reporting the same.

- I did a routine oil change and tire rotation.
- Acetone cleaned/washed rotors
- Light-Cut polished and buffed rotors
- Acetone cleaned/washed pads
- Entire under-car clean and lube (if it moves it got lubed and/or conditioned with appropriate cleaner)

The squeaking went away. I paid $35 for the first hour of rack time at my local DIY garage (prorated at 15 minute intervals after the first hour) plus fuel getting there and back. I was in control of the entire process. No dealer taking me for granted and lying to me about break squeal after 15k being "normal" for a brand new vehicle. And, no fear of taking my vehicle in with one problem and getting it back with 2-3 other problems that were not present before.

The Brake System on most modern vehicles is not that difficult to understand and maintain yourself. It is my personal opinion that the brakes on the CX-9 are adequate. I plan to make mine exceptional by replacing the OEM system with a Performance Street system including new rotors, pads, calipers and lower (steel braided) hoses - once I do the homework required to make certain the system will work with the CX-9.

fixed!

I went in for an oil change and general checkup and mentioned the brakes again. Was told there is a current TSB for a different brake noise. The service tech offered to investigate under that said TSB and would pull the brakes apart and check for that noise and lube them when they put it back together.
Has been almost a week and no brake noise now.

Back