Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

My thinking on CX-5 ATF change is exactly like you! Except I may do at most 2X due to my laziness. :)

Yeah it's the removing (cleanly) not applying the silicon seal is PITA! But others had said it's a piece of cake ⋯
Yeah consider me nervous about dropping the pan, so I'll stick with drain and fill.

Starting to shop around for the FZ fluid. Surprised a lot of shops like Med Center don't even list it.

My thinking on CX-5 ATF change is exactly like you! Except I may do at most 2X due to my laziness. :)

Yeah it's the removing (cleanly) not applying the silicon seal is PITA! But others had said it's a piece of cake *

They have spray-on stuff to help remove gasket material. That and with a razor blade it should be not difficult at all.

🤔 not sure on the differnve between options 1 and 2. I remember the dealer gave me the bottle starting with 0000. Was cheaper than $15 a bottle though.

Getting the old silicone seal off with a razor blade was ok, it was actually pulling the pan off my focus transmission that was difficult. I thought using a thin flathead for leverage to pop the pan off would be ok, I was mistaken lol!!! Fun lesson on how steel is harder than aluminum. Got it off but didnt care for the mark it left on the block. You live and you learn!

* not sure on the differnve between options 1 and 2. I remember the dealer gave me the bottle starting with 0000. Was cheaper than $15 a bottle though.

Getting the old silicone seal off with a razor blade was ok, it was actually pulling the pan off my focus transmission that was difficult. I thought using a thin flathead for leverage to pop the pan off would be ok, I was mistaken lol!!! Fun lesson on how steel is harder than aluminum. Got it off but didn*t care for the mark it left on the block. You live and you learn!

Always a bad idea to pry it off for chance of gouging mating surfaces. Rubber mallet and a block of wood works pretty good.

Priced around locally and all dealers around here were $14.89 to $14.95 per qt.

Looking at my 2016 order... it was $12.42 quart on Amazon via Avondale Mazda

Not finding any for them anymore.

Looks like around $15 to be the going price these days. May just buy some locally to avoid shipping. The ones on Amazon are closer to $20.

I am seeing a lot of parts number: MEXH-FZ-113E-01 for around $10. Any idea what this is? Mexican value parts FZ perhaps? Weird.

Not finding any for them anymore.

Looks like around $15 to be the going price these days. May just buy some locally to avoid shipping. The ones on Amazon are closer to $20.

I am seeing a lot of parts number: MEXH-FZ-113E-01 for around $10. Any idea what this is? Mexican value parts FZ perhaps? Weird.
Just checked many sites used to sell $10+ and now they're selling $23+ per quart on 0000-FZ-113E-01! Is it because the trade war now is going on?

Not sure about MEXH-FZ-113E-01 as I couldn't find any image of it. But I did see someone mentioned it at Bob is the Oil Guy back in Jan. 2013.

Just checked many sites used to sell $10+ and now they're selling $23+ per quart on 0000-FZ-113E-01! Is it because the trade war now is going on?

Not sure about MEXH-FZ-113E-01 as I couldn't find any image of it. But I did see someone mentioned it at Bob is the Oil Guy back in Jan. 2013.
Weird. Well I guess I will grab locally for $14.89/qt. How many quarts you think I need?

Weird. Well I guess I will grab locally for $14.89/qt. How many quarts you think I need?
Mazda factory service manual says 3.5~5 quarts for drain and fill. This's something I really hate. Honda simply tells me exact 3.1 quarts for ATF drain and fill on my CR-V, no range!

Most people use 4.5~4.7 quarts. So if you plan to do drain-and-fill twice, you need 10 bottles of FZ ATF.

Make sure to measure your ATF level at proper ATF temperature.(122F). Most likely you'll find it's low from factory.

Try to access from bottom side if possible without taking the airbox out.

If you have time, read this thread, especially post #1 by Chris_Top_Her, and post #89 and #98 by tomcat1446:

ATF Drain/Fill

Mazda factory service manual says 3.5~5 quarts for drain and fill. This's something I really hate. Honda simply tells me exact 3.1 quarts for ATF drain and fill on my CR-V, no range!

Most people use 4.5~4.7 quarts. So if you plan to do drain-and-fill twice, you need 10 bottles of FZ ATF.

Make sure to measure your ATF level at proper ATF temperature.(122F). Most likely you'll find it's low from factory.

Try to access from bottom side if possible without taking the airbox out.

If you have time, read this thread, especially post #1 by Chris_Top_Her, and post #89 and #98 by tomcat1446:

ATF Drain/Fill
Thank you!

OK, another stupid question...

I have a pretty basic drain pan I've been using for my oil changes. What are you using for transmission changes, and specifically, what are you using to measure the amount of fluid being drained? It's not like I have an empty oil jug or anything.

OK, another stupid question...

I have a pretty basic drain pan I've been using for my oil changes. What are you using for transmission changes, and specifically, what are you using to measure the amount of fluid being drained? It's not like I have an empty oil jug or anything.
I usually save a couple of empty engine oil quarter bottles for fluid measurement. Or you can get some drain pan with measurement, or large-sized kitchen container with measurement. I'd only get an approximate measurement of drained ATF from the first run which is the baseline, then making some adjustment on ATF level at proper temperature. Taking a read on ATF level before the fluid change is important as it would be a baseline for later measurement. If you plan to make ATF drain and file more than once, nothing needs to be precise until the last drain-and-fill. And re-use the old drain plug washer until the last drain and put the new one on.

Make sure to read 3 Mazda official drain-and-fill documents attached in post #114 of ATF Drain/Fill thread by Anchorman.

Don't know how to on the Android but Chris_Top_Her did it. :) Thanks for adding some photos!

SomeToolsUsed.PNG
attachment.php

saftey1st.PNG
attachment.php

Dual oil change.PNG
attachment.php

4InchFunnel.PNG
attachment.php

4quarts.PNG
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back