Gonna sell the 2009 MZ5 Sport Manual, anyone interested?

phunky.buddha

Booga Booga?
:
DFW TX
:
No mo MZ5 want MX5
Hey folks, I'll post a proper sale thread once it's vacuumed and washed, but I thought I'd give a little notice beforehand. This is the car that was seen here:

That huge suspension install thread I did years ago

mz5_25_75_to_fenders.jpg

bc_mz5_droop_far_800.jpg

mz5_baseline.jpg

^^ ultra healthy. 153hp crank rating from the factory should show about 130whp. 143whp translates up to 168hp crank assuming 15% driveline loss, so this engine is about 10% happy all the time.

So it's mostly stock now, with 146.5k miles on it. Texas owned, so rust free.

Basics: 2009 Mazda 5, sport trim, manual transmission. Grey.
No error codes- will pass inspection in any state without any issues
Clean title, 2 owner car
New OEM brakes all around (less than 1000 miles driven)
New MAF sensor
New front upper strut mounts
New engine mount (rear lower torque mount)
New battery (Dec 2017)
New-ish clutch (replaced at 110k miles, Exedy)

Mods that are still on it and will go with the car:
The nice lightweight NC MX-5 Miata wheels (17x7 +55 17lbs each) wearing 225/50 Kumho 4x with some life left
Full set of 20x Gorilla wheel locks with key
Oil filter conversion using OEM parts, uses MZ3 spin-on filter
K&N drop-in filter
Ceiling mounted DVD player with flip-down screen; player is sketchy but screen and AV input work
HID headlights in the factory projectors, aimed properly- with an extra HID capsule
Topspeed upper rear adjustable camber arms
Front strut towers properly cut for camber plate clearance

The bads:
The sides of the damn front bumper don't stay in place very well. Common MZ5 problem.
Scratches and dings from almost 150k of daily driving, but no wrecks
AC clutch is dead. Complete AC system was replaced end to end in April 2015, but these AC clutches suck. Blew cold when the clutch gave up.
Front passenger clunks a bit, passenger LCA probably needs to be replaced. Everything else that could clunk has been swapped or replaced.

Forum bonus:
If anyone on here buys it, I'll throw in a dash kit, Pioneer AVH-X2600BT head unit, the dash wiring, and an Axxess steering wheel controller. That's gotta be worth $200-300ish on the used market on its own.
Pioneer's AVH-X2600BT info page

Anyone interested? My wife wanted something new... car is still a great runner, just needs a little wrench time. More pics once my brats vacuum it out and burn all the Barbies. KBB is putting a "fair" condition one at $3200 but listings are holding at $6000+, so I'm guessing I could ask a firm $2k and hope to get it locally? Not sure. What do you think it's worth? I almost wish I had someone local to me that could swap wheels so I don't have to sell them to someone that doesn't understand the benefits of the Miata wheels.

That's a very honest price! Should run a compression test to show it is holding pressure.

But it's going to be hard to sell a TX car without working AC!.. Do you have a pressure issue or is it just the AC clutch frozen? My clutch squeals for a few seconds when I turn on AC, I'm certain my bearings are worn - consequence of bearing exposed down low and not having the splash shield for a long time.

If it's frozen clutch bearing, you can replaced it.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Or take a loaner tool and take out the clutch assembly and send it to these people to have it recondition. Way cheaper then having to replace the whole compressor AND having to evac+recharge the freon.
https://www.polarbearinc.com/index.cfm/category/43/ac-clutches--parts.htm

Good luck!

Is that the right bearing?

Clutch won't engage at all now... it was intermittent a few weeks ago, like cycling at machine gun speed- 5-6 clicks a second when it would try to engage- but then starting to blow cold when the clutch does lock on. I thought it might be the relay since it was practically the only part that wasn't replaced 3 years ago, but swapping it didn't change anything. I've had this problem before and just don't want to deal with it now, but a 5 with working AC would easily catch 5-6k here. Ugh. Partly why I'd rather just try to get 2k for it and sell the mods off separately, but I don't know who would want those pieces either.

So I might be interested in this, can you PM your zip code and would you be willing to drive the car to a walmart or some business parking lot to have the transported? Makes things much cheaper for me

So I might be interested in this, can you PM your zip code and would you be willing to drive the car to a walmart or some business parking lot to have the transported? Makes things much cheaper for me

Yeah, can definitely do that. I'm still going to take one more stab at getting the AC to work though, so there's still a chance to list it locally. Zip code is 76021. Sorry for the late response- been pretty busy this week!

Spent some of extra cash this weekend on RX8 parts, but ill check on the tow.

So the BCs and MS3 brakes have been removed?

Been reading some of your posts.

Spent some of extra cash this weekend on RX8 parts, but ill check on the tow.

So the BCs and MS3 brakes have been removed?

Been reading some of your posts.

Yeah, BCs and brakes are off. Brakes have moved on to another friend's 5, BCs are sitting in the garage.

Ok, for now im going to hold off but if anything changes ill let you know. Transport is going to cost me $500-600.

but reading your threads have been premo man, alot of good info.

Had similar plans to this, I part out Speed3s so I was going to go the fusion 2.5 NA route with the MS3 trans. Seen NC Miata guys breaking 200whp NA which would be a blast for the family hauler.

Fusion 2.5? I think 200whp is totally doable with the 2.3L blocks all motor if built properly. No problem holding off- if I'm lucky the AC will work in two weeks and I can list locally for a lot more. :) Let me know if you change your mind though!

Latest posts

Back