Only OEM windshield for now.

Question for the group: I just got a rock chip on my 2017 GT (no package, no heads up display). Do you guys know if the car has the heated windshield wiper glass? I'm going through Safelite quote and it comes up at $520. I assume Mazda will not cover this even though we bough the car just few months ago and have 4k miles on it.

No, but if you don't have it on your insurance coverage, you're not right. It's like $3/mo more, and pays for glass 100%. MORE than worth it.

Some of the 17/18's have heated glass.

And yes, unfortunately a lot of 17+ Mazda's have backorderd windshields.

If anyone is in that situation, just know that even if the dealer tells you that none are available in any North American warehouse, once they place the order you'll probably get one with a couple weeks.
Even though Mazda's system tells them they are backordered, once the order is placed Mazda will make one available and ship it to the dealer.

The OEM glass on my '15 GT got cracked a few weeks ago by the world's tiniest pebble (honestly don't think it would have chipped any other glass...). Comprehensive insurance plan thru Allstate got Safelite to replace it with a Fuyao aftermarket windshield, $50, replaced in my garage. Pretty happy with it so far!

The OEM glass on my '15 GT got cracked a few weeks ago by the world's tiniest pebble (honestly don't think it would have chipped any other glass...). Comprehensive insurance plan thru Allstate got Safelite to replace it with a Fuyao aftermarket windshield, $50, replaced in my garage. Pretty happy with it so far!

Got a Fuyao windshield on the CX-5 for 1 1/2 years now. Holding up.

Pretty sure he's referring to Window Tint.

Yep, any tint installer should have access to the clear tint that is used to lower in-cabin temps by blocking UV. One such product is called Llumar Air Blue 80 or 90.

Yep, any tint installer should have access to the clear tint that is used to lower in-cabin temps by blocking UV. One such product is called Llumar Air Blue 80 or 90.

My experience with the ceramic tint on the windshield of my old Acura TLX was that there was too much halo/glare from oncoming lights, traffic and street lights at night. I had it removed after 2 weeks. My friend had his Tesla S done and there were no problems.

I am considering putting in my CX-5

Last edited:
My experience with the ceramic tint on the windshield of my old Acura TLX was that there was too much halo/glare from oncoming lights, traffic and street lights at night. I had it removed after 2 weeks. My friend had his Tesla S done and there were no problems.

I am considering putting in my CX-5

I have Suntek Carbon XP 80 on my Mazda6....imho it depends on the installer. That goes for tint in general. My passengers don't believe me that my windshield is even tinted. Hard to tell. Its even lighter than the pic below. The difference in heat blockage is significant.

suntek-carbon-xp-(cxp)-80.jpg

I just drove away from Safelite in Missouri. The windshield is on back order after mine cracked (and continues to crack) after a rock chip. This will cost me $566, when a windshield becomes available. This could take weeks though.

My 16 has about three hits on it now. A couple of streaks along the right side that I couldnt glue quick enough.

I try to always carry a RainX kit. I think they have the best glue. If you glue a star right away it works best. If you wait til you get to a shop it can and usually will spread.

I kind of think one of them was spontaneous or due to a defect but I wonder if the newer OEM windshields are thicker?

⋯ I kind of think one of them was spontaneous or due to a defect but I wonder if the newer OEM windshields are thicker?
Yeah the windshield on newer gen-2 CX-5 is definitely a bit thicker due to the use of acoustic laminated glass. But this doesnt mean itd be stronger against rock-hit.

driving in Arizona means going through windshields faster than tires + so many people drive huge work pickup trucks with large tires and throw small stones everywhere on the city highways.
I also keep RainX chip repair at hand.

To me it seems the 2nd gen windshield is very fragile too. I usually have to repair at least 1 chip every other month.

My CX5 GT 2017 had a windshield replacement in the just less than a year. The glass was replaced and done by Safelite.

Made in USA Pilkington windshield here. OEM supplier for Lexus and others. In Arizona Insurance companies are required to offer windshield coverage but not include it to coverage :(. It's a groovy windshield to rock (no pun intended) :)

408791d1493834386-original-or-aftermarket-windshield-pilkington.jpg

I've replaced two windshields on my GTR since buying it last Feb. The first was in March and the second two weeks ago. Safelite could not find a windshield in stock anywhere and told me they were on national backorder. I called the dealer and they found one in 10 minutes. They recommended a mobile service and it was replaced two days later.

I've replaced two windshields on my GTR since buying it last Feb. The first was in March and the second two weeks ago. Safelite could not find a windshield in stock anywhere and told me they were on national backorder. I called the dealer and they found one in 10 minutes. They recommended a mobile service and it was replaced two days later.

Were they OEM replacements each time?

Have the wiper heaters, rain sensors and cameras been working as expected since the replacements?

I have a star the size of a quarter that Im not sure will make it to the shop without cracking. although I did already drive 30 miles back from the mountain with it.

Back