2002 P5 roof rack

mattmcphe

:
Mazda Protege 5
I was asked by a guy today if I would be willing to sell my roof rack. He has a P5 without it and has been looking but not able to find one. I'm considering selling it but have no idea how much it'd be worth or how much to charge. Anybody have any knowledge on this? Is it dumb to sell, should I keep it on?
Thanks

i bought my cross bars for $100 without the plastic covers.

I like the look of it with them on personally but if yo dont use them often and this other person seems to want to use them Id sell it to them for around $100.

You know you have to remove your headliner to remove the roof rack.
It sounds pretty involved.

^ Per PCB, it does look involved. There are other threads on this subject in the forum with more detail; just search for "roof rack." NB: You may need the parts off the other car (two-way swap) and both of you would perhaps have to drop the headliner. You could even be risking water leakage into both vehicles if you don't put everything back together right. Someone else can speak to my concerns here and maybe talk me in off the ledge. I removed my crossbars to update the look of the car (and maybe reduce wind noise/increase gas mileage). I left the somewhat bulky rails in place, but I think they look good:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865442-16-years-later-I-got-one-)-)

I must be missing something, I removed my cross bars without removing the headliner.

Unless the OP also means the rails. I think the rail removal involves dropping the headliner, but just the cross bars does.

To the OP: does the potential buyer want the rails too? or does he still have the rails on his P5?

I just found a crack in the roof rack rails on my P5. I will not be hauling anything up there now. Oh well old sunbaked plastic

Here's a useful link: http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/09-002-03.html
It mentions the maximum weight supported by the rack, 75kg.

DESCRIPTION
If a vehicle was factory equipped with the roof rack side rails, the cross bars can be removed or installed. Please follow the instructions below for removal and installation of the cross bars.

NOTE: The roof rack must be equipped from the factory. The roof rack cannot be installed as an accessory. Mid year 2003 the roof rack cross bars will no longer be installed on the vehicle at the port, they will be shipped in the trunk of the vehicle, to be installed at the "customers discretion".

CAUTION:
All warnings and cautions apply to technicians and customers using these instructions.
This installation requires two persons to avoid damaging the vehicle.
Wear work gloves to prevent hand injuries from sharp edges or tools.
Tighten all bolts evenly from side to side to prevent damage to the roof rack or leaning causing distortion of the rack and making the rack crooked.
Carefully observe all torque specifications.
The maximum load capacity of the roof rack is 75 kg (165 lb) and must be evenly distributed across the entire roof.
The roof rack is not designed for direct loading, special accessory attachments are available from your local Mazda dealer.
When using an accessory kit, always follow all instructions included with the accessory kit.
Because bolts and screws may loosen in use, periodically check torque and tightness of all bolts and screws every 100 km (62 miles).
NOTE: The cross bars can only be installed in a vehicle that came from the factory with the side rails installed.

Latest posts

Back