Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 153

Thread: Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

  1. #31
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,864

    Arrow Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Where are you guys buying this stuff as I have checked a few Mazda sites and they don't have it.
    I'm usually getting Mazda parts from my Mazda dealer with 20% off from MSRP. Our previous sponsor Med Center Mazda should have it too. Or try mazdastuff.com used by bob ross.

    Quote Originally Posted by bob ross View Post
    Spark plug structure looked identical although there seemed to be some different metal coloring on OEM. I was so mad they sent me NGK, I really didn't look at them much beyond wrapping and shipping back!
    I did not trust myself to drop the pan and seal - so I had a mechanic do it. It took him some time. The fluid looked worn, but not burnt. I can't comment on color.
    I suspect it was under filled from factory. I bought 2 bottle per recommendation on this forum. I chose the more expensive lube since I will not do this same service until 150k and judging how the car was running - that's about the limit. IMO of course.

    Parts breakdown from mazdastuff.com (please note they corrected the spark plug mixup right away)

    0000-77-SG1-QT Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-77-SG1-QT | Lng Life Hyp Gear Oil Sg1
    2 $21.56 $43.12

    PE5R-18-110 Mazda Genuine Part Number PE5R-18-110 | Plug,Spark
    4 $22.88 $91.52

    9956-41-400 Mazda Genuine Part Number 9956-41-400 | Gasket
    2 $0.84 $1.68

    0000-FZ-113E-01 Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-FZ-113E-01 | Atf Type-Fz
    6 $10.72 $64.32

    FZ01-21-500 Mazda Genuine Part Number FZ01-21-500 | Strainer,Oil
    1 $27.56

  2. #32
    Registered Member

    CX5 2.5L AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    6,064
    Quote Originally Posted by LRopka View Post
    Finally got around to the AT drain & refill at 103K miles. Drained fluid looked like strong coffee! Will repeat two more times with about 1K miles in between. Highway driving is about 65% of my miles. Definitely won't wait so long on any future car with "lifetime" fluid. Transmission seems to shift more smoothly, but could just be me. Wasn't experiencing any issues previously just trying to get the most miles on this vehicle as possible.
    You are case study 1, then. Please keep us updated! I wish you'd sent a sample for analysis.

  3. #33
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    You are case study 1, then. Please keep us updated! I wish you'd sent a sample for analysis.
    ...and if it fails within the next year, you're going to attribute it to fluid change??

  4. #34
    Registered Member

    CX5 2.5L AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    6,064
    Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    ...and if it fails within the next year, you're going to attribute it to fluid change??
    No, in the next few thousand miles, and yes, because it was just fine before he messed with it.

  5. #35
    Registered Member

    2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    You are case study 1, then. Please keep us updated! I wish you'd sent a sample for analysis.
    Lol, I donít think we can make you happy Un! I shared my ATF Blackstone analysis showing that the viscosity had fallen out of spec, and was mildly flamed for doing the service at all 🤣

  6. #36
    Registered Member

    16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    Lol, I don*t think we can make you happy Un! I shared my ATF Blackstone analysis showing that the viscosity had fallen out of spec, and was mildly flamed for doing the service at all ��
    What mileage was this done at?

  7. #37
    Registered Member

    2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    76
    51k, see this thread first post if you want to see the Blackstone analysis.

    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123864201-51-000-Mile-Transmission-Fluid-(ATF)-Analysis-Results

    Fantastic fluid, but I prefer the piece of mind in changing it every 50k if thatís how much it took to thin it out a smidge below spec. Iíll go with their guess, must be Florida heat.
    Last edited by ruthrj; 08-20-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Forgot link

  8. #38
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    51k, see this thread first post if you want to see the Blackstone analysis.

    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...alysis-Results

    Fantastic fluid, but I prefer the piece of mind in changing it every 50k if that*s how much it took to thin it out a smidge below spec. I*ll go with their guess, must be Florida heat.
    I'm at 70k miles, fast approaching 71k.

    I'm going to go ahead and look at doing some drain/fills. Don't really feel comfortable dropping the pan and applying the new gasket myself, but figured at least getting some new fluid in there should be a good idea. What like 2 or 3 drain/fills?

  9. #39
    Registered Member

    2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    I'm at 70k miles, fast approaching 71k.

