Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

It's not hard to apply properly at all. If your dealer says so, it's because they have inexperienced techs and do so few of them. Other brands do that every 30 to 50k miles without ever an issue.

A great argument against a weekend warrior tackling the job.

A great argument against a weekend warrior tackling the job.
Similar to a good caulking job, it definitely is not an easy job at least for me. You dont want to apply too much silicon sealant which may get squeezed out and fall into the ATF pan; too little may fail to have a good sealing function.

My opinion on ATF change is the same as this Scotty Kilmer guy ⋯

IMO... if you have enough metal to clog up that AT filter one has bigger issues than just bad fluid.

I'm gonna do my partial change really...really soon.. I'm still at around 45-46K miles.

IMO... if you have enough metal to clog up that AT filter one has bigger issues than just bad fluid.

I'm gonna do my partial change really...really soon.. I'm still at around 45-46K miles.
I agree.

I wouldnt worry too much to drain-and-fill the ATF at 46K miles. I plan to do mine after 50K miles.

Have you done anything on your small engine oil leak?

I agree.

I wouldn*t worry too much to drain-and-fill the ATF at 46K miles. I plan to do mine after 50K miles.

Have you done anything on your small engine oil leak?

It has again apparently subsided for the summer but I'll report back if it appears more noticeable when I partial change AT fluid. Not forgotten :)

Yep, if you have a clog the thing won't even run

Finally got around to the AT drain & refill at 103K miles. Drained fluid looked like strong coffee! Will repeat two more times with about 1K miles in between. Highway driving is about 65% of my miles. Definitely won't wait so long on any future car with "lifetime" fluid. Transmission seems to shift more smoothly, but could just be me. Wasn't experiencing any issues previously just trying to get the most miles on this vehicle as possible.

Finally got around to the AT drain & refill at 103K miles. Drained fluid looked like strong coffee! Will repeat two more times with about 1K miles in between. Highway driving is about 65% of my miles. Definitely won't wait so long on any future car with "lifetime" fluid. Transmission seems to shift more smoothly, but could just be me. Wasn't experiencing any issues previously just trying to get the most miles on this vehicle as possible.
Great to have enough courage doing the first ATF drain-and-fill at 103K miles! Honestly Id do the same no matter what. Hope you have nothing but good results from your ATF change. One thing I wouldnt do is to wait for 1K miles for the next 2 changes. The fresh and old ATF will be fixed immediately by the ATF pump. Id wait for a week or two, or a couple hundreds of miles in between to do the subsequent ATF changes. I imagine you used only genuine Mazda ATF FZ, nothing else. :)

Where are you guys buying this stuff as I have checked a few Mazda sites and they don't have it.
I'm usually getting Mazda parts from my Mazda dealer with 20% off from MSRP. Our previous sponsor Med Center Mazda should have it too. Or try mazdastuff.com used by bob ross.

Spark plug structure looked identical although there seemed to be some different metal coloring on OEM. I was so mad they sent me NGK, I really didn't look at them much beyond wrapping and shipping back!
I did not trust myself to drop the pan and seal - so I had a mechanic do it. It took him some time. The fluid looked worn, but not burnt. I can't comment on color.
I suspect it was under filled from factory. I bought 2 bottle per recommendation on this forum. I chose the more expensive lube since I will not do this same service until 150k and judging how the car was running - that's about the limit. IMO of course.

Parts breakdown from mazdastuff.com (please note they corrected the spark plug mixup right away)

0000-77-SG1-QT Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-77-SG1-QT | Lng Life Hyp Gear Oil Sg1
2 $21.56 $43.12

PE5R-18-110 Mazda Genuine Part Number PE5R-18-110 | Plug,Spark
4 $22.88 $91.52

9956-41-400 Mazda Genuine Part Number 9956-41-400 | Gasket
2 $0.84 $1.68

0000-FZ-113E-01 Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-FZ-113E-01 | Atf Type-Fz
6 $10.72 $64.32

FZ01-21-500 Mazda Genuine Part Number FZ01-21-500 | Strainer,Oil
1 $27.56

You are case study 1, then. Please keep us updated! I wish you'd sent a sample for analysis.

You are case study 1, then. Please keep us updated! I wish you'd sent a sample for analysis.

Lol, I dont think we can make you happy Un! I shared my ATF Blackstone analysis showing that the viscosity had fallen out of spec, and was mildly flamed for doing the service at all 🤣

Lol, I don*t think we can make you happy Un! I shared my ATF Blackstone analysis showing that the viscosity had fallen out of spec, and was mildly flamed for doing the service at all ��

What mileage was this done at?

51k, see this thread first post if you want to see the Blackstone analysis.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123864201-51-000-Mile-Transmission-Fluid-(ATF)-Analysis-Results

Fantastic fluid, but I prefer the piece of mind in changing it every 50k if thats how much it took to thin it out a smidge below spec. Ill go with their guess, must be Florida heat.

Last edited:
51k, see this thread first post if you want to see the Blackstone analysis.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ile-Transmission-Fluid-(ATF)-Analysis-Results

Fantastic fluid, but I prefer the piece of mind in changing it every 50k if that*s how much it took to thin it out a smidge below spec. I*ll go with their guess, must be Florida heat.

I'm at 70k miles, fast approaching 71k.

I'm going to go ahead and look at doing some drain/fills. Don't really feel comfortable dropping the pan and applying the new gasket myself, but figured at least getting some new fluid in there should be a good idea. What like 2 or 3 drain/fills?

I'm at 70k miles, fast approaching 71k.

I'm going to go ahead and look at doing some drain/fills. Don't really feel comfortable dropping the pan and applying the new gasket myself, but figured at least getting some new fluid in there should be a good idea. What like 2 or 3 drain/fills?

From what Ive read, 1 should be enough to restore ATF viscosity. First drain was almost brown, didnt look blue. Color isnt necessarily an indicator of quality as we know, but it drained pretty dark (but blue this time!) when doing the second fill. 2 is probably fine. I did 3 even though that could admittedly be overkill for a lifetime fluid, but gives you the best overall mix of new to old ATF for your effort. A 4th drain and fill adds only a marginal amount of new to old.

I wouldnt drop the pan under 100k and I dont blame you for not wanting to. Pans stuck to a vehicle with silicone are a PITA to remove. I marred the transmission block a little when I dropped the pan to do a drain and fill on my 05 Focus years ago.

Last edited:
Transmission fluid change without fi

From what Ive read, 1 should be enough to restore ATF viscosity. First drain was almost brown, didnt look blue. Color isnt necessarily an indicator of quality as we know, but it drained pretty dark (but blue this time!) when doing the second fill. 2 is probably fine. I did 3 even though that could admittedly be overkill for a lifetime fluid, but gives you the best overall mix of new to old ATF for your effort. A 4th drain and fill adds only a marginal amount of new to old.

I wouldnt drop the pan under 100k and I dont blame you for not wanting to. Pans stuck to a vehicle with silicone are a PITA to remove. I marred the transmission block a little when I dropped the pan to do a drain and fill on my 05 Focus years ago.
My thinking on CX-5 ATF change is exactly like you! Except I may do at most 2X due to my laziness. :)

Yeah it's the removing (cleanly) not applying the silicon seal is PITA! But others had said it's a piece of cake ⋯

Latest posts

Back