Creaking sound while turning, grinding sound at low speeds from driver wheel

yloo

:
Mazda CX-9
Hoping someone can help...

I have a 2007 Cx-9 with about 170k miles on it. About 5k miles ago I noticed a creaking sound almost like a bad mattress coming from the driver's wheel hub when making a sharp right at low speeds under 5mph (weight shifting to the left side). I ignored this until recently...

1.) Now, when the car is going straight, there is almost a rubbing grinding sound (1 grind/rotation). This is only noticeable at low speeds and softens after going above 30mph.
2.) Now when i make sharp turns (right or left) at low speeds, there is also a creaking sound.

The creaking sound can be replicated by giving brake torque by giving some gas. However what is strange is the clicking sound appears to be coming from the center wheel itself of a joint.

I had a reputable mechanic who spent about 2 hours of time looking at the car and he could not figure it out. He removed the pads, caliper and rotor to look for anything that was rubbing together and he even bent/grinded a bit of the heat shield. He also inspected the boots, joints and tested play on the wheel and indicated that everything looked in good condition. He also rotated the tire around but the noise persisted. He ended up not charging me because he could not figure it out.

Has anyone seen this before? Any help would be appreciated.

Back