    I'm going to go ahead and look at doing some drain/fills. Don't really feel comfortable dropping the pan and applying the new gasket myself, but figured at least getting some new fluid in there should be a good idea. What like 2 or 3 drain/fills?
    From what Iíve read, 1 should be enough to restore ATF viscosity. First drain was almost brown, didnít look blue. Color isnít necessarily an indicator of quality as we know, but it drained pretty dark (but blue this time!) when doing the second fill. 2 is probably fine. I did 3 even though that could admittedly be overkill for a ďlifetimeĒ fluid, but gives you the best overall mix of new to old ATF for your effort. A 4th drain and fill adds only a marginal amount of new to old.

    I wouldnít drop the pan under 100k and I donít blame you for not wanting to. Pans stuck to a vehicle with silicone are a PITA to remove. I marred the transmission block a little when I dropped the pan to do a drain and fill on my 05 Focus years ago.
    Last edited by ruthrj; 08-20-2018 at 11:01 AM.

  10. #40
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,864

    Arrow Transmission fluid change without fi

    Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    From what Iíve read, 1 should be enough to restore ATF viscosity. First drain was almost brown, didnít look blue. Color isnít necessarily an indicator of quality as we know, but it drained pretty dark (but blue this time!) when doing the second fill. 2 is probably fine. I did 3 even though that could admittedly be overkill for a ďlifetimeĒ fluid, but gives you the best overall mix of new to old ATF for your effort. A 4th drain and fill adds only a marginal amount of new to old.

    I wouldnít drop the pan under 100k and I donít blame you for not wanting to. Pans stuck to a vehicle with silicone are a PITA to remove. I marred the transmission block a little when I dropped the pan to do a drain and fill on my 05 Focus years ago.
    My thinking on CX-5 ATF change is exactly like you! Except I may do at most 2X due to my laziness.

    Yeah it's the removing (cleanly) not applying the silicon seal is PITA! But others had said it's a piece of cake ⋯

  11. #41
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    My thinking on CX-5 ATF change is exactly like you! Except I may do at most 2X due to my laziness.

    Yeah it's the removing (cleanly) not applying the silicon seal is PITA! But others had said it's a piece of cake ⋯
    Yeah consider me nervous about dropping the pan, so I'll stick with drain and fill.

    Starting to shop around for the FZ fluid. Surprised a lot of shops like Med Center don't even list it.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  12. #42
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,572
    So found these. What's the difference between these??? Both found on Mazdastuff

    $10.67 Option 1

    $14.15 Option 2

  13. #43
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    My thinking on CX-5 ATF change is exactly like you! Except I may do at most 2X due to my laziness.

    Yeah it's the removing (cleanly) not applying the silicon seal is PITA! But others had said it's a piece of cake *
    They have spray-on stuff to help remove gasket material. That and with a razor blade it should be not difficult at all.

  14. #44
    Registered Member

    2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    76
    🤔 not sure on the differnve between options 1 and 2. I remember the dealer gave me the bottle starting with 0000. Was cheaper than $15 a bottle though.

    Getting the old silicone seal off with a razor blade was ok, it was actually pulling the pan off my focus transmission that was difficult. I thought using a thin flathead for leverage to pop the pan off would be ok, I was mistaken lol!!! Fun lesson on how steel is harder than aluminum. Got it off but didnít care for the mark it left on the block. You live and you learn!

  15. #45
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,128
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    * not sure on the differnve between options 1 and 2. I remember the dealer gave me the bottle starting with 0000. Was cheaper than $15 a bottle though.

    Getting the old silicone seal off with a razor blade was ok, it was actually pulling the pan off my focus transmission that was difficult. I thought using a thin flathead for leverage to pop the pan off would be ok, I was mistaken lol!!! Fun lesson on how steel is harder than aluminum. Got it off but didn*t care for the mark it left on the block. You live and you learn!
    Always a bad idea to pry it off for chance of gouging mating surfaces. Rubber mallet and a block of wood works pretty good.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Transmission Fluid and Filter
    By upthemiddle in forum Mazda2 Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 01:47 PM
  2. transmission fluid change
    By abkdt41 in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM
  3. Tranny fluid and filter change how to????
    By Expygator in forum CX-9 How-To
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 10:53 PM
  4. How to change transmission fluid
    By volks1218 in forum Mazda5 How-To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
  5. transmission fluid change
    By samsel450r in forum Mazda3 How-To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 05:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •