Key fob failing?

:
2016 CX5 GT
I notice sometimes the doors do not unlock when I push the button on the handle. A few times I had to use the physical key to open the door. I notice if I bang the key fob it then works. I put the battery in a tester and the digital bar graph on the tester indicated about 75% life left on it. Anyone ever experience this?

Have you tried you spare key fob to rule out any module issues and confirm it is the other fob itself (uhm)

Ill try the other key fob. Its on my wifes keychain and shes off to work before me so Ill have to remember to swap it tonight.

I dont think its a module in the car, because the red light on the fob doesnt blink with a push of the button. If I bang on my coffee tumbler with it, I can get it to work. Nothing seemed loose inside. The battery contacts are bent enough to make contact with the battery.

Make sure there is nothing interfering with the signal. My FOB is notoriously sensitive to the magnet that is in my phone (for the hands free doohickey) and my wallet magnet (that secures my bifold together)

On rare occasion it hasn't worked at all and i have to pull it out of my pocket and use the buttons on the FOB. Annoying but doesn't seem to happen except on dates and when I'm showing the car to a friend

Under $5 for 2 brand new Energizer batteries will resolve the matter...........for a few months to a year.

The red light indicator on the fob: If bright then battery has good range/operational. If dim then will work intermittently. You'd have to tap or re-adjust the battery for it to work. This is an indicator to change battery. Had this issue the past month before I changed my battery.

The fobs are pretty sensitive to voltage changes. Voltage shifts with temperature for example, so on cold mornings it may take a few button presses until the battery warms up in your hand just enough. I find batteries last about 18 months before the voltage drops enough to be unreliable in use. I'm not sure how a battery tester can say you have "75%" left on these kinds of batteries - it's probably just reading voltage and the voltage has dropped enough to be unreliable.

in other words...replace your battery ;)

Just a side note and it is mentioned elsewhere that a 2032 battery will work in the fob. I had plenty of 2032's at home and did not feel like running to the store so I stuck a 2032 in and it snapped together (slightly thicker) and is working great again.

^^ good to know. The stock size tends to sell out quick at my nearest Walmarts.

Here is the battery tester I used. It did illuminate several bars up into the early to low good area.

c5c7230a1bfd0f868b765b8ab3074e13.jpg

I do suspect battery from what you all are saying. I swapped keyfobs with my wifes and havent had an issue since. The red LED is noticeably brighter than the other one. Ill get a battery for the other one. Her 2016 Pathfinder has what most modern cars of this age have.. a color multifunction LCD display in the gauge cluster. Hers actually came up in a yellow box, key fob battery low. It was a good warning because I dont know how to get in or start her car without it. I think I put a CR2032 battery in hers, wheres it calls for a CR2025. For our Mazda, at least we have the pull out physical key, and holding the fob right up to the push to start button at least allows the car to read the RFID tag inside and start up.

If the battery tester doesn't put a load on the battery during the test it really isn't very helpful. Not sure if yours does so it may not be of much help.

For now on I'm using the key fob red light indicator as the key battery tester.

Bright red = good. Dimming = replace soon. Intermittent = replace. Morse Code Intermittent = aliens.

For now on I'm using the key fob red light indicator as the key battery tester.

Bright red = good. Dimming = replace soon. Intermittent = replace. Morse Code Intermittent = aliens.

Back