Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Aftermarket oil catch can installation

I'm actually using the same exact small can. I think the reason I'm getting fluids in mine is the filter. The generic eBay can lacks the filtration element and so the vapor would get sucked back into the intake. That's my guess.

I just emptied at 4k with 20ml or so of gunk

I'm actually using the same exact small can. I think the reason I'm getting fluids in mine is the filter. The generic eBay can lacks the filtration element and so the vapor would get sucked back into the intake. That's my guess.

I just emptied at 4k with 20ml or so of gunk

I was thinking that too, the filter seems to be the biggest notable difference (aside from size). What kind of filter do you have on yours? Would you happen to have any pics?

I'm referring to the bronze micron filter that comes with the can. I think that's what traps the vapor from exiting.

I'm referring to the bronze micron filter that comes with the can. I think that's what traps the vapor from exiting.

Right, so your can came with a filter, while mine didn't. Our cans are basically the same aside from the filter. I guess I'm now eating my words from my original posts, lol! I'll add some filter media to the catch can and see what happens (should be able to get some 50 micron bronze or stainless steel screens locally).

Is the Mishimoto MMBCC-MSTWO-BK Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can, $106 on Amazon, the one to use? It has the sintered bronze filter.
https://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baffled-oil-catch-can-2-port.html

Does the size fit: 8.3 x 8.3 x 12.1 inches

Is there room on our cars for the optional bottom drain hose? Is there any point to this on our engines?

The dimensions you posted aren't for the can, are they? That seems way too big. Maybe those are the packaging dimensions?

There should be room in the engine bay for the optional drain hose to run down to the plastic underbody shielding, but I think you might have to drill a hole in the shielding for the hose to run through for easy access. At my mounting location, I just pop the fuse cover off and I can unscrew the bottom of the can to empty/check it (or I can just check the dipstick).

I honestly think a mod like this isn't really "necessary", but a lot of it depends on your style of driving and your daily commute. The PCV valve and OEM oil separator do a good enough job on their own, but on a DI engine, carbon build-up is something that will eventually need to be addressed. The oil catch can just delays/lengthens the period between having to do a cleaning. I've read that if you don't really push the car, and your commutes are so short that the engine never gets to operating temps, the amount of oil blow by that settles on the intake valves is higher and just cakes on there. If that's what your commutes are like, I would definitely invest in an oil catch can. My IS250 had a DI engine and I never had any symptoms of carbon build up after 135,000 kms, but I had a 40-50 km round trip commute that gave me plenty of time to warm the engine up and provided some opportunities to let the car stretch its legs a bit. I have a similar commute with the CX-9, but I chose to do this mod anyway as a preventative measure.

Last edited:
I've just swapped out my catch can (the same one as sm1ke without the bronze filter) with one similar to silly wabbit with a bronze filter and bigger baffle. I'll see if it actually makes a difference and start catching oil after a few thousand of miles.

a><br

Last edited:
I've just swapped out my catch can (the same one as sm1ke without the bronze filter) with one similar to silly wabbit with a bronze filter and bigger baffle. I'll see if it actually makes a difference and start catching oil after a few thousand of miles.

a><br

Keep us posted! Did you catch any blow-by with the old can?

After 4k miles it was almost bone dry with the original catch can. Maybe a slight oil film but not enough to even bother wiping the inside before putting it away. Either the OEM oil separator is doing a very good job or the old catch can wasn't doing anything.

Got an update for y'all..

So I ordered some filter material off of eBay back in mid-April. Finally got the material yesterday, so I set about making my own filter.

I chose to use the existing baffle inside the can and add some filters to it. This way, it's located in the same spot as the Mishimoto can shown here:

Prototype-Top-+-Fabricated-Baffle-1.jpg

I don't have a baffle plate like the Mishimoto. Instead I'm using a small amount of stainless steel wool (see the original post).

I was unsure of how many layers of filtration to add, so I figured I'd start with 3 screens and see how things go.

This helpful article from Mishimoto states that they used a 50 micron bronze filter, so I made sure I ordered 50 micron stainless steel mesh.

