Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    This third one was 3 quarts 17 ounces (3.53 quarts)

2nd again was 3.31 quarts

and first was 3.72 quarts

I didn't do another level test in near future. I will do that before I put the under splash cover back on. I still have ~1.5 quarts left.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 53K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Did you find any fine metal particles in the bottom of the drained fluid?

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    Did you find any fine metal particles in the bottom of the drained fluid?
    I never saw anything noticeable in my drained fluid.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Is there a reason that people don't remove the transmission pan and filter to do a transmission fluid drain?

Registered Member

2018 CX 5 Touring AWD

IIRC there is no gasket, sealer must be used.

Registered Member

Good morning,

This is my first post on the forum.

A little perspective on my car.

We own 2017 CX-5 Touring AWD, with 40,xxx miles. So it has been driven more than average, with mixture of long and short distances. My wife commutes to work daily with 1 mile drive 😊.The car is garaged, and we live in small town. So heavy stop and go traffic does not exist. The car is in excellent shape both visually and mechanically. My wife likes it very much!
    Except for 2 dealer free oil changes, I have done all the service myself. I stick to 5000 miles service intervals.

I would like to share my observations and experience while performing the transmission fluid change along my 40,000 mile service. I know that the service manual does not specify intervals for this job, but I have done it anyway since there is a fill and drain plug, and Mazda sells filter and appropriate gear oil.

1. The old transmission filter looked really clean.
    2. The transmission pan magnet had ZERO, I repeat ZERO metal shavings. The bottom pan was really clean.
    3. I have installed a new filter, put the new RTV gasket, bolted the pan (6 ft lb), and let the pan sit 24 hours to cure before adding the oil.
    4. I have drained about 4.5 quarts of the Mazda OE oil, so I have refilled the transmission with the same amount. The old oil looked OK.

IMO, this is not a difficult job at all. Breaking the old seal took some time (putty knife works really well), and the Goo Remover was really helpful in removing some old gasket on the pan. While you are there you can change the engine oil and do the transfer case fluid change as well.

Now the question is, whether this is worth doing of not? I am glad I did it, and it only cost me about $120 for the fluid, filter, and RTV gasket maker. For the next service, I will wait until 90 or 100K miles. Based on condition of my old transmission filter, and lack of metal shaving, maybe drain and fill is a way to go, who knows.

Cheers,
    Jarek
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (1.03 MB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (727.5 KB, 20 views)

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek View Post
    4. I have drained about 4.5 quarts of the Mazda OE oil, so I have refilled the transmission with the same amount.
    Did you measure the level on the dipstick? Most have found levels to be low from factory such that a simple "same amount" replacement doesn't really work on the first change.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 87k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

I don't plan on ever doing a fluid change. The more I learn about modern transmissions the more I realize why they are in fact lifetime fills. We are lucky to put 10k/year on. I highly doubt I'll have this vehicle 15 years in the worst area of the rust belt in the country. Seems like a waste of time frankly. I used to think oil needed changed every 3k or 3 months too...

Registered Member

Yes, I have measured the level with the dipstick before and after addition. Plus I have measured what I have collected which was 4.5 quarts.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda 6 Sport

Yes, I have measured the level with the dipstick before and after addition. Plus I have measured what I have collected which was 4.5 quarts.
    where was the level on the dipstick showing before and after? was this cold or warmed up?

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

Good morning,

This is my first post on the forum.

A little perspective on my car.

We own 2017 CX-5 Touring AWD, with 40,xxx miles. So it has been driven more than average, with mixture of long and short distances. My wife commutes to work daily with 1 mile drive ��.The car is garaged, and we live in small town. So heavy stop and go traffic does not exist. The car is in excellent shape both visually and mechanically. My wife likes it very much!
    Except for 2 dealer free oil changes, I have done all the service myself. I stick to 5000 miles service intervals.

I would like to share my observations and experience while performing the transmission fluid change along my 40,000 mile service. I know that the service manual does not specify intervals for this job, but I have done it anyway since there is a fill and drain plug, and Mazda sells filter and appropriate gear oil.

1. The old transmission filter looked really clean.
    2. The transmission pan magnet had ZERO, I repeat ZERO metal shavings. The bottom pan was really clean.
    3. I have installed a new filter, put the new RTV gasket, bolted the pan (6 ft lb), and let the pan sit 24 hours to cure before adding the oil.
    4. I have drained about 4.5 quarts of the Mazda OE oil, so I have refilled the transmission with the same amount. The old oil looked OK.

IMO, this is not a difficult job at all. Breaking the old seal took some time (putty knife works really well), and the Goo Remover was really helpful in removing some old gasket on the pan. While you are there you can change the engine oil and do the transfer case fluid change as well.

Now the question is, whether this is worth doing of not? I am glad I did it, and it only cost me about $120 for the fluid, filter, and RTV gasket maker. For the next service, I will wait until 90 or 100K miles. Based on condition of my old transmission filter, and lack of metal shaving, maybe drain and fill is a way to go, who knows.

Cheers,
    Jarek
    Thanks. Hearing about the lack of deposits in the pan at 40K is very useful information.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by kpaxfaq View Post
    I don't plan on ever doing a fluid change. The more I learn about modern transmissions the more I realize why they are in fact lifetime fills. We are lucky to put 10k/year on. I highly doubt I'll have this vehicle 15 years in the worst area of the rust belt in the country. Seems like a waste of time frankly. I used to think oil needed changed every 3k or 3 months too...
    I guess if you only buy new cars that would work. Heck you could buy/lease a new car every single year and never even do an oil change! But what about the next guy to have the car? Meanwhile for the rest of us who keep cars a long time, fluid changes are needed. Lifetime fluid is a ridiculous concept. Any type of lubricating fluid eventually gets dirty and wears out.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 370K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 96K miles, the family hauler
    2000 Mazda Miata LS - 155K miles, the corner carving machine!

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

I bet by 60k, oil analysis would indicate all lubricating additives would be spent. By 100k if not changed....the metal shavings themselves would be the lubricating agents.

I just do drain and fills because I may want to keep the car through 150k miles in severe (desert heat) conditions AND be able to give or sell car to friends/family with added peace of mind.
    Last edited by CX-5um; 10-29-2019 at 02:01 PM.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

*.so you guys change out your wheel bearings every 60,000 miles? Does anyone know what the extent of transmission life testing Mazda performed to justify their stance on this issue? I have worked with Japanese engineers before and found them to be extremely thorough when it comes to reliability testing.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    *.so you guys change out your wheel bearings every 60,000 miles? Does anyone know what the extent of transmission life testing Mazda performed to justify their stance on this issue? I have worked with Japanese engineers before and found them to be extremely thorough when it comes to reliability testing.
    Apples to apples, oranges to oranges. Not a fair comparison.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast