Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Generation CX-9: Aftermarket oil catch can installation

Registered Member

03 Audi TT, 06 Elise

2nd Generation CX 9 Aftermarket oil catch can installation

Page 5-11 of the rebuild manual covers this - no idea re colour coding, Im afraid - check with dealer?

removed smiley due to embedded link - Chris
    Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 04-01-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

So I just checked the oil catch can again. I've put on over 6000 km since the install. There's still no blowby in the can, but there is an oily film on the inside. This leads me to believe that the location of the can is why it doesn't look like it's catching anything.

Can anyone else who has installed their can in a similar location please tell me if you've been collecting blowby in the can and approximate mileage since installation? Thanks.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Wabbit View Post
    Great video, thanks for posting. He even uses the same oil catch can I'm using (though mine was just an ebay special with no brand name attached to it).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

I'm actually using the same exact small can. I think the reason I'm getting fluids in mine is the filter. The generic eBay can lacks the filtration element and so the vapor would get sucked back into the intake. That's my guess.

I just emptied at 4k with 20ml or so of gunk

I'm actually using the same exact small can. I think the reason I'm getting fluids in mine is the filter. The generic eBay can lacks the filtration element and so the vapor would get sucked back into the intake. That's my guess.

I just emptied at 4k with 20ml or so of gunk
    I was thinking that too, the filter seems to be the biggest notable difference (aside from size). What kind of filter do you have on yours? Would you happen to have any pics?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

I'm referring to the bronze micron filter that comes with the can. I think that's what traps the vapor from exiting.

I'm referring to the bronze micron filter that comes with the can. I think that's what traps the vapor from exiting.
    Right, so your can came with a filter, while mine didn't. Our cans are basically the same aside from the filter. I guess I'm now eating my words from my original posts, lol! I'll add some filter media to the catch can and see what happens (should be able to get some 50 micron bronze or stainless steel screens locally).

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

Is the Mishimoto MMBCC-MSTWO-BK Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can, $106 on Amazon, the one to use? It has the sintered bronze filter.
    https://www.mishimoto.com/compact-ba...an-2-port.html

Does the size fit: 8.3 x 8.3 x 12.1 inches

Is there room on our cars for the optional bottom drain hose? Is there any point to this on our engines?

Quote Originally Posted by PTguy View Post
    Is the Mishimoto MMBCC-MSTWO-BK Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can, $106 on Amazon, the one to use? It has the sintered bronze filter.
    https://www.mishimoto.com/compact-ba...an-2-port.html

Does the size fit: 8.3 x 8.3 x 12.1 inches

Is there room on our cars for the optional bottom drain hose? Is there any point to this on our engines?
    The dimensions you posted aren't for the can, are they? That seems way too big. Maybe those are the packaging dimensions?

There should be room in the engine bay for the optional drain hose to run down to the plastic underbody shielding, but I think you might have to drill a hole in the shielding for the hose to run through for easy access. At my mounting location, I just pop the fuse cover off and I can unscrew the bottom of the can to empty/check it (or I can just check the dipstick).

I honestly think a mod like this isn't really "necessary", but a lot of it depends on your style of driving and your daily commute. The PCV valve and OEM oil separator do a good enough job on their own, but on a DI engine, carbon build-up is something that will eventually need to be addressed. The oil catch can just delays/lengthens the period between having to do a cleaning. I've read that if you don't really push the car, and your commutes are so short that the engine never gets to operating temps, the amount of oil blow by that settles on the intake valves is higher and just cakes on there. If that's what your commutes are like, I would definitely invest in an oil catch can. My IS250 had a DI engine and I never had any symptoms of carbon build up after 135,000 kms, but I had a 40-50 km round trip commute that gave me plenty of time to warm the engine up and provided some opportunities to let the car stretch its legs a bit. I have a similar commute with the CX-9, but I chose to do this mod anyway as a preventative measure.
    Last edited by sm1ke; 04-20-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 Signature

I've just swapped out my catch can (the same one as sm1ke without the bronze filter) with one similar to silly wabbit with a bronze filter and bigger baffle. I'll see if it actually makes a difference and start catching oil after a few thousand of miles.

[IMG]oilcatchwithfilter
    Last edited by Cx-9 Guy; 04-25-2019 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cx-9 Guy View Post
    I've just swapped out my catch can (the same one as sm1ke without the bronze filter) with one similar to silly wabbit with a bronze filter and bigger baffle. I'll see if it actually makes a difference and start catching oil after a few thousand of miles.

[IMG]oilcatchwithfilter
    Keep us posted! Did you catch any blow-by with the old can?

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 Signature

After 4k miles it was almost bone dry with the original catch can. Maybe a slight oil film but not enough to even bother wiping the inside before putting it away. Either the OEM oil separator is doing a very good job or the old catch can wasn't doing anything.

Got an update for y'all..

So I ordered some filter material off of eBay back in mid-April. Finally got the material yesterday, so I set about making my own filter.

I chose to use the existing baffle inside the can and add some filters to it. This way, it's located in the same spot as the Mishimoto can shown here:

I don't have a baffle plate like the Mishimoto. Instead I'm using a small amount of stainless steel wool (see the original post).

I was unsure of how many layers of filtration to add, so I figured I'd start with 3 screens and see how things go.

This helpful article from Mishimoto states that they used a 50 micron bronze filter, so I made sure I ordered 50 micron stainless steel mesh.

Here's a shot of the 50 micron stainless steel mesh.

And here's a shot of the baffle portion removed from the can. In this photo, I sized the mesh to the opening and cut it to fit, then mixed up a bit of JB Weld to secure it to the baffle.

NOTE: If you're doing what I'm doing, make sure you secure the filter screens with JB Weld or something similar. This helps to ensure that there is no risk of the mesh coming loose and being sucked into the intake manifold.

And a shot of the screens attached inside the baffle.

I haven't reinstalled the baffle yet because JB Weld takes about 15 hours to harden completely. I intend to wait at least 24 hours to ensure that the epoxy has bonded and hardened completely before reinstallation. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the catch can for the next few tanks of gas and keep you guys posted with the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast