Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

thanks. back to the ground I go. I didn't even check the stick level after the fill. before I did the job, I ran the car until blue light went off. then the stick showed fluid on the 122F marker line. so didn't seem like it was right in the middle. yesterday the car was shifting smoother. seemed like it fixed the cold rough shifts I had upon engine start. Lifetime fluid my ass.

Lifetime as long as the tranny operates...and when it no longer does, then it has hit its life's time. Our perspective and definition compared to an auto maker's...all how one perceives it (and the lawyers approved it).

No. That is an ATF cooler or heat exchanger with engine coolant and ATF circulating inside.

The diagram makes it look like a heater, rather than heat exchanger. It shows both types of fluid going in cold and coming out hot.

Just finished the second half of my transmission drain and fill this morning after starting yesterday.Mileage was 44,165 miles on factory fluid.

Yesterday---- drained out 3-3/8 (3.38) quarts.Added back 3.75 qts.Didn't go thru the rigamarole to check at 122*F etc.Lifetime fluid my arse,it looked like black motor oil.Not the deep inky black of thoroughly trashed oil, but black.The stream while draining looked a deep amber.Since 90-95% of my driving is around town and suburban,that might have something to do with it.Car shifted sweet and seemed smoother afterward.Put some around town and highway miles on it to mix.
Today------ Unsure if I got all the fluid out yesterday, I made sure the front and side to side was elevated enough to get the most fluid out.Drained out exactly the same 3.75 qts I added yesterday which tells me that it was underfilled from the factory (anything above 3.75 would be added to the 3.38 I drained yesterday to give the true factory fill).

I'll do a better level check at some point but I'm finished with it for now as I'm tired of foolin' with it .In the last 3 weeks I've done:

1) Oil& filter change (first time for me on this car--always done by dealer until now -- prior to the CX-5 I had a mere 42 years of oil change experience,so somebody else could do it for a while)
2) Front brakes -- changed my tune about using OEM Mazda pads and put on (significantly less expensive) Raybestos Element3 Hybrid pads that even came with hardware.They grip better and modulate better.So far,so good.
3) Coolant drain and fill -- used Zerex blue Asian Formula.Exactly 2 gallons including the coolant overflow bottle.
4) the tranny D&F mentioned above.
The idea is to carry this car to 90-95 K miles /5-6 years with only oil changes and other filters and wipers etc.Little stuff and of course mandatory unseen repairs.
***** Philosophical Note ---- working outside doing this stuff in the heat and humidity makes me question if I want to tackle some of this stuff in 5-6 years.I'll be 75-76 years old then and might be tempted to trade some of my tools to somebody younger to do the work.In the last 7-8 years the "shine" has worn off and it's more a chore than being enjoyable and "bonding with my baby".I can't be the only one who feels this way.
*** Price of Mazda FZ fluid - I got 8 qts from a Mazda dealer in Florida and with shipping($20) paid $105.It was a little over $10 a qt.They were a week behind in their orders and it took 2 weeks to get it.I've since noticed that Jake Sweeney Mazda in Cincinnati sells it for a dollar a qt more but has available for quick shipping.Just heads up.

2) Front brakes -- changed my tune about using OEM Mazda pads and put on (significantly less expensive) Raybestos Element3 Hybrid pads that even came with hardware.They grip better and modulate better.So far,so good.

I’m really liking the Akebono pads I put on all 4 corners with the painted rotors I picked up from Advance. They stop better than new. Even my wife noticed afterwards lol!

nice job on the ATF drain and fills. about a year and a half out from doing my again along with a coolant flush.

Just finished the second half of my transmission drain and fill this morning after starting yesterday.Mileage was 44,165 miles on factory fluid.
Thanks for sharing your experience. This reminds me the ATF drain-and-fill time for my 2016 CX-5 is getting closer.

Drained out exactly the same 3.75 qts I added yesterday which tells me that it was underfilled from the factory (anything above 3.75 would be added to the 3.38 I drained yesterday to give the true factory fill).
Another confirmation that Mazda under-filled ATF from the factory for some unknown reason.

I'll do a better level check at some point but I'm finished with it for now as I'm tired of foolin' with it .In the last 3 weeks I've done:

1) Oil& filter change (first time for me on this car--always done by dealer until now -- prior to the CX-5 I had a mere 42 years of oil change experience,so somebody else could do it for a while)
:) Sometimes I have exactly the same feeling while working on cars nowadays ⋯

I may still try OEM pads when the time comes.

3) Coolant drain and fill -- used Zerex blue Asian Formula.Exactly 2 gallons including the coolant overflow bottle.
Any reason why you changed the coolant so early as the recommended first change interval is 120,000 miles or 10 years?