Here's a shot of the 50 micron stainless steel mesh.

attachment.php

And here's a shot of the baffle portion removed from the can. In this photo, I sized the mesh to the opening and cut it to fit, then mixed up a bit of JB Weld to secure it to the baffle.

attachment.php

NOTE: If you're doing what I'm doing, make sure you secure the filter screens with JB Weld or something similar. This helps to ensure that there is no risk of the mesh coming loose and being sucked into the intake manifold.

And a shot of the screens attached inside the baffle.

attachment.php

I haven't reinstalled the baffle yet because JB Weld takes about 15 hours to harden completely. I intend to wait at least 24 hours to ensure that the epoxy has bonded and hardened completely before reinstallation. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the catch can for the next few tanks of gas and keep you guys posted with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_214141.jpg
    IMG_20190530_214141.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 759
  • IMG_20190530_213709.jpg
    IMG_20190530_213709.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_20190530_213847.jpg
    IMG_20190530_213847.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 724
Any updates after the install? :)

Just checked it a few mins ago. I've gone through at least 3 tanks of gas now. I haven't touched it since reinstalling the baffle at the end of May.

Still bone dry. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I have to wonder if I've plumbed the can incorrectly, or if the spot I've mounted the can plays some part. Chris_Top_Her suggested mounting the can lower in the engine bay, but there's nowhere to mount it so that I've got easy access from under the hood. I may just have to mount it lower and access it from underneath when I need to check/dump it.

SW, could you take a look at how I've plumbed my can on the first page and let me know if I made a mistake somewhere?

Your plumbing seems fine to me. Have you try removing the hose to see if it's dry inside too? My can is to the left of the upper coolant hose and the plumbing in and out are about 12". I get a constant 20ml every 4k

Like Sm1ke, I also checked on my different catch can install and with the same result. It was bone dry with a hint of oil smell. My mounting point is next to the fuse box which is higher than the engine. I'm wondering if the blowby has enough force to make it through the hose and all the way up to the catch can.

Like Sm1ke, I also checked on my different catch can install and with the same result. It was bone dry with a hint of oil smell. My mounting point is next to the fuse box which is higher than the engine. I'm wondering if the blowby has enough force to make it through the hose and all the way up to the catch can.

Yes, you've mentioned the location as a possible problem before and it seems that that might be the case. I think that I just didn't bother to try a different mounting spot because I read a paper that someone wrote on oil catch cans, and in it they stated that having the catch can mounted higher than the engine was best. At this point, I think I'm going to try temporarily mounting it to where Silly Wabbit has his can mounted, just to see if I get anything. I'll post when I make the switch, what my mileage is, and an eventual update when I find some time to pop the hood. Cheers fellas!

Hi sm1ke, I wanted to installed a OCC on my KE Cx5 diesel and found you post. Is your can still empty? Cheers

Hi, yes it was still empty at the time, but I have just recently moved the location. Here is a photo of where I have relocated the catch can. Please note that I have a Corksport intake installed, so this mounting solution may not work for you. If I did not mount it here, I would have mounted it on the large coolant hose in front of the engine. I'm hoping the new location addresses the issue, but I will report back in 1000-2000 kms.

attachment.php

Also, I'm not sure how similar the diesel engine is to the 2.5 Turbo, so please keep that in mind.

Attachments

• IMG_20190802_233135.jpg
    IMG_20190802_233135.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,617
attachment.php

Ive see people putting the catch can hose there, not the PCV. It does a good job tho. I just bought the can, will install it this weekend and get you updated.

attachment.php

Ive see people putting the catch can hose there, not the PCV. It does a good job tho. I just bought the can, will install it this weekend and get you updated.

That ADD W1 can is basically the same can that I have, it just has slightly different labeling and a brand name. Do you know what ports the lines are connected to?

Also, what intake elbow is that? Looks sharp.

Hi, yes it was still empty at the time, but I have just recently moved the location. Here is a photo of where I have relocated the catch can. Please note that I have a Corksport intake installed, so this mounting solution may not work for you. If I did not mount it here, I would have mounted it on the large coolant hose in front of the engine. I'm hoping the new location addresses the issue, but I will report back in 1000-2000 kms.

Just to follow up on this, it has been 4000 km since relocating the OCC. I just checked it and it is still dry. I'm going to trim the tubing to see if that makes any difference, but I'm doubtful that it will.

Back