Rerouting intake duct?

:
2016 cx-9 signature
I was looking under the hood yesterday and looking at how restrictive and bent the intake duct is. Then I saw the giant space that is just right there next to the airbox with easy access to where there is a hole covered by the triangular bezel piece.

Anyone have any idea how to reroute the intake to take air directly from that opening? (After removing the bezel)

I can't give any details but there is a company working on an intake that will fit the new Mazda 6 with the 2.5T. comparing the engine bay of the 6 and the CX-9 They are the same. This company is looking at production in about 3 months. I have had a number of conversations with them and can't wait until it is done and ready to ship.

Just get rid of it? I got a complete airbox assembly off a salvaged CX-9 and drilled holes in the bottom of it (swiss cheesed it). That way I still have a stock box available.
I found that the factory snorkel was far too restrictive. My snorkel was tapered down to approximately one or two inches at the inlet. I was amazed at the horsepower gain just by this simple mod of eliminating the restriction.
Now this is on my 08. Not sure a turbocharged motor is going to respond well or not to something similar, or if it would cause you to throw a code.

Back