4) the tranny D&F mentioned above.
The idea is to carry this car to 90-95 K miles /5-6 years with only oil changes and other filters and wipers etc.Little stuff and of course mandatory unseen repairs.
Should have no problems on your plan.

***** Philosophical Note ---- working outside doing this stuff in the heat and humidity makes me question if I want to tackle some of this stuff in 5-6 years.I'll be 75-76 years old then and might be tempted to trade some of my tools to somebody younger to do the work.In the last 7-8 years the "shine" has worn off and it's more a chore than being enjoyable and "bonding with my baby".I can't be the only one who feels this way.
Yes, yes, yes, same feeling here ⋯ :confused:

yrwei52 -- thanks for your comments. Looks like we are on the "same page" regarding some things.
I changed the coolant for the same reason I did the tranny fluid.Based on gut feel and prior experience with cars over the years,I just don't trust some of these extended maintenance intervals suggested by the manufacturers."Lifetime transmission fluid" ---we see how that one is playing out here on the forum.And TEN years on coolant? Seems too long to me. Call me old school but I sleep better with my decisions and besides the Zerex was only $15 a gallon with Advance Auto's 25% online discount.Along with the other work done it seemed like a good time to refresh it so all of the bigger stuff is done for the next 5-6 years.

I did a drain and fill at 50 and 75K miles. At 110K I dropped the pan, replaced the filter and refilled. On the basic drain and fills I got maybe 4 quarts max. On the pan drop it was closer to six. The car now has 118K miles o it.

I still haven't gotten around to doing the fluid change on our 2014, and it's at ~108K at this point. Wondering if I should go on and do the filter change...

I still haven't gotten around to doing the fluid change on our 2014, and it's at ~108K at this point. Wondering if I should go on and do the filter change...
If I were you, I would, as long as I’m not afraid of cleaning up those old silicon seal without scratching the sealing surface.

Thanks to this forum, I just completed 2 drain/fill 's on my 16' Mazda 3 (58,000 miles). Observations:

-fluid was black (looked like motor oil), no burnt smell
-dipstick access: easy from above. I removed the entire box assembly and then reconnected the top part (roof of the box) to the air intake hose with the sensor attached. This is easily moved out of the way so that you can reach down for the dipstick. It also allows you to run the can when checking the level.
-The first drain I had the entire car off of the ground and level. Drained 3.7 quarts. I cooled the drained fluid to room temp and refilled the exact amount. Level was low (temp 50C, running) by 0.3 qt (I used all of the the 4 qt's I bought).
-The second drain/fill I performed with only the front of the car off of the ground (lazy). Drained 3.3 qt. Equalized the temp of the the drain/new fluid and refilled same amount . Fluid level was perfect (all 4 wheels back on the ground).
-Regarding ATF temp, I used Forscan connected via OBDLink EX Forscan OBD Adapter. Purchased an extended license since family has 2 Mazda's that we keep forever (and I'm eyeing the new Bronco). ATF temp is displayed in real time...check level when it hits 50C.
-biggest pain of the job is the huge plastic shrouding underneath.
-OEM Mazda FZ ATF is made by Idemitsu (says so on the back of the bottle). Interesting that they don't have their own FZ product (probably not allowed to by Mazda). Here's hoping that someday they offer their one for less money.

All in all, it was a very worthwhile project. The lifetime claim is laughable, besides the tranny was underfilled from the factory. After 2 fills, the fluid on the dipstick looked clear and clean. Shifting is back to being silky smooth.

Thx to all who contributed to this very helpful thread!
RB

Thanks to this forum, I just completed 2 drain/fill 's on my 16' Mazda 3 (58,000 miles). Observations:

All in all, it was a very worthwhile project. The lifetime claim is laughable, besides the tranny was underfilled from the factory.
Thanks for sharing your valuable experience. It definitely would help those who want to DIY on ATF drain-and-fill. This’s another confirmation that Mazda under-filled ATF from factory! This should be a legit reason to change the ATF and make the ATF to be at correct level in addition to have fresher fluid.

For those that drop the pan. Is the gasket a silicone type?
No gasket. It uses silicon seal from factory although you may be able to find aftermarket traditional cork gasket for the ATF pan.

looks like all generations use the following for the automatic transmission:
Automatic Transmission Gasket Set - Mazda FZ21-22-900B

I couldn't find any third party aftermarket solutions.

No gasket. It uses silicon seal from factory although you may be able to find aftermarket traditional cork gasket for the ATF pan.
Thanks for confirming. Because the dealer told me it was a silicone type and the videos i saw on youtube use the cork type one.

Back