Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

I need to get on this AT fluid swap... I have the fluid just trying to find some time to do it. Lots of auto maintenance piling up and now need to get my sleds ready for winter.

What is best price one is finding for the fluid at now?

Price you found is the best that I have seen. I paid about $11 a quart at Headquarter Mazda back in April (Orlando area).

Well of COURSE, I changed the engine oil in our car last weekend and forgot to take a sample to use for analysis whenever the kits come in. DOH!

What is best price one is finding for the fluid at now?

I reached out to Matt @ oemvehicleparts and he is offering 33% off "shipping" with code: MAZDAS247

https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-atf-type-fz-0000fz113e01

Fluid is priced at $10.08 at his site and I notice he doesn't charge a handling fee like some do. This would apply to all parts.

Holy crap is it really that cheap there? I checked on the GF-5 0w-20 moly oil, $6.05 a quart!!! Case of 12 on Amazon is over 100, but from this place it would only be 75-ish, unless they get you on shipping.

Got my 3 Blackstone sample kits today. Now I need to get around to ordering the ATF. 12 quarts is it?
If you plan to do drain-and-fill 3 times, you may be able to get by with 11 quarts of Mazda ATF FZ. You need 3.5~3.8 quarts for each drain-and-fill. So you can put 3.5 quarts for the first two, with 4 quarts left ready for the final run. You only install new drain plug washer in final ATF change too.

Got my 3 Blackstone sample kits today. Now I need to get around to ordering the ATF. 12 quarts is it?
I used 11 quarts with my 3 drain and fills. My first drain of factory fill was 3.5 qts. Subsequent drains were whatever amount I replaced that fluid in. My factory fill was low so that was a little bit of experimenting on my part.

Replacing that 3.5 qts with 3.7 qts ended up being the magic number on mine. YMMV though so do your own proper measurements.

Holy crap is it really that cheap there? I checked on the GF-5 0w-20 moly oil, $6.05 a quart!!! Case of 12 on Amazon is over 100, but from this place it would only be 75-ish, unless they get you on shipping.

They don't appear to charge state sales tax either. It is still cheaper than Amazon and noticeably cheaper for me since Amazon charges sales tax where I live.

There you go, shipping. Two oil filters and a case of oil (12 quarts) costs $32.77 for shipping to my location.

There you go, shipping. Two oil filters and a case of oil (12 quarts) costs $32.77 for shipping to my location.

Before sales tax for me it still ends up being $15 cheaper than Avondale Mazda on Amazon... then sales tax for me puts the spread at like $26. Just an option to remember about.

Hey guys I never did get around to ordering the ATF until just now. Car has about 88K on it now. Just ordered 12 quarts of Type FZ ATF from RealMazdaParts.com and it came out to $159 shipped to my office. https://www.realmazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-atf-type-fz-0000fz113e01

I need to pick up some sort of scan tool since I could stand to have one in my garage anyway. Not sure if I want to get one of the $100 ones or one of the $30 ones.
Looks like youre going to do drain-and-fill 3 times? No transmission filter cartridge replacement?

$13.25 per quart on Mazda FZ ATF is an excellent price.

You can go cheap getting those OBDII reader for ~$5 on eBay like Christ_Top_Her suggested. Or just use blue engine coolant temperature light as an indicator.

Read this How-To thread if you havent:

ATF Drain/Fill

Hey guys I never did get around to ordering the ATF until just now. Car has about 88K on it now. Just ordered 12 quarts of Type FZ ATF from RealMazdaParts.com and it came out to $159 shipped to my office. https://www.realmazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-atf-type-fz-0000fz113e01

I need to pick up some sort of scan tool since I could stand to have one in my garage anyway. Not sure if I want to get one of the $100 ones or one of the $30 ones.

Pretty good deal if that is including shipping costs. I am also assuming 3 drain/fills? That's what I did with mine back in September.

I just did a first change on my '12 Lexus GX 460... I will need to do at least 3 or 4 more as it holds around 12 quarts. This vehicle has 55K miles and my experience is not unique. Toyota/Lexus likes to claim this is "Lifetime" too.

I was going to change fluid on CX-5 anyway as I already have the fluid but this will definitely move the process along. I will look but any quick PNs to crush washer on drain plug. I will look around. Thanks!

img_0389_3be81931986f28e9dd62c0ffb25f45598d9bbd5f.jpg

img_0392_0435d25747f5b0a15880b88d388c431b8f96a6e5.jpg

Back