Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 AWD GT

Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

Just rolled 100K miles on my 2014 CX-5 GT and after reading several comments in forums about realities of "lifetime" transmission fluid, decided to contact my local dealer to inquire about fluid drain/refill and filter change. They said they do the D/R but not filter change. I was surprised to hear that. Just assumed filter change would be a no brainer, understanding that the transmission pan has to be dropped to change the filter.

Wondering what you all think about just doing the D/R without filter change? Seems to me like that would reduce the benefit of having new fluid?
    Thanks
    L

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

I would do the D/R without filter. Filter will not need to be changed, and this way there is no messing with dropping pan, installing new gaskets, etc.
    Use the MAZDA OE FLUID.
    Do not forget to service your AWD REAR DIFF OIL also.

Last edited by mazdadude; 07-26-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 AWD GT

Quote Originally Posted by mazdadude View Post
    I would do the D/R without filter. Filter will not need to be changed, and this way there is no messing with dropping pan, installing new gaskets, etc.
    Use the MAZDA OE FLUID.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm current with Rear Diff service.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Yeah, can only replace filter if you drop the pan which will also mean you need a new gasket to put the pan back on.

A drain/fill will just be a drain from the drain plug and refilling.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Yeah, can only replace filter if you drop the pan which will also mean you need a new gasket to put the pan back on.

A drain/fill will just be a drain from the drain plug and refilling.
    There's no ATF pan gasket, Mazda uses silicon seal there instead. Although there's aftermarket pan gasket available now from Taiwan, but Mazda dealers would only follow the factory approved procedure using the silicon seal.

Quote Originally Posted by LRopka View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'm current with Rear Diff service.
    In addition to rear differential, there's front transfer case needs to have gear lubricant changed.

Quote Originally Posted by LRopka View Post
    Just rolled 100K miles on my 2014 CX-5 GT and after reading several comments in forums about realities of "lifetime" transmission fluid, decided to contact my local dealer to inquire about fluid drain/refill and filter change. They said they do the D/R but not filter change. I was surprised to hear that. Just assumed filter change would be a no brainer, understanding that the transmission pan has to be dropped to change the filter.

Wondering what you all think about just doing the D/R without filter change? Seems to me like that would reduce the benefit of having new fluid?
    Thanks
    L
    At 100,000 miles I'd be a little careful on changing ATF. If you're going to keep your CX-5 for another 20K or 30K miles at most you shouldn't change it. If you're going to keep the CX-5 as long as you can it would be a tough call. I personally would do the drain and fill with filter change under your situation, but would do it at a Mazda dealer so that if something bad happens afterwards I may be able to get some help from my Mazda dealer. Do ask this question to your service advisor, and try to put some assurance on the invoice from your dealer. Ask the SA why do they not change the filter even if you want to pay more and do it? It could be their tech has no experience of doing this and you may try another Mazda dealer. If everything fails, you still can settle for ATF drain-and-fill only. It won't hurt to ask if your dealer is using Mazda FZ ATF as Mazda do have different ATF for different automatic transmissions.

The theory of not changing the ATF when it's too old is the fresher ATF would have stronger detergent which may wash some accumulated debris into the valve body which in term clogs the tiny ATF routes inside. That's why many people suggest don't do the first ATF change if the mileage is high.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    At 100,000 miles I'd be a little careful on changing ATF. If you're going to keep your CX-5 for another 20K or 30K miles at most you shouldn't change it. If you're going to keep the CX-5 as long as you can it would be a tough call. I personally would do the drain and fill with filter change under your situation, but would do it at a Mazda dealer so that if something bad happens afterwards I may be able to get some help from my Mazda dealer. Do ask this question to your service advisor, and try to put some assurance on the invoice from your dealer. Ask the SA why do they not change the filter even if you want to pay more and do it? It could be their tech has no experience of doing this and you may try another Mazda dealer. If everything fails, you still can settle for ATF drain-and-fill only. It won't hurt to ask if your dealer is using Mazda FZ ATF as Mazda do have different ATF for different automatic transmissions.

The theory of not changing the ATF when it's too old is the fresher ATF would have stronger detergent which may wash some accumulated debris into the valve body which in term clogs the tiny ATF routes inside. That's why many people suggest don't do the first ATF change if the mileage is high.
    What's the consensus on mileage threshold? Say am I still good at 70k to try?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

If I were you, I'd do drain-and-fill right now, may be do it the second time within 1~2 weeks.

My 182K Honda CR-V has 75K ATF drain-and-fill maintenance schedule by manufacture. And my first change was made around 70K miles.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

I don't see the big deal in changing the filter if you want, while you're under there with the plastic panels down it might be like a good idea. The gasket might be a PITA if it is a silicone thing. My 97 Voyager was the same way until they came out with a reusable one. Just make sure you clean the mating surfaces real good before putting new gasket material on and don't use so much that it squeezes into the transmission when you bolt the pan back on. I believe the procedure calls for new pan bolts to be used if I'm not mistaken.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

I changed fluid on my Jeep at 68K miles. It had the 545RFE, which by all accounts is a decent slushbox, and it had a tq converter shudder ever since then. Datapoint of 1, on an unrelated transmission.

Banned

2016 Mazda CX-5

Use the MAZDA OE FLUID.

Do you change your engine oil without changing the filter?

Why would you do the same with your transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by Humid Hummus View Post
    Do you change your engine oil without changing the filter?

Why would you do the same with your transmission?
    Changing the engine oil filter does not require dropping the oil pan, and re sealing the pan to change filter like it does on the transmission.

The TRANSMISSION filter is just a simple screen, it is not a fiber paper element like the engine oil filter. If the mesh screen in your trans filter has enough material on it to cause blockage, you will be having OTHER issues.

Banned

2016 Mazda CX-5

Changing the engine oil filter does not require dropping the oil pan, and re sealing the pan to change filter like it does on the transmission.

The TRANSMISSION filter is just a simple screen, it is not a fiber paper element like the engine oil filter. If the mesh screen in your trans filter has enough material on it to cause blockage, you will be having OTHER issues.
    Incorrect. The transmission filter also has a magnet which traps metal shavings that break off from the transmission components. If you dropped your pan and looked at this filter after 60K, you'll be happy you did.

If the filter has enough material on it to cause blockage, that means you did not maintain your transmission properly and a drain/fill will simply increase the chances of breaking those little shavings free and getting them stuck in one of the transmissions many intricate passageways. This is why I recommend not to touch your transmission at all if you don't plan on changing the pan filter, because you're just going to have more problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Humid Hummus View Post
    Incorrect. The transmission filter also has a magnet which traps metal shavings that break off from the transmission components. If you dropped your pan and looked at this filter after 60K, you'll be happy you did.

If the filter has enough material on it to cause blockage, that means you did not maintain your transmission properly and a drain/fill will simply increase the chances of breaking those little shavings free and getting them stuck in one of the transmissions many intricate passageways. This is why I recommend not to touch your transmission at all if you don't plan on changing the pan filter, because you're just going to have more problems.
    Please show us a picture of this dirty filter and magnet with metal shavings!

If there is a magnet in the filter, the magnet is still going to be there, you are not breaking off shavings when you change your oil.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast